spend money on a rig, but what for???

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Li4m79, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    I have about 15 pc's in my basement along with drawers of sound cards and network cards and old video cards. I have 9 monitors ranging from 17" to 21" inch Trinitron Dell screens. I got mobo's on shelves with cpu and ram on them, lol. I could sell it all but I'd get peanuts for it. I tend to build systems and just give them to the needy however lately I haven't had much energy to do that either.

2. doug_ellison

doug_ellison New Member

GPU:
    It's like the evolution of video. We've gone from PAL/NTSC Standard Def, to a split evolution of Bluray HD, and lower than standard def streaming with things like Youtube.

3. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I'm kind of like you now, enough hardware for me it will never end i want software that i can enjoy or use the best of my hardware. I build a new PC so i can experience DX10 but so far the only game that really make use of DX10 is crysis. Than they talk about DX10.1 and now DX11:bang:

4. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    I upgrade when needed, just upgrade a bit at a time. Like last month I got myself a new soundcard and this month I am thinking of buying a new PSU + GPU so I can use the spare motherboard and processor to build my sister a new pc. She really wants to play GTA4 yet I have it on PC, but I dont trust her with my pride and joy and rather build a new rig so she can play it their. Plus her rig is an old Socket A beauty about 7 years old and still going lol but it is on its last legs.

Thats is the only reason I would upgrade otherwise, I would wait.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'd like to upgrade for fun but my budget won't allow me. I have enough cash to get a kickass pc if I upgrade but it's not a budget I can just throw around so I'll only upgrade a part/computer when it's necessary, aka I won't be able to run games in proper detail anymore.

Next upgrade on my list will probably be the GT300 from nvidia when they arrive since getting a I7 would be useless for gaming if you've already got a quadcore running at a stable overclock of 3.4Ghz :p .

Not that the I7 isn't better, but it's just not worth it atm for me.

6. Travkin

Travkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1080 Sli
    Only upgrade every 2 years or so, mostly only when i actually need it for something. Or when i can just resell the parts that are being used and then buy something better.

7. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Get some alder or swamp ash. mmhhhhmmmmm

I'm right along with the op though. I've got a decent computer too, and I'm pretty bored with all the "hottest" games. I'm either finally growing up (scary, I know) or games just suck these days. Probably a combination of both I guess.

Either way, this computer has lasted longer than I thought it would, and I don't see needing a newer one in the near future. That's pretty cool.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Ye, I usually get the money first but I always sell the old parts. The extra few €100 always come in handy. Once I get a job instead of being a student I'll probably buy a new computer every year.
    After 1 year u can still manage to get half of the price you payed for your own computer (or even more if u find a blatant retard to sell to xD), basically cutting the costs for your new computer in half.

9. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    For me I think I enjoy all the research most. Just recently built a whole system from scratch, and spent countless hours comparing different parts. Now I mostly play german boardgames and trackmania. Still pondering SLI though.

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Something like this?

[​IMG]

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Was talking about color of that Kawasaki...

And something like that :)

12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Hehe, np mate. ;)

I tend to break some hardware every now and then so that i have an excuse to upgrade something. Otherwise the wife says NO!! :)

[​IMG]

13. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Two words-graphics whore. I can't wait until the next-gen GPU's hit. Two of those babies in SLI or Crossfire should absolutely rock.

14. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I just like building the machines and the hardware realle, I dont even play that many games anymore.

15. _NeO_

_NeO_ Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4070 x3 OC
    Well i just sell it :D And believe me i sold many parts in last tree years. But still now i quite settled on upgrading. Just changed power supply
    because old one burned up and cpu because 5000+ was eating up my fps in games which i play :)

Same here. I love building machines. I helped to build many friends they're rigs :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Sell it, then turn around and buy newer better upgrades for my current rig, in fact I just sold and old motherboard and processor I had, turned around and used the cash to buy a new quad core processor for my system. My next upgrade I was planning was upgrading to SLI, as all I need is new PSU (current one doesn't have enough PCI-e connectors) and VGA for that.

17. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    you can get molex to Pci-e adapters

18. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Yeah that question always pops in my head. Recently I was about to buy a new camera lens, but I had just givin away my 22" LCD to my sister because I just built her a modern day desktop with some power. Instead of using that money for something I really wanted, I had to buy a new monitior and I kinda went all out on an LED one, when a normal LCD would have been acceptable. But hey Im happy with what i bought :D

I have been thinking of getting a 2nd ATI4850 because it would help performance alot, but I always want the newest series of video cards...