Spotted: 24 cores and 32 threads, Intel plans Raptor Lake designs with more E-cores this time.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Maybe it's time to retire 7980xe x299 :)

tunejunky likes this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    FFS!

None of you know anything about this, but I am desperately trying to get a new rig to update my i3770k - I did have a 5950x for about a month before it broke, and I ordered a new 12900k...

This has been going on since August!

Can you please stop dropping new information about new and better CPU's please?

New 12900k cancelled - maybe after 2027 I will finally get a new rig to replace the one I've had since...2013?

Nightmare for sure, yet, because of global BS, I cannot even complain about it - but I can rant, but only if I apologise for ranting!!!!

/rant mode disengaged and apologies to all emotionally affected by my rant in these difficult times.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

tunejunky likes this.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well I think I know what I want for next Christmas.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    tunejunky and DanielRX like this.
  7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Eight performance and sixteen efficency cores soounds strange if you ask me. If you have so much going on that you need sixteen cores for it, does it have anything to do with energy saving anymore? I still find the P+E route kind of interesting, but I only see it as a way to have a limited number of efficiency cores to use when you aren't really doing anything much with the PC. So, when you are browsing the net, listening to music, watching videos. That sort of thing. When you are rendering animations (or something else burdening the PC 100%), why would you want to have a whole battalion of efficiency cores at your disposal, instead of more performance cores? You'd surely want to have the work finished as soon as possible, unless you are living in some off-grid cabin in the woods where every watt matters and you don't have a huge battery reserve.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    If u leave the horrible naming aside, I think this inverted configuration does actually make more sense.
    When doing some heavy multithread workload, max all-core speeds get a lot lower than single core boosts. Power and thermal limits kick in really fast too.
    So, instead of having a bunch of cores capable of 5Ghz but working at 4, u have a lot of cores "tuned" to work steadily and efficiently at 3/4Ghz for that multithread tasks and 8 cores that can reach 5Ghz when u run single or light multithread software such as games, etc.

Kaarme likes this.
  10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Anyone think it’s just a lazy way to reduce heat and power without bothering with new tech advancements tbh.

Dragam1337, Embra, Kaarme and 2 others like this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    mine's long been retired

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Already? Its still the highest core count intel core cpu you can get. ;)

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    perhaps
    but there's a larger real world market for lots of high performance cores in more different industries instead of the home user having 16 webpages open while they upload to tiktok or twitch.
    especially any work with massive data. those folks will continue to buy AMD but i'm open to the 2nd gen improvements in Meteor Lake simply because these are issues that Intel already knew about before the release of Raptor Lake.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    heh :cool:
    ditched it for TR

Undying likes this.
  15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    *28 core in single socket.... Not x299

Undying likes this.

16. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    What Threadripper? I'm still using my old 1950x threadripper. AMD fooled me, because x399 don't support TRX cpu's, and there is no 5 serie Threadripper yet?

tunejunky likes this.
  17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    3970x

nizzen likes this.
  18. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Buying anything right now sucks, I would set a goal and a budget and try to find a build that meets you needs. I always try for the biggest and best when I do a new build too but I think it's easy to lose sight of the seriously diminishing returns for your money over a 12700k, a 5900x or even an i5 or Ryzen 5/7.

If you're moving, or already moved, to Windows 11 then the 2950/2970/2990 would be a good X399 upgrade now. The Windows 11 scheduler fixed multicore slowdowns related to NUMA nodes - big boost on multicore for the 2990wx in particular.

tunejunky likes this.
  19. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I have a feeling this is going to be a 12900k with the same P cores +100Mhz and double up on the same E cores.
    Gaming performance will be +1% in CPU bound games.
    Productivity could be up to 3% if the load is able to handle E cores, instead of just getting confused like some programs do now.

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's a good theory, but at the moment, hard to test. With Alder Lake, the P cores get a lot more work done than the E cores, understandably. Unfortunately it's also impossible to test if 16 P cores got more work done than 8P+8E, considering the power and thermal limits, because no such CPU exists. Actually, I had been underestimating the E cores, before I now read more about it. They are apparently comparable to Skylake cores, so they are far from useless. I suppose the real question is indeed one that could only be "solved" mathematically, in theory: If all P cores downclocking to meet the power/thermal limits would still beat P+E. Intel would have various reasons for doing what it's doing, so it would be hasty to say that P+E must be the best because Intel chose that way.

tunejunky likes this.