Spotted: Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX Processor with 8-channel DDR4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    itpro likes this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
  3. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    missed oportunity to call it 3999WX

4. Avalanche

Avalanche Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1080
    I wonder what Anand will have to say about his article in January about WRX80 and TRX80 being "made up chipsets". Looks like his sources aren't as credible as he thought them to be.

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    "Anand" will have nothing to say, most likely, as Anand sold Anandtech years ago to its present owners...;) You probably already knew that--just checking.

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I hope this solves the issue of 64 cores/128 threads and 512 GB memory. That was a very strange combination and one area where Intel really kicked AMD's ass. 2TB makes WAY more sense when you have that many threads.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    How did Intel kick AMD's ass when they don't have a product that comes anywhere close to competing? Although the 256GB limit is a bit anemic, if you need more memory, that's what Epyc is for. The 7702P is about $600 more expensive but you get double the memory bandwidth, double the usable PCIe lanes, and 2TB of RAM. If you really need that full capacity, that's going to cost you roughly $2500 of just RAM. Pinching pennies when we're talking 128 threads is a bit weird.

The 3990X is more of a "because we can" CPU to kick dirt in Intel's face, because most sensible people would never seriously consider getting it unless they really had no use for more RAM. The price and limited memory capacity make it incredibly niche.

All that being said, I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose of the 3995WX. It has to be at least a couple hundred dollars more expensive than the 3990X, so, why not just go for Epyc at that point?

8. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Beastly cpu , would be fun to play with this bad boy .

DeskStar likes this.
  9. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Maximum supported RAM on a HEDT platform. Clearly Intel does no compete in terms of price or threads.

That stupidly expensive Mac would be even less impressive if you could build a Threadripper workstation with 2TB of RAM.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It's winning in an irrelevant way. You don't need 2TB on an 18-core workstation CPU, and like I said before, if you need that much RAM on AMD, just go Epyc.

DeskStar likes this.

11. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    If the prices were comparable then you would have a point. Just the Epyc CPU and motherboard are more expensive than an entire threadripper build.

Even allowing 1TB on the 64 core threadripper would have made for one hell of a workstation.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    MAXIMUM CPU
    [​IMG]

sry... just couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Venix and DeskStar like this.
  13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So, is this the final salute of DD4 before DDR5 comes in to take the lead?

14. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    No, Zen3 is also DDR4, or, to be more precise, will be.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Grr.

Always the same, when it's time for me to upgrade, the new tech is always a year behind me and I end up getting something that, in (typically) 6 months I get top come to these forums and see everyone else jumping up and down about the new tech they got, showing benchmarks that put mine to shame - and then I see the prices of my stuff fall off a cliff.

I need a new rig, and I cannot buy one until:

DDR5
    GDDR6/7
    HDMI 2.1
    HDCP 2.3

Yet, here we are, another 12 months or so until this all gets resolved, possibly longer...

Venix likes this.

16. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    - DDR5 ... what does it matter ? Memory is not the main bottleneck of current CPUs, not to mention the fact that DDR4 has easily reached speeds of 4000+, which is around the predicted start speed for DDR5
    - HDMI 2.1 is 100% part of next gen Geforce/Radeon (launch this year)
    - GDDR6 is going to be on next gen Geforce/Radeon as well
    - HDCP ?? Who gives a crap.

You really have to wait just a few months until Leather Jacket or Broken Teeth launch their new products (September?)

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    HDMI 2.1 - well, this ties in with new televisions and new displays for higher bandwidth, ALLM, VRR
    GDDR6 - I agree, but not this year (in conjunction with everything else) plus, the numbers on these are off the chain.
    HDCP - these people care, and so do I, because I do not want content locked out, front to back.

Also, as part of a new rig, I need some hefty number crunching and multicore/multithread - my fellow gurus have given me some pointers on CPU AMD/AM4, for SOHO usage, but I typically upgrade every 5-7 years on PC...and it is that time again.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    How about read my full post before you start naysaying? The most comparable Epyc CPU I mentioned is less than 15% more expensive to the 3990X while offering some pretty significant upgrades.
    Not sure what you're going on about motherboards, because you can get single-socket Epyc motherboards (compatible with Rome) for under $500. STRX4 motherboards fall under the same price range.

Venix likes this.
  20. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I was comparing 64 core to 64 core since my point from the start was that 64 cores with a low maximum RAM cap was a bad combination.

I also said that I hope this new 64 core chip can handle 1TB or more of RAM because that would make for one hell of a HEDT solution.

Sorry this a hot topic for you, no idea why it is. I'm not exactly saying controversial things here.