Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - !!Performance!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Saeid, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Ok i just downloaded the 118mb single player demo of Pandora Tomorrow, and installed it on my system. And i have to say i wasnt happy with the performance, i tried running it on 800x600 with low quality, still got low frames per sec. I even tried 640x480, same thing. When i switch the thermal vision on, i see a boost in frames per second. Any idea's?
    The recommended says a 128mb Geforce FX! :S

2. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Saeid, your system is quite good enough, but i'm afraid that the only thing holding it back is ur FX 5200. I know how it feels when you have a good system and still games don't play the way they should.....Next time be extra careful when making purchases for your video card......As for me, 2 more weeks till my 9600Xt arrives.....:p

3. 0ldCrow

0ldCrow Master Guru

GPU:
    Check
    I had the 5200 too when the demo came out, it played the 1st level fine, until I got to the the 2nd level with all the foilage, at that point I thought "ok time for new card".

Couple of things you can try, might work, or at least make it playable, in the nvidia control panel, (if you already haven't done so) try setting the slider to "high performance" if its on "quality"and you might try turning off vertical sync too, maybe try a little oc'ing (be careful in that department if its just got a heatsink over the gpu).

I modified the crap out of my 5200 when the time came that I had no choice but to use it (looks nothing like the card that came out of the box) and it served me well. But with the latest apps and games, well, you can only do so much.

Your best bet is an upgrade, and with the next gen cards on the horizon, you can either pick one of those up or watch the current card prices drop and snag one of those.;)

4. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    I had to drop to 1024x768 (no AA, no AF, high quality, vsync) and I'm using a 9800 pro. I was getting some low FPS in the jungle scenes as well (at 1600x1200 it was horrible :D ). Too bad the game only lasted two days :( . It was fun, though.

5. ludde

ludde Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 9800pro 128MB 420/380
    you can relax though, that jungle level in the demo is the level with by far the lowest framerates through the whole game. i played through the whole game on 1024x768 and medium on my gf4 card except on that level which i had to play using 800x600 and low.

btw, what is the difference between low and high?
    i honestly dont see any change whatsoever :/ but the performance boost is HUGE.
    maybe shadows have smoother edges on high or something like that?
    textures are all the same, lightning too, so i dunno what it changes.

6. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    I run at High, 1280X1024, and it's as smooth as silk on the train, and only lags a bit during the beginning of the jungle where there is lots of grass. Mind you, the full game should be arriving at my house tomorrow, so I'll know more then. The weird thing is, the first splinter cell slowed down alot when I turned on night/thermal vision, but now PT speeds up alot when I turn them on. So whenever it starts lagging at 20fps, I turn on the nightvision, and it goes up to 40fps.

7. ludde

ludde Member Guru

GPU:
    get used to nightvision because you will use it most of the time :D

8. ludde

ludde Member Guru

GPU:
    the train level is the least demanding level through the whole game, so you will most likley have to put down the settings in the full game later unless you want framerates in the 20's ;)

9. PixelDude

PixelDude Pixelated Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT (Albatron) on a 19" 8ms LCD
    True that night vision is used alot - it would be good if it changed to and from night vision (or heat vision for that matter) instantly instead of taking a second.

10. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    When i made my system i simply ran out of money for a decent graphics card :D And the mid range was just too expensive... and as for upgrading at this moment i dont think its the best move. Especially with the new cards coming out by NVidia and ATI. When those come out the 9800XT and 5950U will drop in price, ALOT! ;)

And if it is true, that the Demo level gives low Frams rates, then i believe UbiSoft made the worst move ever. I mean they should have givin out a level that was not so demanding, that way they would make more sales!
    But then again it may be that they wanted to be honest! :S

11. Neville_kc

Neville_kc Guest

the difference between low and high is that in certain areas where there r two or more light sources there r more shadows rendered.

Take an example of a lamp on RIGHT TOP of SAM FISHER and I lamp on the LEFT BOTTOM of SAM FISHER -->In the Low or Medium Settings mode only u will only be one shadow,but if u r in the High Settings mode u will be able to see multiple shadows.

12. Dublo7

Dublo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512mb OC @ 700/1750/999
    Why cant I play pandora tomorrow ffs.

Getting really angry, It keeps minimizing when it starts up

EDIT- K got it working... somehow.

Damn this game is very nice. It runs very beautifully on my PC.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  13. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE

Thats caused by the refreshrate I had same thing in 1024x768 try a different reselution & the people having trouble with framerate you could try enabling the splinter cell profile in the forceware drivers btw it runs fine for me without the profile at 1600x1200x32 max ingame settings & 8xAF (AA is not supported) gives me a solid 72fps which is my monitors max at that rez :).

14. ludde

ludde Member Guru

GPU:
    i see thanks for clearing that up. no wonder i havent seen any difference then since i dont bother to look for such things :)