Star Citizen - Alpha 2.0 Now Available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Roberts Space Industries, the company behind the hugely popular Star Citizen space simulation game have announced today that the game's Alpha 2.0 version is now available for all backers to play....

Star Citizen - Alpha 2.0 Now Available

2. Martinfield

Martinfield Guest

GPU:
    2x 290x @1075
    I'll just make a quick note before haters arrive :)

Game costs 45$ right now (no, you don't need to spend 15000$), and you get full alpha/beta access until the game is (hopefully) released 2016/2017. There'll be a big singleplayer campaign and a MMO included. Check out reddit/r/starcitizen if you want to know more.

3. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    The above post has been brought to you by Roberts Space Industries.

4. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    :) :)

I wasted a long time ago $60 in this :bang:
    Probably i will be in my 80's and the game will be reaching beta...

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I look forward to the final reviews.

6. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    hey guys remember if you are gonna play this game use this code STAR-MPYV-5XCH and recieve an extra 5000 UEC (in-game currency worth over 5$ !) i play this game since 58 million was reached and this is gonna be it guys ! a pearl !

7. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    Still a very long way to go for SC, not expecting it to hit until 2017 at the earliest.

8. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    You might want to leave such an instruction in your will - 'Please ensure a medium contacts me in the afterlife with the review scores' - old age will get to you before any final reviews... :p

9. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Bunch of useless trolls berating a game they've never even tried.

Newsflash you hating pop-tarts, WOW took 7 years to develop and it had a huge backing by Activision-Blizzard.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    If you're going to make an argument, use one that makes sense.

This comparison to WoW for example, makes no sense at all.

Blizzard did not take over a $100 million dollars from potential players years before the game was even released.

I do 'own' it, it's a joke, and the only reason that there is any movement now is because CR was called out.

While it probably will be released at some point (to avoid the legal repercussions of not releasing it more than anything else), it will be nowhere close to what has been promised.

No point in arguing about it, one group will be right and the other, wrong.

I'll be here to admit it if I'm wrong, will you?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How does it not make sense? Instead of getting $100M from players, Blizzard got it from a bank. Do you really think that they developed WoW over 7 years and spent zero dollars on it's development cost?

It takes time to make games. Blizzard had an entire studio in place when it began development of WoW. CR had nothing. He put it together and started development. The only thing initially promised was a single player campaign and a multiplayer arena. The arena has already been launched essentially -- and the campaign is coming next year. The rest of the **** was all tacked on to the initial campaign. And yeah, he did move the goal posts back with the FPS module being integrated into Squadron 42, but he was waiting for the motion capture to wrap up anyway, so the time cost was sunk regardless. 4 years from the initial money raising campaign is perfectly acceptable. There are plenty of examples of games in production now that have been in development longer, from pre-existing studios.

The amount of bull**** that gets spewed on these forums about this game is mindblowing.

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    hahahhaaha I'll believe it when I see it.

Fortunately for people who are actually interested in Star Citizen, there is already plenty to see and believe. 2.0 has provided a ton of new content, and this is only content that CIG wants backers to see. They likely have 2 to 3 times what 2.0 has that they are currently working on for Squadron 42.

But hey, lets not let facts and support of CIG get in the way of the SC Hate Circlejerk. These guys are *****s! Scammers! There.. better?

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    For someone who claims to have no interest this game, you sure do spend a great deal of time defending it :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'll be here to admit it if I'm wrong, I hope you'll do the same ;)

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No I just spend a great deal of time calling out people with bad arguments. Which happens to be like 99% of people that post in SC threads. The only space game I'm interested in is Valkyrie. I don't care for realistic space simulations. I've wanted a good arcade space shooter game for a long time.

15. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Oh I will admit it. In fact I'll be the first to admit if the game doesn't release. But I like to have faith.

That whole Escapist article about the money being all gone and people quitting and all the crap that was said... most of it was NEVER founded. Their "sources" downright pathetic and even shady at best. Alpha 2.0 has added a lot to what was released before and I think they are now finally getting into the groove where they can really start showing off new developments and production. I think (and hope) that more and more updates will come fast and furious now.

And your comment about legal repercussions... what legal repercussions? Crowdfunding and kickstarting is an inherent risk in and of itself.

But if they decide to disappear and flee with my money, then so be it. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and still be extremely well off financially. I'll definitely call them out on it. But doing so (like Escapist did) without 100% proof is shoddy journalism meant to get hits and readers. They didn't vet their sources well-enough and I hope Roberts wins his defamation lawsuit against them.

Even if the game doesn't come out until 2017, as long as it delivers even 50% of what it promises, then the game will still have a veritable wealthspring of content for gamers to enjoy.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Fair enough bud, I guess we'll see what happens.

Just for the record, I would love to see a great space sim and I understand why people are so desperate for this to be it.

Unfortunately, I remain unconvinced, but time will tell :)

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Snap, me too ;)

18. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    We definitely NEED a good space sim. I just bought a Saitek X52 Pro (and it works flawlessly thank the Chocobo gods).

It makes the dogfighting module in Star Citizen and even just flying around in free flight so much fun!

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's obviously fine to be unconvinced. I just think the hyperbole surrounding it's development cost and time is largely unfounded. The only reason why it seems long is because it's largest scope a game has been developed on, that's entirely crowd sourced. Most games you don't hear about until it's near completion. But so far it's been in development for four years and honestly you can hardly count the first year, it was like 2 people then. So basically 3 years.

And, to be fair, there are also SC evangelists who also think Chris Roberts is the next coming of Jesus and SC will bring peace on earth. I doubt the game will actually ever live up to the hype, mostly because of it's modular release cycle in combination with fans just over-hyping it. But I think Chris should get at-least 5 years of development time to create his vision. Mirror's Edge has been in development for 4 years. Fortnite has been 5 years. The Division is going on year 4 now, with snowdrop being in development for 5. And these are all from established studios.

20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I had it rigged up to the Warthog HOTAS at one point but I need to redo all the bindings as I didn't save the bindings when I redid that PC (Doh!).

That's cool bud and fair comment, we'll see what happens :)

I'm not against giving the guy a fair shot, but I'm also a lifelong member of the Skeptic Party ;)