Standby memory reclaim service (game stuttering fix)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by uKER, May 16, 2019.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    The idea behind it is unused memory is a waste, so the idea is to cache as many apps that are used. The problem is it is not freeing up the memory fast enough, there should be a low limit on free memory and just clear the standby when needed.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    standby memory isn't "Freed", it is loose mapped and can be directly overwritten when required.

3. uKER

uKER Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070
    The bug is that it's neither freed, nor is it reasiggned when other apps ask for memory, at least not before causing major stuttering.

Jackalito likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the stuttering has nothing to do with the application reuse of memory.

the only mapping related issue in standbylist was already fixed, and that was that it would Zero before use, you don't "Zero" the standby cache because its available for immediate overwriting.

the stuttering is an IO issue where standbylist doesn't go into dormancy and the kernel keeps allocating standby list as the application overwrites it.

on 7 and 8, when memory pressure is a factor, the standby cache goes to sleep

on another note, i've never experienced any standby list stuters, but i do keep an appropriate amount of memory and page file based on the memory loads i've seen.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

5. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise Member

GPU:
    1080 GamingX
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. Smough

Smough Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Is it not possible that someone from Guru3D could edit that service themselves and then provice a cmd command to change it or a registry edit?

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im sure there people here that "could" would they want to? probably not seeing how easily windows 10 breaks then people would complain about that breaking something

Smough likes this.
  8. Johnny Gibson

Johnny Gibson New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB EX OC
    In the real world there is a saying "Give em an inch they will take a mile" but in Windows world it is "Give em a MB and it will take a GB" 32 GB of ram will be no different than 16 GB as it might take a little longer but it will happen.

Koniakki likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm seeing posts pop up that this issue is fixed in the latest 1903 updates, anyone tested themselves?

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Remember any specific update packages mentioned so I can test if fixed?

I honestly appreciate the guys who made those Standby mem cache/list cleaners but its has because a real hassle I would rather have not.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019