Srange, annoying, freezes in Dirt 2. Please help.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by tonvanrijn, Dec 25, 2010.

1. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Strange, annoying, freezes in Dirt 2. Please help.

A week ago I bought Dirt 2 and have been playing it for a week or so. I liked it so much that I even bought a new, DX11 supporting, videocard for it being the MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone OC 1024MB. I didn't overclock this further myself, so it is on default settings. I use Nvidia 260.99 drivers.
    Being at level 11 at the moment (although "Easy" setting for the time being), since yesterday I get very annoying freezes when loading a game in "Dirt Tour". When I have done one (or sometimes a few) races and want to start a new one in my RV in "Dirt Tour" and after selecting my car and choose "Race", the game freezes. I also see the (normally revolting) "loading" icon stop. In my headphones I hear a buzzing/rattling sound and I have to return to Windows via Task Manager and restart my pc to get rid of that sound.
    Having a rather good videocard now, I use the Ultra settings and with the included Benchmark I get around 50fps (average). For Sound I have set it to "Software", because I noticed that with Rapture I get a rather big impact on the average fps, being more than 10fps lower.
    What could be causing this ? Any help is appreciated, because this way it is not playable anymore. Strange thing is that it didn't happen before. As far as I can see it is not a "temp" problem, because when I quit the game (when I don't have freezing), the videocard is at 55-60*C.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Your CPU is holding you back.

The freezing issue may be something overheating.
    Monitor load temps of CPU and GPU.
    Make sure the motherboard chipset isnt getting too hot.

3. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    I haven't updated my data (did it now). My cpu is now an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600.
    What/how do I check for motherboard chipset temp ?
    I use Open Hardware Monitor and idle I see under Asus P5B
    Auxilary Min 42*C Max 124*C
    System Min 34*C Max 42*C
    Are these the values you mean and if so, are these ok ?
    Btw, I didn't have this problem earlier than yesterday, using the same system

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  4. MTey

MTey New Member

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce 7300GT
    Well, for finding out the temperature of your components try "Everest". It's a neat program that tells you a lot of stuff, like when the pc was last opened/reseted/shut down etc. It also has some benchmarkings.

I really don't know if it's a shareware or a freeware, mine came from the company which repaired my PC.

You can download from here: Click

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What speed is your Q6600 running at?

To check the chipset temp, I put my finger on the heatsink.
    If its anywhere near uncomfortable its running too hot and needs better cooling.
    I blow an 80mm fan at my motherboards heatsinks.

To monitor CPU temps download Prime95 and run it for 1/2hr, that will give you close to the hottest temp.
    Use Coretemp or Realtemp to monitor the temps.

Find max GPU temp with Furmark, leave it running for 1/2hr to get close to the max temp.
    To monitor GPU temps I use MSI Afterburner (enable the graphing tools, select what you want to measure).
    I'm not sure if it works on NVidia cards, I recall some NVidia users saying they used it, so it might.
    When I had an NVidia card I used Rivatuner, but this isnt as simple to operate.

This is not full stability testing, you need to do that for hours (as long as you game or use the CPU at high load) on the CPU without any errors.
    Running Furmark for a long time on the GPU isnt advised as it can cause overheating of the voltage regulator circuits, so run things like the Crysis benchmark on a loop.
    Remember to record the max temps on the stability tests or the temps at which a failure occured.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  7. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Thanks for all the replies.
    @Mufflore: it runs at 2,4Ghz. Not overclocked.
    @TheHunter: I don't use the rapture3d drivers. I noticed that when I use "Software", using the Xonar 1.3 driver, I get 10-15fps/average more.

Although I am not absolutely sure of course, I cannot imagine that it is temperature related. Tonight I had 2 freezes short after each other. Then I could play for more than 1 1/2 hour without a problem, doing a few multi- stage races amongst others (X-Games). In the game I don't see almost no hickups or stuttering. All goes very smoothly. Moreover I could play a week without problems with my "old" 9600GT card and 2 days with my new card.
    Btw, I also had a freeze when I wanted to quit the game. After clicking Quit, nothing happened and had to use Task Manager again to shut off.

8. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Reinstall the nVidia drivers (Use driversweeper to remove all traces of old ones)

Reinstall DirectX

Update Chipset drivers

9. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Detection, maybe a stupid question but how do I reinstall DirectX ?
    Should I use the latest DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer ? I ask because on the Microsoft site I see that this updates to 9.0 whereas I have DirectX 11.

10. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    Meanwhile I reinstalled the video drivers, reinstalled DirectX and updated the mobo drivers but that didn't help. Shortly after starting Dirt 2 I got a freeze again. After Ctrl+Alt+del and restarting my pc and Dirt 2 however I could play for an hour without a problem. Very strange imo.
    From a thread in the Dirt 2 forum (Codemasters) I understand that many have the same problem. Codemasters has not given a solution until now as far as I can see.

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    The answer is simple...the game needs a patch. I had the exact same error with my c2q...it would crash right when you select the car and also in between multi race events.

Now with my i7 it runs fine in races, but still crashes sometimes on shutdown.

The game is just a mess. You can't select over 8msaa in game or the picture stops responding. I had to set 32msaa in nvcp

12. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    I don't think that there will be any solution from Codemasters. Meanwhile I also sent an email to them and the only answer they could give was: "Try Safe mode". In other words, with my GTX460 I should play with the lowest graphic settings.

13. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    yeah im having the same problem right now, the game runs fine but after a race or sometimes when loading a race the game just freezes and stops responding.

14. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    As I wrote in my op, I had set sound to Software because with Rapture3D I had a significant drop in fps. Now I have set it to Rapture3D again and since doing that I hardly have a freeze anymore.
    Strange thing btw is that when doing the build-in Benchmark I get various results. One time it is around 42 or 43 fps average, another time it is around 50fps average.
    But the freezing is very rarely now.