Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Gameplay Trailer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nah bro, no indie developer has ever spent development money on marketing ever. It doesn't happen. If they did, then why would they have dual kickstarters for games where they raise a separate budget for marketing? /s

2. screecwe

screecwe New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 275 GTX FTW editi
    Erm..nothing about it is misleading. If I say that the first 10 of a specific product is on sale for a lower price, then there is nothing deceptive there at all. It's pretty explicit in fact. Your argument holds no water.

If the person giving money doesn't understand that the costs involved in funding a project consist of paying for everything needed for the company to create the game, including overhead and marketing of the game, then that's on them. If there is no marketing, then the game doesnt grow. If it doesn't grow, then you can't have an MMO. Spending some money on getting the word out is necessary.
    It's called the cost of doing business. You may have heard of it before.

No, they're not. In fact, Chris makes the point that those are pretty boilerplate figures as far as publisher deals go. AAA games are almost always funded by a Publisher. So your idea that "developers don't pay for marketing" is disingenuous. They don't pay for anything. They are contracted by a Publisher to make a game, and get a small amount as payment. But that doesn't magically make it not a part of the budget.

And developers who don't have Publishers absolutely have to pay for their own marketing. Do you think the money appears out of no where?

You can't even keep your story straight in your own post...

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's enough of this conversation now. It is starting to go south now, so I am going to stop it before it goes down anymore.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    1: Well, your analogy was this:

"They are "selling out" of a specific price point for the base level package. Just like a store having a limited quantity of a product at a sale price.

And how could you possibly have an issue with selling two AAA level games for $35? When it comes out, Squadron 42 will be $60 and Star Citizen will be $60.

This deal saves people $85."

Under retail law, if you do not have a limited quantity and basically lie to a consumer saying that you do - then you are being deceptive. As stated it is very hard to prove due to the two pallet issue.

2: If the kickstarter project funding didn't reveal that part of the money was going to be apportioned to other projects and marketing, that is not the fault of the people pledging money. I'm not going to give you an analogy on this, but will add that a good game is its own promotion as reviews and testing by consumers will do that for you. Minecraft springs to mind as a good example - but I'm not going to fight you on this point as it appears to be a belief of yours that 'some things just cost money and you have to suck it up' when the only thing which costs money is poor planning and execution.

3: I'm extremely aware of cost.

4: Development houses have to exist before they get deals like that. Unless they are a break off of a publishing house to begin with, and the publisher cut them a deal to start their own studio. Which I believe happened with Core Design and Edios Interactive. I also have to add, read my comments again because I was not being disingenuous. The route is more in the direction of the publisher than away from the publisher. This is typically because games come from the development houses and studios than the publisher. If, however, you are talking about a franchise (like GTA) then the relationship between development and publisher is really difficult to define from one direction or the other. If the publisher own the franchise then the direction will be from then, if the studio; then it will come from them. Many many many people and departments will get involved and stick their ores in, trying to be the one who steers if the ownership is unclear at a departmental level. As publishers will typically have a big investment under circumstances like that, they will normally win most arguments, unless you are Rockstar in which case you don't even telephone them without fear of them leaving the relationship and going to another publisher.
    In short you need to define your definition of 'cost' and 'pay' before I can accurately answer you. I know you and I know what the words mean, but what is the definition in terms of game development and marketing from your perspective?

5:I think my above points cover this.

6: I think I made it clear, as we were talking in general terms and franchises were broken off as part my paragraph...differentiation should have been explicit. If not, it was not implied.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Actually what I think it's known as you have your own opinion on the matter. That doesn't seem to quite fit with the reality of many developers especially indie developers. There must be some reason why your only example is Rockstar.

6. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AGIBNKA:IL#$QN TGNTGrewgra

I am pretty sure I said no more on the conversation folks!!!!!!!!!

Last warning!

7. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Cry more Loobyluggs. BooHoo. Welcome to ignore.

8. EJocys

EJocys Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Fact is that you would be loosing real $35 now, in exchange for promise that you will "save" $85 in the future. Probably, if you manage to sell these games for $120 to somebody else. Exaggerated value is how publishers separate gulible gamers from their money today. I saved a lot of money and nerves by not doing pre-orders for a lot of games :).

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Does the Star Citizen modules that are currently released support the DK2/VR? Or does it still require you to like hack it together to work?

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    Which matter? The discussion I was having based off someone else's analogy? Be specific. When you say 'indie developer' again, you need to be specific before I can comment as there are many definitions.

Rockstar is a very good example, this is why I chose it.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    Eh? Where did I begin to cry? I was discussing with someone else their analogy. So, um, boohoo yourself??? I don't know where you are coming from on whatever it is you are coming from. I don't see you anywhere in this discussion at all - if you have something worth adding to the discussion then add it, 'sir. If not, then stand in the corner?

So weird...

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    How about you be specific in what it is exactly you're trying to prove except to beat your opinion (and complaints) to death? Seriously, you don't have any interest in the game. You're not going to get the game, yet you've spammed this thread to death. That's pretty much my last words and take on it.

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Next person to ignore my warnings is not only going to get infractions, but they are going to get punched as well! >=[

SERIOUSLY GUYS! Stop adding to that conversation, start new and fresh and keep it nice and clean! As you can see I am not afraid to hand out infractions. I feel like I am passing them out like candy.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    Agreed. If someone wishes to take the discussion of 'developer offers' elsewhere then I am ready to chime in if I have something of value to add.

15. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    2.0 likely to go live today.

16. EJocys

EJocys Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Off-Topic

Hi Mr Kim Jong-something :). This reminded me about some people in real life who came from third world undemocratic countries who could not see anything wrong in policing what topics people are allowed or not allowed to talk in the office :). Nobody took them seriously. Now, I am thinking about new generation of people who grow up in modern society and got used to police thought and ban people on their channels. Ho much of them will bring this practical experience to real environment?

http://9gag.com/gag/avLGBEW/advanced-sarcasm