SSD Not functioning properly

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DubiZubi, Sep 9, 2010.

1. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    Hey fellas,

So, situation goes as follows, I bought Corsair Force 60GB SSD.
    Installed it, made a clean install of windows 7 ultimate on it.

The problem? it's not as fast as it supposed to be.
    Should be 285 MBs Reading speed, and 275 MBs writing speed (Seq).

Both in AS SSD Benchmark and CrystalDiskMark, I get 200 MBs Reading speed, and 65~ MBs writing speed.

Why is it not living up to the specs? What did I do wrong?

Some information you might find useful:
    In the BIOS, the SATAs are on AHCI mode as it suppose to be.
    It's connected in the MB to one of the red SATAs (Which means, the bootable ones).
    I have 4 HDDs in my computer, I dont know if that matters though...
    Specs are on the left.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    How does the drive "feel" to you? With my spec'd hardware, I boot to usable desktop in around 23 seconds from bios "beep". When you installed Win7, it detected the boot drive and utilized it's functionality. Can the benchmark software be somehow the culprit as it is not configured properly? Just askin' is all.

Also, what version of the OS did you install (32/64 bit)?

3. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Did you delete and create a new partition on the SSD when installing Windows? What is ASSSD saying for Offset? Its on the left, above the capacity, should be something like "1024 K - OK". Do you have the Intel AHCI chipset drivers installed? Checked TRIM is enabled? (CMD: fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify) 0 means TRIM is enabled. Do your HDDs perform as they should?

4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    TRIM should be automatically enabled if the drive is capable of it in Win 7 if I am to understand correctly of Win7 and it's built-in SSD functionality.

5. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    Yes, I created a new partition.
    AS SSD Benchmark offset says: "103424 K - OK".
    I already enabled \ checked TRIM, it's activated.
    Yes, the other HDDs perform normally.

Windows 7 Ultimated 64bit.
    I boot around 25-27 secs.
    It feels sometimes fast, sometimes like a normal HDD.

I don't want yet to install the ASUS chipset drivers because when I actually got the SSD, I formated, and the settings in the BIOS were on IDE on the drives. So when I realized I needed to have it on AHCI, I searched the web for an answer what to do (Except formatting again), and I found a microsoft answer how to do it after OS install (Very simple registry edit). and also I installed the update from ASUS. Now, I don't know what actually caused it, but twice after a couple of hours, my computer would restart itself, and on DOS appears a "plug in a boot device" message. Unplug the computer, replug and it's working again, but that's weird. //End of the longest story ever.

So I decided to format again this time with AHCI enabled from the first place.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You need AHCI enabled as well as the drivers for your motherboard.

The Intel Matrix Storage drivers and things.

7. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    Done, still the SSD shows the same results.
    Anyone else encounters a similar problem?

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    If you go into the Matrix Storage Manager, you can right click your SSD and turn on Write Back Cache.

That will give you a massive gain, but some people recommend not doing it because of Power loss I think. Though I've never had a problem with it.

9. Lubna

Lubna Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI
    I sugest You that erase disk with HDDERASE.EXE. Put in bios IDE mode and Run it.
    http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml
    Preparation:
    a. A bootable USB pendrive.
    b. HDDerase
    c. Backup data on your SSD and delete all partiton on it.

Procedure:

1. Copy HDDerase.exe to root of your bootable USB pendrive.
    2. Set SATA as lagacy IDE mode and USB pendrive as first boot device.
    it could set in BIOS like this:
    set IDE

My best regards

10. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    I actually installed the matrix Storage Manager, then I found out about the Rapid Storage Manager, which I believe to be a newer version of it, and I can't find that option there.

Edit:
    They claim to have an option:

"Enabling the volume write-back cache
    1. Under 'Status' or 'Manage', in the storage system view, click the volume for which you want to enable the write-back cache. The volume properties are now displayed on the left.
    2. In the Advanced section, click 'Enable', and then click 'Yes' to confirm.
    3. The page refreshes and the write-back cache is now enabled."

although there's no such option in my manager.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

11. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Next thing i would do is getting one of these Ultimate Boot CDs and check the performance there. If its still not performing well outside Windows it seems to be hardware related. You should test a different cable and connector and run the SSD alone for testing. Check for a BIOS update for your Board, maybe a Firmware update for the SSD. If nothing works contact RAMGuy from corsair and initiate a RMA.

12. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    Alright guys, situation goes as follows:

I did some diggin', and Corsair claims to use ATTO as the benchmark for their SSDs, and in ATTO, I get proper results!
    I don't really know what that means...

but I faced another problem.
    My computer, usually when it's idle for more than a several hours (and not when I'm on it).
    is restarting, and tell me a message that "insert a proper boot device", so when I ctrl+alt+del and go in the BIOS, he doesnt recognize my SSD, so I need to unplug it from the power source and replug it and everything works again.

WHAT THE HELL?
    Is there some windows function that is doing when the computer is idle that may cause this problem?

13. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Sounds like an AHCI problem. Have you flashed to the latest bios version?

14. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    Yes I have, a long time ago (I checked there is no newer version).

15. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Did you check the Windows Events? There must be something logged. Do you have SMART function disable in BIOS for the SSD. The values usually do not match with those of HDDs and may produce false alarm.

16. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    I might have traced the problem, but I'm not positive, in the event viewer, I found those references just before the shutdown (Lower is earlier):

The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the stopped state.
    The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the stopped state.
    The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the running state.
    The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.

these are the last operations the system have done before shutting down.
    anyone know what's their meaning?

17. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Do you have any Backups scheduled? Can it be the SSD dies when the PC goes into power saving or hibernate or something or is it totally randomly when idle?

18. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    I surely havent scheduled any backup. That's my theory, that when it's idle, some system tool is going active to defrag \ backup what so ever.

19. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Is your SSD booting when you detach your HDD ? Make sure the SSD is really the first device on the SATA bus or Windows may stick the bootloader on the HDD. Remove all drives but the SSD and boot from Win7 DVD and run Recovery.

20. DubiZubi

DubiZubi Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950
    Well guys, I still couldn't figure out why is my computer shutting down when it's idle for a long time (Nights).
    today it happened according to the Event viewer at 05:59:00 AM (yesterday at a different, "unsuspicious" time, like 8:37 AM).
    I was a little suspicious, cause it sounds like a time something will activated itself, like backup or anything, but I disabled those so I have no idea.

I also disabled the auto restart on BSOD, so tomorrow I'll might have some more information.

I'll appreciate any help from you guys in the meantime.