Spyware on this website?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Big-Delicious, Jan 30, 2004.

1. When loading up the 3d-guru forum page on Mozilla it came up with

"Transferring data from red.as-us.falkag.net..."

I ran ad-aware and i find that "as-us" spyware was found. I get it all the time its one of those spyware that wont go away - I wish i had ad-aware plus or pro - it automaticaly blocks spyware unlike the freeware version. I guess you guru guys have to make money somehow, right ;)?

Big-D

(yeah, i hate my name but i accedantaly registered my usual name "Sink" with a wrong email address since it wouldnt take my hotmail address's and i had to make a yahoo account, and i typed in the wrong one by accident. You cant change it, right?)

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    What you see being blocked is an advertising cookie, that's basically all there is to it. We don't do spyware related stuff bro.

3. :rolleyes: right. I dont get your answer. Nothing is blocked, both mozilla and internet explorer let as-us falkag in. Your saying that it is to do with advertising? Then you come Ad-Aware puts it down as spyware?

Ive just run ad-aware again and found 3 new objects -

Ad-aware 6 Scanning Result, 30-01-2004 18:57:09
    Created with Ad-aware Personal, free for private use.

Vendor - Type - Category - Object

Tracking Cookie - File - Data Miner - c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@a.as-us.falkag[1].txt

Tracking Cookie - File - Data Miner - c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@as-us.falkag[1].txt

Tracking Cookie - File - Data Miner - c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@netshelter.adtrix[1].txt

im not saying these are down to you, but its a remarkable coincidence if you connect to as-us.falkag.net, and two have "a.as-us.falkag" on them...

Big-D

4. dfwny

dfwny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SSC Ed. 1GB
    Spybot Search and Destroy does not identify those cookies as being spyware related, it doesn't even flag them at all.

If you can't trust the Owner of the website (Hilbert) to give you an honest answer, who are you going to trust?

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Again, what you are seeing are advertising cookies. Well, if you have any other questions go bother the ad-agency:

http://www.falkag.com/

6. I will - and im sure that they're gonna give me an honest answer ;) . It is possible it isnt you, since i did also go on futuremark.com, and the spyware always comes back. But it is a bit of a coincidence...

All i can say is that spyware is a pain in the ass, but i dont blame it if you are trying to support and make money out of a website.

Big-D

7. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    What an ass.

8. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    not everything ad-Aware finds is spyware. its not a bug in Ad-aware, its that it searches for items that perform spyware-like actions. those files you found are harmless to you or your machine. don't be so paranoid.

and learn to read the info to see exactly what the cookie is.

taken from Ad-Aware
    "Vendor:Tracking Cookie
    Category: Data Miner
    Object Type: File
    Size: 378 Bytes
    Last Activity: 2-1-2004 1:55:28 AM
    Risk LevelLow
    Comment:
    Description:This cookie is known to collect information used either for targeted advertising, or tracking users across a particular website, such as page views or ad click-thrus. "

non of these actions denote what true spyware does. it collects no personall info from your system, instead it is just telling the servers what ads you clicked. probably to see what ads are most popular and such. (did i get that about right Hilbert?)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  9. :gape: oopsie. I automatically thought that everything that ad-aware picked up was spyware - i did not think to check the info. I guess i was wrong - sorry

Big-D

10. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    I'm sure Guru doesn't do spyware, there's too many ppl that are regulars here that would be pissed...including most of the moderators... no one likes spyware, especially ppl into computers, like us :D

11. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Big-D:
    Cookies proliferate on the web. I run AdAware after every session. It will on occasion pick up a legitimate file or program, as it has with my friend.
    ...no offense if I correct your spelling; "Tongue".:)