SSD or Hybrid HDD?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by jeffmorris, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    My new computer has Western Digital 160GB HDD. I don't want to steal a SSD from my other computer and put it in my new computer. Any suggestions for SSD or Hybrid HDD for my new computer? My new computer has Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC motherboard, Intel i5-4670 CPU (not 4670K), 16 GB of system memory, GeForce GTX 480 card, and Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit. Reviews of SSDs on web sites are confusing.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Intel or Samsung are good.
    Intel are quite expensive though but do come with 5yr warranty, Samsung is well priced.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Corsair's Neutron series is also very good. Intel seems to have slipped on quality a bit this generation though, a lot of people on the "egg" seem to be complaining about unfixed firmware issues.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What model? I didn't see many bad reviews - do you have a link?

The 520 is very reliable, new revisions might be buggy.

160GB? That drive must be ancient. Is your rig prebuilt?

SSD's and Hybrids are both expensive so may as well go SSD.

I bought a new 2TB Seagate tonight, seems Seagate has extended their warranty to 2yrs now instead of 1yr.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    The 160GB HDD was spare drive. The new computer also have Western Digital 1TB HDD that I use for data files, downloaded files, etc. I have to wait until next month to buy a SSD as I spent over $1,000.00 on computer parts last Saturday. I found out that there is new Samsung 840 EVO SDD.

6. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Check out Kingston SSD's ... not a fan or anything but I've had the King 3K [cheaper 1] in for over a year and not 1 single prob. Guess depends what you want, just thought I'd give ya another choice to look at. Peace

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I heard Crucials are decent as well, so just got myself one of theirs.

8. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Anything by samsung, I've had a bunch from all their past series and they all still work at full speed. Plan on getting a 512 evo at some point.

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    OP, what size of a drive are looking for and what's the make\model in your other rig?

Normally I'd recommend the Samsung 840 Pro but really many other drives are just as good and if they are on special you could save a bit.

May be a good idea to link where you're buying from so recommendations can be based on specific drives that are available to you.

10. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    My other computer has OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SATA II 3.5" SSD. The first one went bad after a few months and the second one is still working fine. I'm looking for 256GB SATA III SSD for my new computer.

11. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Have to agree with both Intel 520 series and Samsung Pro as the top two recommendations, excellent performance, reliability and five year warranties... but they may cost a small bit more.

I’ve also had no issues with Crucial M4 and Corsair GT drives... still going strong.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Intel have just released the 530, Hilbert is going to review it in the next few days.

13. OstinPr

OstinPr Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTS250
    I tend to join. I've also not faced with problems concerned with devices of this brand.

14. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    I've got both, Windows on SSD and most intensive read games. Non-intensive read games, movies etc on SSHD. Everything loads very fast, I've got PrimoCache on too. I'd recommend both for speed and storage.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'd go for an SSD combind with a bigger HDD for storage. Currently got programs,
    games and OS stored on the SSD. Used mklink to store my games on a seperate
    games partition on the SSD: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194.aspx

Mklink comes in handy for steam and similar clients. That way you won't have to
    redownload and reinstall several GB's of games on the SSD after a format.

After 5 months of usage with a few tricks like that mklink, my Total Bytes
    Written are still at 0.43 TB (including an OS install and every single
    program/game).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

16. Violentum

Violentum Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Late but here is my advice: I actually own an SSHD and can tell you from actual use SSHD's are really good! Way better then a traditional hard drive...

17. Violentum

Violentum Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    "SSD's and Hybrids are both expensive so may as well go SSD."

Pill, what have you been smoking? Hybrids are a fraction of the cost for the size?

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah true, but they're also double that of a reg HDD. Why buy 1TB Hybrid for $140 when a 2TB HDD cost $130.

I don't think Hybrid's performance justifies their retail price, 10sec faster boot times are not really a dealbreaker imo......that's just my view of course, not a fact......;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  19. Violentum

Violentum Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Because a 1TB hybrid is $100 not $140...and trust me it is not just faster at boot times fyi....

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe on whatever planet you live on they're $100. But not where I am. Hell you can't even buy a decent HDD for $100 here.

How would you know what my local prices are anyway- you don't know where I live.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013