Spotted: i3 dual-core for X299

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Wowzers, just when you think things could not be any different, they do. Over at Chinese Baidu  forum a prototype of a dual-core Intel i3-7360X appeared. So here you have the X299 motherboard at wha...

Spotted: i3 dual-core for X299

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    But why?, Who thought that was a good idea (even if it is only an internal pitch).

rl66 likes this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    imagine a celeron with full PCIe lane it would be a top pick for minner :) lol

more seriously, it's like the I7 4820k, not a big success for mainstream but top sale for small workstation that doesn't need Xeon but high end chipset (when we were needing at work to change our 4 system we had compared i5 in 1150, i7 4820k in 2011 and Xeon on both socket... the "small d**k" 's i7 won and with time it was a really good choise

Then maybe intel try to do the same... (but i doubd that they get the same success the platform is not what we can expect in 2017/2018)

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    See this makes more sense than the quad cores to me... it's the idea of a starting chip till you can get yourself a better one... the other quad cores cost way too much to be just throw away chips. so something like this makes a little bit more sense... it's still crazy and stupid with that in mind lol... but least makes more sense than the i5/i7 quad cores

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Go home Intel you're drunk.

schmidtbag, Koniakki and Silva like this.
  6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Maybe if Ryzen hadn't happened, we would have had this, and still been stuck with 4c/8t max on the consumer mobos.

Maybe their mantra is "What is the least amount of perfomance we can get away with?"

Aura89 likes this.
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Why the hell are they doing this?! It's madness! MADNESS I say!

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

Corporate Commander at it again.

Koniakki likes this.
  9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    lol

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    but .....but ......why???????!!!!

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This is akin to Porsche putting a 2 cylinder engine with a 100HP for a couple thousand off. Who the hell pays that x299 platform premium for that little of compute power. o_O

a) Intel is trolling us
    b) Intel is drunk/high
    c) Intel wants AMD to do well
    d) All of the above

Pictus and Loophole35 like this.
  12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Is a starting chip something similar to a starter motor used with an internal combustion engine? First you turn on the little starting chip, which in turn gets the 18-core monster running?

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    At first I'm like "is Intel just screwing with us?" but after a second thought, I think this might be the only product that isn't an i9 that is "worth getting" (but not really) for X299. Think of it like this:
    The only good reason to get X299 is because of i9. The i7s are decent, but a little too expensive for temporary use. They're relatively bad compared to the i9s, and you're missing out a lot on the chipset's true potential when buying one; you're better off going with Broadwell-E. In other words, the i7s are definitely a bad decision. The i5, to me, is the dumbest product for X299, because it's not useful long-term, it is even more crippled than the i7s, and it's way overpriced for a temporary placeholder.

Meanwhile, there's the i3: a product that is relatively cheap and "good enough" to get your PC set up and configured until the CPU you want is released. It is absolutely expected that this product is meant to be temporary. This, to me, should've been released before the other sub-i9 products. I think it's a little too late to have released it now.

Don't get me wrong - this is still a stupid product. But of all the "placeholders", this is probably the most logical one to get.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Oh man, AMD is falling way behind here. Come on Lisa Su, release that dual-core Threadripper already! :p

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I was going to blast Intel over this but then i read your post and everything makes sense and it´s perfectly logical! And now i can´t tear a new one on Intel and it´s all your fault schmidtabg! I hate you!...:D

Even worse this makes so much sense that it´s possible for Intel to make even more money like this, instead of selling just an I7/I9 they can sell first a shitty I3 and then the I7/I9... I really hate how much sense this stuff makes...

Okay, i feel better now...

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I hope they make one of those Pentium Anniversary CPUs again for x299. :rolleyes:

rl66 likes this.
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You would think and i3 on the x299 platform would be quad core or something!

Me thinks this is more for miners, low cost cpu on a platform with a good amount of PCIE lanes? Seems like the best deal for a miner.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    KLX only has 16 pci lanes.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh.

Then what's the point in this product?!!!!

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Intel wants to make sure they defeat AMD in every direction, whether its good, bad, or necessary. "Oh, you have the fastest CPU? Not anymore! <creates 7980XE>". "Oh, you're trying to make a product more low-end than us? We'll just have to see about that! <creates an i3 for X299>". Meanwhile if AMD sold those blank Threadrippers (that they gave to reviewers for display purposes), Intel would be like "Oh, so you're making a completely non-functional product? How about THIS!? <creates a defective CPU that shorts out the motherboard and causes permanent damage>".
    You're saying that as though you're joking, but at this rate I don't think you realize the probability of that actually happening.

A quad core i3 would've made the already stupid i5 a tougher sale.
    As Loophole35 said, mining couldn't be an option because there aren't enough PCIe lanes. I understand miners don't need much bandwidth, but I'm not sure if you can divide all of them among each slot. I could be wrong. Also, I think the X299 motherboards would be too expensive for miners.