SSD Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Moganza, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I want to buy a new SSD but im on a budget of £80 or so. Because i can't afford one with big memory i was thinking of buying a 40gb one just to cover the essentials

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Solid+State+Drives/Mushkin+Callisto+deluxe+40GB+2.5%22+SATA-II+Solid+State+Hard+Drive+?productId=41779

It seems very good.

My main question is to those of you who have an ssd or have experience with the matter. Because of the size im limited to what is best to install on this ssd.

I have a 1TB HDD to cover the rest of my files

2. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Hi again. I own a 64GB OCZ Vertex II and have Win 7 64bit, Office 2003, some benchmark programs and only Fallout New Vegas installed on it. I have about 25GB free space after that. I also use 2 1TB drives for data.

The SSD you want uses the exact same controller as mine and is incredibly fast. So I would recommend it as an essential upgrade with the rest of the upgrades you've planned.

3. S3rgin

S3rgin Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX2080Ti FE
    Try to get one with at least 64GB to start with.

Install the essentials (windows, apps, etc..) and get yourself another HD for data.

I've done it myself and can tell you that the difference is like night and day.

4. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb

5. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    That guide has some good points, but you won't gain enough space on an already small SSD. As for performance regression on current sandforce SSD's that guide is not needed at all. Just keep in mind that 10 ~ 20 benchmarks that write data to the ssd is just too much. Hell, I even have all Windows 7 prefetchers enabled and there isn't any sign (benchmarkable by the way) my ssd's performance went down.

6. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Thanks for the guide but i really cant be bothered with all the tweaking anymore it just gets tiresome.

I didnt understand what u said lol.

I'm gonna go with 40gb anyway i think. All i really want on it is windows and office, maybe stuff like vlc player but thats about it.

Thanks for all the comments guys

Actually quick question slightly out of context but what are the requirements for a 32-bit and 64-bit version of windows. And whats the differences?

7. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Just move your pagefile and hibernation files to HDD and you will be more than fine with 40GB SSD.

As for 32bit vs 64bit - for your config 32bit. You only have 2GB of RAM, so you won't have any advantages when installing 64bit. Actually, 64bit system will consume little more memory. 64bit is a way to go if you plan future upgrades and having 4GB+ RAM. That way you will be able to use it. 32bit is limited to 4GB, and because of design of 32bit PCs, you will have 3.25-3.5GB available to use when equipped with 4GB of physical RAM.

8. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't benchmark the ssd all day long. Especially benchmarks that also write data to an ssd make drive performance drop down very fast. That's what I meant to say.

9. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Ok what i gathered from that is that 32bit doesnt use all the memory in the ram or its otherwise wasted.

Lol i think i'll just avoid benchmarking all together on the ssd

10. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    32bit can use up to 4GB of memory, but some of it will be reserved by BIOS for device address space. That's why when you put 4GB into PC, you will get 3.25-3.5GB usable memory. With 64bit system 4GB limit disappears. But 64bit OS and programs use a bit more memory to run, so this is disadvantage but not that much if you already have 4GB or more installed.

To be more future proof I would get 64bit OS, because RAM prices this days are so low that 4GB is pretty much standard.

Just get SSD that support TRIM function or have some sort of garbage collection system - then you can use it all you want, it will "clean" itself when your computer will be in idle mode.

Just remember to optimize system for SSD use, so it won't wear so quickly.

11. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Ok thanks that helps clear up a lot.

Next year i'm buying a sandy bridge motherboard and processor and was just wondering what kind of ram should i look at. Will there be ddr4 any time soon?

I was going to buy some Mushkin 8gb DDR3 1600mhz ram.

My main use for my pc is gaming although i do use some adobe applications. Thanks

Also i'm not really sure what the difference between 1333,1600 and 2000mhz are. I mean does it play a big role
    Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    ^ On an i7, the main difference between 1333, 1600 and 2000 MHz RAM would be its price. On Sandy Bridge there will be much more benefit I presume, because according to what I've read the memory controller will no longer be integrated inside the CPU itself and as a direct result from that it will again be possible to overvolt the RAM if I understand things correctly.

13. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Basically you can OC your CPU without worrying that you will hit RAM speed limit before you hit CPU limit. Mushkin 1600MHz DDR3 will be very good choice. And don't worry - DDR3 will still main RAM when Sandy Bridge hits the market, so you won't have to buy new RAM.

14. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Ok thanks guys. One more thing. Would i benefit from buying triple channel ram

15. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Triple channel for Core i7 that supports it. You will benefit if you use apps that exchange high volumes of data. Game wise, not so much. But if you are going for i7 then go for triple channel as well. Why not use something if you can :)

16. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Ok so considering i do mostly gaming should i go 6gb or 8gb ddr3 1600mhz triple channel

17. pooley

pooley Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx r9 fury
    Seeing as you are going sandy bridge next year and as far as I'm aware it will only be able to run ram in dual channel you would be better buying a 4GB or 8GB kit.

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    Triple channel won't be supported by the first release of Sandy Bridge. There will be two versions, the first to be released one (scheduled to be released next month) will be limited to dual channel like pooley stated.

19. Moganza

Moganza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    The thing is i need a new cpu and especially a new motherboard asap. Is triple channel worth waiting?

20. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Dual channel is more than fast enough for gaming purposes. From what I've read the main idea with triple channel was for servers and when the xeons performed so well they decided to make desktops chips on the same socket. My opinion is go with the dual channel sandy bridge when it is released.