SSD's and Gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SeCALPHA1, Mar 7, 2011.

1. SeCALPHA1

SeCALPHA1 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 X2
    How viable an option are SSD's for gaming?

Currently, I'm running a basic, non-raid setup with a Caviar Black 1tb as my boot/storage, and a dedicated 300gb Velociraptor for gaming (Steam/Games only). I'm building a new rig in the near future and after spending a good amount of time trying to find answers, I feel I need to simply ask others about this issue.

What I want to do is Raid x2 600gb Velociraptors for storage and run a single OCZ vertex 30gb as my boot and another OCZ vertex 240gb for dedicated gaming.

See, my question is: would it be a smart option, considering full performance/speed, to essentially "replace" my dedicated gaming Raptor for a dedicated gaming SSD?

Consider this: Running OC i7 Sandy @ 4.7/5ghz and 8gb Corsair Dominator GT.

Thanks for any and all help

2. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    IMO using Raptors for storage is a waste, unless your using them to encode or something worth taking advatange of their faster speeds, that said, i think the best drives for storage are low powered/rpm drives like WD Green, Samsung F4 and Hitachi Deskstar CoolSpin, Seagate LP. If you dont want to go for 5400/5900 rpm drives, then consider WD Caviar Black, the 2tb version was even faster than 300gb raptor in some tests (not all), but for pure storage i would avoid raptors as they are small size drives, and raid 0 them is just asking for trouble, if its pure storage its best to go with single drive and backup if you have information that you dont want to lose.

SSDs for pure gaming wont do much aside from loading the game and screens faster, maybe in mmos might help changing zones, etc, but the gains on pure gaming performance are almost nothing, still is nice to have with a low rpm hdd for storage, so that would be my choice, and i personally would only go with one ssd and avoid the small 30gb, just one big one should do fine.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Don't bother. You'll spend far more money on a drive large enough and you won't see that much of a speed increase. Stick to using the SSD for a boot drive.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    ^^^ This I agree with too.

SSDs are terrific for installing Windows on as it just makes everything feel uber-responsive the second the desktop appears post-boot. However, as far as loading times in games go there is very little to be gained from running them off an SSD in my experience as the real benefit comes from having Windows on the SSD and your games on an HDD.

5. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    great thread, i was trying to explain to my friend not to throw away $450 dollars on a 240gb ssd for games.

i told him to get a 120gb ssd for the OS and a hybrid seagate drive 500gb for games. and save a ton of cash. but somehow he got this idea that games would run so much better on the ssd. and i cant change his mind

6. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    I have a 120gig vertex 2 for OS and my primary games. My old raptors (250gigs) in raid 0 for programs, swap file, and secondary games. Also have my steam games/client installed on my raptors.

I have a third HD (1 TB Samsung F3) for pictures, music, videos, and documents.

Works really well for me. I have BC2 installed on my SSD, I find I'm usually first to spawn in. My clan mates usually spawn in on me as I'm usually halfway to the objective before they even spawn in.

FYI, I also back everything up via Windows Home Server.

7. CaliMnTSnaKe

CaliMnTSnaKe Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 700/1425
    SSD are cool for the os like Darren said, but as far as gaming goes its a waste because i made this move just recently and the only cool thing is games load way faster. no increase in fps :wanker:

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Do these actually make games load up quicker and evrything else that you load up?I mean games dont take that long anyhow....

9. CaliMnTSnaKe

CaliMnTSnaKe Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 700/1425
    yeah bro certain games i would say load faster then others with the SSD its very noticeable even uninstall/install programs faster too, and windows loads like its on crack very fast.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Depends on the game. 99% of the time it isn't going to be a huge difference. The only thing installed on my SSD is the OS and very few programs that I use daily. Everything else is installed on my 1TB Caviar Black. In BC2 I'm always the 2nd or 3rd person to load into the game. It's just not worth spending hundreds of dollars for that minimal of an increase.

But hey, if you've got the money to blow, be my guest.

11. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    I have over year three OCZ Vertex (two in RAID, one Turbo for system) and regarding games, if you playing online games (anything that load data frequently) for example World of Warcraft, Everquest II or anything like it, its really difference compared to classic HDD, seek and response time is much faster and that means that you wont get (or minimal) fps drops when some data are downloading/streaming.
    Anyway i got Velociraptors (in RAID0) and even single old OCZ Vertex 1 was much faster.
    If you have money for it, go for it, you will never want to go back to use classic HDD.

12. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Not important. Once everything is in RAM your set.

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    so in something like Stalker series, U3Engine streaming games and Gta4 it should help right, less loading stutter at least in stalker or Bulletstorm -u3e?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  14. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Why would you expect increase in fps?

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok i know these SSD's are fast for windows and gaming alittle faster loading inbetween levels etc.

When running in raid are they even faster than what they already are?

Edit:I do have a 10000rpm raptor 300gb and i do get into games normally as one of the first when playing online as it is.

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    you might find this article an interesting read.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=23232

for some games there is an improvement in load times, but nothing too dramatic. the main benefits are for windows load times, and app load times.

17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    OTT and pointless imo.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It depends on the game but generally most games load very quickly off my Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD, certainly compared with my Xbox 360 or PS3! On average I'd say most of my PC games load in less than 30 seconds, which is absolutely fine by me. Two Worlds II takes less than five seconds to get to the title screen and that again to resume a save; I doubt an SSD would improve on that much and, even then, what are you going to do with that 5 to 10 seconds you save loading each game anyway? Take a bath, walk the dog, eat a meal??? ;)

Until SSDs guarantee INSTANT loading times then I really do not see the advantage of using one for games over an HDD while both have loading times anyway.

19. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Here's my hard drive setup...;)

[​IMG]

Going right to left. All in 2.5" format...

Drive 1, Intel SSD 160GB - OS
    Drive 2, Kingston SSD 128GB - New Games / Multiplayer
    Drives 3 & 4, Raptors in Raid 0 300GB - Steam
    Drive 5, Scorpio Black 320GB - Old/Older Games

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  20. JmanEspresso

JmanEspresso Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX980 FTW
    I def advocate an SSD for your OS. Now, whether you read that as buying a 30gb SSD, loading windows and firefox onto it and being done, OR you see that as buying a 240gb SSD, loading Windows, Firefox, your main games, and whatever else you like onto it... Is completely up to you.

The main thing I advocate, is putting your operating system on the SSD. (Might as well throw Firefox/Chrome on there as well, barely uses any space). Games? Sure, why not, if you have the space for them, but you prob don't need to spend up to $300, or more, on an SSD JUST for games. Unless you want too of course. But, using one for the OS is an upgrade that, as a whole, just makes your computer FEEL fast. Programs snap right open, you're at the desktop before you even get situated in your chair, its great.

My personal "ideal" hard drive setup for a computer aimed 95% at gaming, but also used for downloading music/movies, and the standard web browsing would be something like this:

1)
    250gb SSD, fastest I could afford.
    -For operating system, main programs, main games
    2x1TB Western Digital Cavair Blacks, 7200rpm/64mb Cache, in Raid 0
    -For everything else.. Music, Movies, Downloaded software, games I dont play frequently but still very much enjoy, etc etc

That way Ive got an SSD which is unnecessarily fast for the main stuff I use on my computer, AND, Ive still got a very fast array for storage of music, pictures and movies.. Not to mention assorted programs.

Oh, and then of course a 3tb external for backup, that I would stress highly how much I need, remind myself everytime I log onto newegg to buy, but never actually purchase because, "oh my drives won't crash today..."