SSD dead? part 2

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by darrenj, Jan 22, 2012.

1. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Hi
    I recently installed a Vertex plus 120GB SATAII drive in my fairly modern system.
    Freshly installed Win 7 64 ultimate.
    After a month and half of great usage mainly gaming, I turned off my system Thursday night, no problems, put it back on on Friday and realized that an older version of windows was running from my back up hard drive. Very weird indeed.

Looked into My Computer and no sign of SSD drive.
    Restarted into bios and the SSD did not appear !!!
    Change SATA modes from AHCI to IDE and vice versa, no help
    Removed the other drives, hard drive and DVD burner and ran the SSD by itself, no help.

Tried the Marvel SATA connection, no help
    updated the mobo to the latest driver no help.
    used different power connections and different SATA ports. The SSD was always connected to the SATA III ports with out a problem
    So I tried the normal blue SATAII ports, still no help
    I have not updated the firmware of the SSD, just ran it as is from the box.

HELPPP what do I do, is it bricked? Is there any way to get recover some data? Mainly, and absurdly, my save games. Games that I have been playing for weeks and have come very long. Like Assassin's Creed Revelations

SYSTEM

Motherboard ASUS P8P67-M PRO running bios 10.04
    Intel i 2500K
    The SSD -OCZSSD2-1VTXPL120G
    serial number SN 027571110000961

an older Western Digital WD10EADS hard dive for back up purposes (with on older version of Win7 on it)
    AMD HD 6950 graphic card
    8 gigs of Corsair vengance ram
    Chieftec 750W turbo series PSU
    Antec 620 Kühler CPU cooler

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Not the same as you, but sometimes my PC will boot from my backup HDD instead of my SSD. Weird, I just have to go back into the bios and reslect it though.

Have you tried it on another PC?

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i had a lot of OCZ ssds that acted the way you described,our store started not to like OCZ ssds
    after flasing to the latest firmware,they started to function again.
    weird.
    but some i had to RMA

4. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I guess Im lucky my Vertex Plus is still working. Had one little mishap with it where I had to re-install windows in its first week, but since then its been fine.

5. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Not encouraging
    SOOO much time spent on Assassin's Creed Revelations and F1 2011, I am crying dudes!!

6. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    OCZ drives had a reputation of not liking Intel chipsets, especially SandForce 2xxx based. Many of them died (froze) when using different types of hibernation or suspend.

Latest firmware updates have fixed those issues.

Only thing that I can advise is to try to upload new firmware to the drive. Download toolbox from OCZ:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_Plus/

Run it and see if your drive is recognized. If so, then update your firmware and see, if the drive unlocks. If not, you can always check OCZ forums for suggestions, but I think you will have to RMA the drive.

7. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    downloaded the file. How do I run it?

8. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    despite all the hoo haa about the SSD my literally FAST lived experience with it has ended.
    Really fast and exciting but dead...
    I don't think the price to technology ratio is justifiable with the overall failure rate
    Will buy a SATAIII hardrive and be happy till the SSD technology has reached another generation...

9. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
  10. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Naahh my local shop will just give me my money back
    Was looking at the Corsair Force 3 but the reviews there are mixed. It's month end and I am getting the cash. Its a toss up between Sata3 SSD and SATA3 HDD.
    I guess I'äm jus ranting after loosing all my save games for my F1 2011 campaign REALLY annoying since I have never managed to finish a full season due to all types of crashes.
    I was able to retrieve most of my save games from the Ubisoft cloud for Assassin's Creed Rev.
    I'm just displeased. Thanx for the advice, but don't mind me really.

11. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    I had a similar issue with my Kingston Hyper-X SSD, but after flashing to the latest firmware it is now working perfectly. I heard this issue effects almost all SSD's using sandforce

12. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    just booked a Corsair SSD Force series GT 120 for the money I SHOULD get back !!!?? sata3

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    My own experience with the Force GT 60gb has great the past five months, well enough that I purchased the Force 3 120gb for a games only drive. Sure, your FPS may not increase but the smoothness in some games has to felt to be believed; getting ready for Far Cry 3.

14. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I played assassin's cred revelations on both SSD (SataII) and a SATAIII Hard drive. The difference is palpable!