Sporadic black screen after Windows boot.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TheDeeGee, Jun 4, 2023.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Ever since i upgraded from a 1070 to 4070 Ti (couple of months ago) i'm experiencing sporadic black screens after booting up the PC. I see the BIOS post followed by the spinning balls circle, and then it stays black. It looks like it booted fine, as there is nothing unusual reported in the Windows log files.

I have to shutdown by holding the power button for a couple of seconds and then it boots fine (usually).

Mind you, i did a clean install of Windows 2 days ago and it's still happening.

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    What Motherboard?

3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Did you Update bios and drivers?
    Snappy Driver Installer Origin, is a good program to check and update the newest drivers, system wide.

A crash like that can also be related to memory or CPU. Do you have any overclock?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Windows fast startup is Off or On?

[​IMG]

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Any codes on your mobo, I e had this previously and it was a ram setting issue. Hasn't happened since I last updated my bios.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Everything in that list is set to "Off".
    CPU: Intel Core i7-11700
    MOBO: ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
    GPU: PNY RTX 4070 Ti XLR8
    SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR
    NVME 1: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB
    NVME 2: Crucial P3 Plus 2TB
    NVME 3: Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
    PSU: Seasonic Fanless TX-700
    MONITOR: EIZO CX240
    I'm running the drivers available on the ASRock Z590 Steel Legend page, and i have the latest Nvidia Hotfix driver (536.09) installed.

No Overclock, and there is no crash. The OS boots, as i can tell the by the fans, they start spinning slower once Fan Control loads.
    Running the latest 2.10 version available from the ASRock Z590 Steel Legend BIOS page.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I don't know if your board has anything to do with Resizable Bar in the BIOS, but if it does maybe turn it off and see what comes of it.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sadly turning that off does nothing to fix it.

9. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    No VR.

And since this is a fresh Windows install from two days ago i doubt a registery clean is needed. Especially since the same happend on my older install.

11. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I wonder if its a GPU bios/firmware problem.
    Does your card support dual bios and if so have you tried the other setting. :)
    EDIT. So are you saying occasionally no display out?

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I wonder if CRU could be the cause.

I use that to delete 4096x2160 from my TV as that messes up DSR and possible windowed fullscreen game resolutions. That being said, the TV is off 99% of the time so it shouldn't interfere with the PC booting process.

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Only has one BIOS, and i checked with GPU-Z and it seems that's the latest one.

The card works perfectly fine otherwise, it's just sometimes during a boot or restart the screen stays black just before the login screen.

14. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    How old is the PSU and have you tried another. Is your PSU the correct PCI-e variant.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I only have one PSU, and it's a little over a year old.

And if you mean my PCI-E variant 12VHPWR then no, it doesn't have that. I still use the official Nvidia Adapter which in my case is 2x 8-Pin to 12VHPWR.

16. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    OK HDMI or Display port, which do you use. It could be one or both are timing out and not getting the signal through for the display on time.
    One thing you could do is next time it happens remove and reinsert connection cable and so if that gets you to screen.
    Running out of ideas now, so, I'm out. :)

17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Might be worth investigating

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The Eizo CX240 is connected via DisplayPort 1.4 cable (2 meters), and the TV with a Active Optical HDMI 2.0 cable (10 meters).

I'll try that next time though, if it blacks out, take out the DP and reinsert.

If that's the case, then it's VERY annoying actually.

Nvidia needs to fix it on their end then, and allow people to ignore certain resolutions.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The display doesn't actually seem to go out (standby mode), it's just like it displays a black image.

After the spinning loading circle (just before the logon screen) it briefly goes black, like for less than a second and then it shows the logon screen and moves into Windows. But when it bugs out it stays black just after that spinning loadign circle, but the display doesn't go standby mode. Because if it would go standby for me the LED shows orange, so it is recieving a signal.

20. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    It's a bug of some sort, always related to graphics, in fact I had changed monitor on PC at work and it started doing this. Happened to me with GPU change before as well. Could not fix it other than fresh install. But for you if it does the same thing after, the only issue would be current GPU drivers, do reinstall again (do not connect to internet so it won't auto update right away) and download some older driver version and try it that way. The black screen is giving video input to monitor, you can move a mouse and cursor will show up, it just won't load the GUI, only cursor.