Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - Crash from RTSS

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by DaRkL3AD3R, Nov 25, 2018.

1. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    This is 100% reproducible for me. When I load the game, it hooks fine at the menu but when I try to change graphics settings or enter a level, the game has stopped working and this only happens when RTSS is running. Funny thing I get in-game with RTSS blocked, and unblock it and it hooks just fine. Only during the transition from menu to in-game that this crash occurs.

I have tried Stealth Mode, Custom D3D Support, various other options. Nothing helps. Only blocking RTSS before loading level and unblocking after. Can anyone else confirm this please?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    turn off full screen optimsiations, the same issue happens for USFIV.

on second reading, no thats not what happens with USFIV,

If this gives you a place to start unwinder, iirc this game starts with a d3d8 context and switches to d3d9 when missions start.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Chaos Theory is on sale now and it is pretty cheap, I'll purchase a copy and see if anything can be done with this engine.

4. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Just a heads up Astyanax, I am on Windows 10 1607 where I cannot configure fullscreen optimizations. All games default to proper exclusive fullscreen. It does appear that the game is making an API swap when either the graphics settings are applied in the main menu or a mission is loaded. And checking under the PC Gaming Wiki entry, it does indeed show both D3D8 and 9 so I think you're right about it switching and thus breaking on that switch.

5. Unwinder

Nope, it is using D3D9 renderer all the time, it is not the case.
    Just peeked inside the game, the root of crashes is strict D3D device reference counters control by engine on display mode switch. That's also the reason why Steam overlay is forcibly disabled for this game, the engine goes crazy if D3D reference counter get altered by anything invisible to the game (i.e. if some overlay is creating some D3D resources for its own needs).

@DaRkL3AD3R

Currently you may bypass the crash by configuring RTSS to render OSD without creating any D3D resources. To do so you'll need to switch OSD to Vector3D mode (so RTSS won't need to create a font texture resource) and set VB = 0 in [RendererDirect3D9] in global or application specific profile for splintercell3.exe (this will force RTSS to render OSD geometry from local user memory instead of GPU vertex buffer).
    Such issues were rather typical in some old games in Windows XP era (mostly because Micsrosoft demonstrated strict reference counter implementation in their DX8/DX9SDK samples :)) and RTSS had a profile compatibility switch for strictly controlling reference counter as well (HookDirect3D8Release, HookDirect3D8ReleaseVT, HookDirect3D9Release, HookDirect3D9ReleaseVT profile options served for that), however developers stopped used such pattern in modern engines so I've abandoned those compatibility switches and have not updated this mechanism for Win10 OS. I'll see if I can refresh it and use for this specific game.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ah, i see thanks for replying.

7. Unwinder

DaRkL3AD3R likes this.
  8. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    @Unwinder

Fantastic work :) Problem solved. Thanks so much for fixing that very old crash.

9. Unwinder

Excellent ;)