1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spend money on a rig, but what for???

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Li4m79, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ok, its a guilty pleasure/addiction

a lot of people here spend a fair bit of money on their rigs, although not the extreme top so have i over the past year or so.....

but now i find myself, although having the latest games i find myself spending more and more time playing games like bejeweled(esp on facebook) and other flash crappy(but good) games!!

anyone else have this??

when i say this, i mean, have the machine but regress to "lower level" things?

might just be me, but i do find it amusing, which makes me think that do people upgrade from addiction or do they do it for a reason?

thoughts..

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I just upgrade for fun not got much of a reason really lol

3. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    I dont need any of it my laptop plays all the games i need i really dont care if im playing an fps (multiplayer) on medium setting as long as i get good fps its more of a hobby

4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    You know, I cannot describe it either. My machine as listed is indeed pretty good. It's not the best, but for what it is, it's pretty danmed (sp) good. But, I've been getting the same "urge" it get it "just another step". Been looking at another card to go SLI. But what for? I do not know. I love the feeling of having a pretty breath heavy machine and to further add to it. I think it's the "feeling" of having all the parts act as one and the feeling of the system itself. It's difficult to describe really and that is the closest I can get to it. There isn't much I can do with it because it's pretty complete as is. But a good sound card and another GPU would be pretty killer. How else do other describe that "urge"?

5. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Well, if you play those kind of games, then you might aswell send your rig to me and I'll send you mine:p

Oh, of course I'll cover the shipping:D

Me, I really need am upgrade or a new rig, since I just can't play any newer games, it sucks. But right now, I'm actually looking toward building myself a new guitar and I'm looking for some ok guitar wood, to use for the body.

Maybe you should take a break from games and find something else to do, like me. Play some musical instrument, or something. That way you'll have diversity in your life and you won't be stuck on one thing...:infinity:

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 1500/1075
    i have an urge to upgrade like always only thing keeping me form doing it is... i dont have any goddamn money :O no real reason to just the thrill and see how everything works ;o

7. benne

benne Member

GPU:
    evga 275 sli
    At least you should be benchmarking 2d and 3d apps.Then you could upgrade for better scores.
    Just playing mafia or something on facebook is fun,without buying the junk they call todays games.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    As the manly manly men we are, we all have the urge to upgrade for no apparent reason.

In my case I foam at the mouth in rage if my rig fails to run anything flawlessly. Yesterday I almost had a heart attack from rage because my system stalled for a few seconds. :wanker: Too bad "student" isn't a well paying job!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i race with my ego..uber my pc, uber good i feel. my laptops must run games good..my other laptop must run good battery life... i must own the all consoles....i must upgrade to the latest..iam a nerd myself who addicted to do this...

10. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I am very lazy to upgrade my rig and i do it only when my pals have something better than me. Till today i have the best rig amongst my friends but i think i have to drain my pockets a little cos my friend is upgrading his 8800GT to 275GTX, so i suppose i will be buying a 285GTX sooner.

11. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    hmm, now that i think of it i dont play many games that require much power.

though it is fun to upgrade to be doing something.

and im sure anyone that likes first person shooters likes the ability to play any game they want to play on higher settings, even in multiplayer.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't know about you guys, but the main reason I can go long periods of time without upgrades (so long as the basics run without stalling) is because the games I want are rarely available for PC.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Damn, I want to prices on 285's to drop so I can go SLI...perhaps 3X SLI... *drools in anticipation*. LOL

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Funny my pc is way over powered to just play like COD4 lol

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I always have the urge to upgrade. It's like an addiction.

Fortunately though, I am totally skint and can hardly afford a pint, much less a SSD or the jump to i7/i5. Having said that though, I only upgrade when I see a need, and when the value is there. I don't mind paying a lot of money if I get a lot in return.

At the moment, it is looking like I will go for a SSD around Christmas time (assuming prices drop enough), as well as watercool the remaining MOSFETs and my NB/SB.

I do get a lot of use out of my rig in all fairness. I recently finished Warhead (great fun), play a lot of SupCom:FA with friends, and am looking forward to playing SC2 and Diablo3 when they come out. My rig is more than enough for those games (I should imagine), and I really can't wait for them. Them and Mass Effect 2 ofcourse. Drool. Oh, and Dragon Age. ****, looks like I will be spending a lot on games :/

Still, I only upgrade when it is needed or worth it. I refuse to spend silly amounts.

The best example is my CPU. I was going for the Q9450, since the price steadily went up along with clock speeds, and then jumped massively to the Q9550. The jump in cost becomes less than worth the price hike, so that was where I was going to stop. Then the Q9550 dropped to about £20 more than the Q9450, so it was more than worth it.

16. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    OK, jst PM me ur address and i`ll happily swap rigs.....

(t&c apply)

lol

17. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    the real reason I want an i7 rig, is so I can sit at my desk and drool on account of its awesomeness :D

18. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i think i`m like you!!

+1 to that....

but it is nice knowing shizzle is all in place!!

19. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Its an addiction. I just got aQ9550 when my E8400 was perfectly fine. I always say " no more upgrades for a while"...then I get a descent sum of money saved & the bug hits again, lol. Hell, my old AMD 4600x2 & sli 8800gt performed great, i just "wanted" a new rig.

20. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I like the 'thrill' of having a dogsh1t pc and still being able to play anything everyone else plays on their infinite dollar rigs, and I don't even bother :D I play old school CS and WoW and that's it... I have most the latest games but I can't stand single player games, and much less terrible multiplayer games that all the 13 year old school boys think are great, like COD :)

I always think woooow it'd be great to have a system like that... i7 etc, but then I think what real difference would I see in anything at all? I don't benchmark anything... I don't see any point in trying to get however many thousand 'points' in 3Dmark or whatever... Puts me to sleep.