SSD vs. HDD

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Ryman03, Jun 21, 2011.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Yeah I saw some reviews on newegg put the info on what needs to be done in regedit. So TRIM is a feature within the BIOS and Windows, it is not a hardware feature?

Why 8GB? I noticed no difference in any performance going from 6GB to 4GB.

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I went from a 500GB Samsung F3 as a boot to a C300 just last night and it was really noticeable for me, was able to install updates and reboot really quickly and even if you dont want to transition to it fully you can have it as your OS drive and have the other drives as storage. Now in some games depending on how its coded/programmed it can benefit a lot or it will have the similar loadtime but most likely you will see more improvements.

Now remember what people don't know is write speed isn't that important if you're going to install once and use it... because once its written then everything depends on the read speeds an example of that would be the c300s with the low write speed high read speed. But if you do a lot of say... graphics/modeling/photoshop then the write speed will be important because you're constantly creating files.

In my opinion it was worth it, I can reboot anytime I want and be on the desktop quicker and not have to wait longer, my bro has a c300 and 2 vertex 2s on RAID and he was showing off to me and I didn't really believed it till I saw it then I just waited for sales and one came up and I got it. I always felt that my computer was being held back and it kinda was by the harddrive speed but now everything is snappier and nothing left for me to do but go all SSD in the future of course I'll still have my HDD for mass storage and :).

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    An SSD would show no advantage for some multiplayer games because you have to wait for the rest of the players to load. So you paid extra to wait in line longer than before. :p

4. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    New inventions are always faster :banana:
    If you can spend the money. I am planning to buy one as well.

Also read this thread about life expectancy:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4014017#post4014017

Don't forget the 5y warranty from intel!

5. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    When BC2 came out you would have been able to plant the bomb on both stations with a SSD load time, as there was no timeout period at the start of a match.

6. PortBaron

PortBaron Guest

GPU:
    2x SLI gtx 580
    SSDs are useless trash! So what if they are way faster in every other aspect of computing.

7. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    See for yourself:

HDD RAID0 with 2x Hitachi Deskstar 7K 250 GB drives, Windows Vista 64 Ultimate:

[​IMG]

SSD RAID0 with 2x Intel Postville G2 80 GB drives, Windows 7 64 Ultimate:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  8. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    All I know is that it is absolutely painful for me to use computers with traditional mechanical drives after having used my Vertex 2 for about 9 months now. Sure the OS loading faster is nice. But what really gets me is just how grating it is loading applications on other computers, like my laptop. It just takes so incredibly long in comparison to get everything up and running, accessing files has a noticeable lag, it really is true that it's only after you no longer have a SSD that you notice how slow traditional drives are. It reminds me a lot of when I got my Athlon X2. In everyday use it was just so much faster than anything prior that I had ever used, and going and using single-core machines was just utterly painful. And, like a dual-core when they first were coming out it's definitely not necessary but once you make the switch you look back and wonder how you were able to put up with computers prior.

9. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    I went from raid 0 300GB raptors to an ssd and never looked back. Here's my agility 3 240GB bench:

[​IMG]
    By jaxmacfl at 2011-06-22

10. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I have an old school 80GB Intel SSD and I love it, these days SSDs are faster and cheaper so I highly recommend everyone makes the switch. Coupled with a Spinpoint F3 1TB you can't go wrong, space and performance.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    2x "Old" Crucial C300 128gb on Raid0.. ( write speed limited by the size, 256go got double write speed )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    drop caused as the SSD was in use

[​IMG]

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    For the price of a 240gb ssd i could buy a 3gb storage drive running at 7200rpm.

I know ssd's are faster but i mean i get into windows like 10 seconds quicker and my games load up 2 seconds faster,is it really worth it for the sake of a few seconds?

Some people do,some dont,ill have to pop down to my mates house as he has a couple of ssd's,so i can see whether there worth it,atm i dont think they are for the price.

Im currently using raptors since 2008,does the job fine.

13. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Lol I don't know what you guys consider cheap but SSD's are not cheap at all no matter what size you buy. I still can't see how you can justify spending that much money for a few quicker load times. If your editing and all that I can understand but for most people it just makes little to no sense unless your that impatient. I don't know about you but I don't restart my computer all day long lol.

