SSDs will be more expensive the coming months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you want to grab an SSD anytime soon, now might be the right time to pick one up as according to a report from research company DRAMeXchange prices will continue to increase in the fourth quarter ...

SSDs will be more expensive the coming months

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Fortunately I'm not currently lacking SSD space. Anybody who is would have been wise to get one (or more) from the black friday sales anyway.

But if someone is waiting for Zen to build/buy a whole new machine, they will then need to let go of a bit more cash.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    I'm glad i grabbed a 1TB Crucial MX300 on the Black Friday sale for only $229US Dollars , now i got more than enough SSDs space to last me a few years with this new addition for my next built.

4. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    The water flood comes to SSDs now ? When the water comes into the factory, it will choose SSDs instead of HDDs ?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    At least in some US-based stores, there surprisingly weren't that many SSDs on sale. I was considering getting one around 500GB but the prices for most of the decent ones didn't change compared to pre-BF deals.

I am one of those people waiting for Zen (doesn't mean I'll get it, in case we get another Bulldozer) but I won't be buying a new SSD when I get my new rig. I'll be carrying over the drives from my current rig. My old rig doesn't have a use for these old drives anymore once I retire it. I'll likely be sticking some crappy 40GB hard drive in it, since I don't have much of a need for high I/O speeds.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Why i am not convinced ?
    Why i sense somehow we are being fooled again?
    The SSD are victims of their own succes?
    C'mon, i smell BS.
    But i will wait and see.
    Meanwhile i bought an SSD..:stewpid:

7. go4brendon

go4brendon Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    Yea sounds like bs to me. Let's limit production to bring up prices.

8. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Then kiss my ass. :finger:
    Wanted to grab 4Tb, but now, definitely will buy a new card

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Apparently people around here aren't aware of "supply and demand"...

10. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Well that was quick. Just as decent sizes were becoming [ever so slightly] more affordable.

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Prices have already gone up. Couldn't find a decent black friday deal either. I mean they were on sale, but still too much.

12. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    LoL I love like this one and I got agree with I to smell BS.

That odd there where did look it sure most not been new egg I save $20 on Samsung 850 EVO 250GB sure there was no Smoking deal

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    They are. Some think there may be some market manipulation too. It's not like it is unheard of.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Everyone knows this is BS like the HDD "flood" prices which never went back down to normal levels. A 2TB HDD costs more now (here anyway) than the first year 2TB green/low power HDDs were released.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I rather believe these companies are doing this time to time to keep ssd price up..

“Furthermore, the consensus of leading suppliers will continue to be the maximizing of their profitability. Therefore, contract prices of mainstream SSDs are expected to keep climbing during the period,”

this is even more damning I think they make artificial shortage, and I think all manufactures do this even nvidia to drive prices up

that cause HDD prices are higher then before that happen sad part.

there is supply and demand then there is purposely causing the shortage , which is a high probability. Especial if there look for ways to "maximize" the profits. Claim shortage caused issue is one way of many of doing raising the prices IT been done before and it will be done again now and in future.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

16. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    They can put any price they want. I will simply not buy it if I'll find price too high or simply illogical. I don't even care about the reason they claim. They lose money, not me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Its all about finding the right balance between sales volume and price to maximise profitability.
    Artificial prices only work if all sellers keep the price up, once one drops then they will pick up sales and the other brands will suffer sales.

18. Necromancin

Necromancin Guest

I grabbed 2 Samsung 850 evos for 109 each, they retail at stores for 129.99. I also got free shipping, that's the best I could find lol.

19. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Goddamn price fixing. These people need to be put in their place. Price fixing laws need to be enforced with zero tolerance.

20. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I picked up a 1TB 850 Pro that was new and sealed for £250 off ebay back in July, online in the UK they were around £330 at the time. Cheapest on ebay now is around £300 new and sealed, but online stores are around £400, mostly due to Brexit profiteering!