I want one but not until they are A LOT cheaper. Spending $100 to make my OS start up a little quicker isn't justifiable to me.

14. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    It is not that few quicker load times that makes SSD a nice upgrade. Mostly the IO performance of the HDD is what hogs modern pc´s. SSD´s have a much higher IO performance than any HDD could ever have because of the spinning platters.

For example my old Hitachi RAID0 HDD´s had an average IO per second of about 750 and they where among the best drives around in 2006 when i bought them.

Modern SSD´s could do thousands to tens of thousands of IO per second. That means there is really no loss in the data stream because of the high transfer rates and no waiting time in the CPU-to-SSD communication.

And if you compare the underlying storage technique then you will clearly see why. SSD NAND chips have reaction times specified in microseconds where as HDD has reaction times specified in milliseconds. That is a performance increase factor of nearly 1000.

15. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Faster os boot time is not the reason I got one, sure its a bonus but not the main reason, I did state some reasons why I love them but another one is I use ableton live a lot, projects and samples can get stupidly big and loading times when editing can become rather annoying and slow down work flow.

with a ssd I can open edit close save ect without waiting, and im sure this is the same for other programs, photo and picture editing is much nicer too :3

anyways they are not for everyone, sure but they are the future of HD's and with people in this forum with 3*580gtx's and other ludicrous set ups I wouldn't of thought a few 100 squid for a huge performance boost would be "a waste of money"

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    look like peoples tend to forget their HDD is in usage all the time, ofc it will not increase your 3Dbench scores or fps in games.. no you will not become a real killer in BC2 cause of this and your aim will not be better. let's framerate in games to gpu and cpu and aim in BC2 to your eyes/hand or mouse.

So ofc if you have a choice to make between a better CPU, or GPU and SSD´s .. the choice is easy !!!! go buy a better CPU or/and a better GPU.

Now, SSD will not only bring faster your windows Bootup. ofc it's a easy to see addition. But well actually the better part tend more in the general use you made with your PC: It's not allways Breathtaking, but.. whatever you do, you will feel Windows react a lot faster. Open a software, copy, move a files, open your internet browser, etc. well all you do with Windows will look to appears executed faster. At the moment a data will be involved, it will goes faster. I was not think my PC was slow, or windows react badly before and this was not the case afterall; but i need say it will be hard for me to go back on standard HDD, Raptors or whatever. It's just too bad the price is so high.

It's not the number 1 things you should change for upgrade your PC; but if you have a good CPU, good gpu, good monitors etc etc ... it could be a good thing then to look to an SSD. the effect is less radical of going from a 7800 to a GTX580.. but it's a nice addition if you can.

A last things, XP + SSD = no good.. so don't buy an SSD if you are still using this good old winXP. the best use of it will come from using 7 ( or vista, but 7 have been specifically designed with SSD in mind )

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  17. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well yeah thats what I was talking about. People who can get it go ahead and get it. But for the average joe it doesn't make any sense to get one.

In your case it makes sense to invest in one because of the type of stuff you do.

18. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well its just like saying whenever we buy super fast video cards and play games that don't even need it. For me SSD is a quick way and also a more noticeable upgrade, its like the first time you went from 2GB to 4GB of ram. Now if you need storage then sure SSD would be worthless with the price/storage ratio thats why its good to have one as an OS or APP/Games drive and have an external or 1-2tb drive as you dump drive.

Also you're look more for the max IOP or mostly the 4k read in drives which makes regular programs more snappier and quicker to boot. If you're not having any slowdowns whatsoever then thats fine but I think I'm in the "once you go SSD you never go back" world. I've had HDD for how many years now? and just 3 days ago installed an SSD and I've been loving it. Sure you can invest in something else and thats usually everyones preference but for me if I want to use the computer I want it to boot up right then and there when I need to.

One thing is also you gotta experience it first hand. My bro had 1 c300 OS and 2x raid vertex 2 for games and nothing slowed it down everything was instant and after I saw that I wanted to upgrade as well and didnt regret my purchase. Of course if nothing has phased or if you dont think your current rig is slow then you can wait till they get cheaper (which they will).

19. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Everything just feels snappier and more responsive with an SSD, they're great. And I don't think £120 for an 80GB SSD is bad at all, I paid way more for mine when they were fairly new.

20. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    SSD's pwn HDD's nuff said