speed limits

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by vestibule, Aug 1, 2022.

1. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    So, here in the UK speed limits are popping up everywhere for the new 20mph speed limit or 32KMH in built up areas and this is because if you have an accident with a pedestrian at 20 mph then the chance of a fatality is almost nil.
    So, if I was Linford Christie then I would be better off getting out of my car and running.
    I'm not sure this 20MPH thing follows.

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    In the meantime here kids and olders folks are silently speeding like mad on their unlocked (derestricted) electric e-scooters and e-bicycles, 40Km/h, 50Km/h... without helmets, on the roads, pedestrian trails... silent killers. Police can't touch them, still it's not regulated here by law, on the other hand wherever I drive with my motorcycle here they are to stop me and check if my papers/bike are OK :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    CalculuS, Solfaur and vestibule like this.
  3. Yeah UK with its narrow streets, bus lanes, bike lanes, speed cameras and extreme speed limits. IMHO one of the worst places in the world for car enthusiasts. I just hope this nonsense will not spread to the rest of Europe... and it was one of the reasons (albeit not the main one) why I left.

vestibule likes this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The UK is awash with narrow streets and pavement with parked cars and vans all over the place, but it also seems to have some of the worst speeding cretins to ever get behind a wheel, and i can guarrantee you on any 30 mph road anywhere in the UK you will have cretins pass you by with ease because driving standards on UK roads are abysmal, hell you will still see them on their phones or sitting around schools in lines of those jeep dropping their own kids off while making the same school road dangerous for kids on foot trying to get to school. ........so i guess something had to be done, whether it will work i don't know.

Solfaur and vestibule like this.

5. These "cretins" as you call them are pretty much everywhere. I've seen bad or reckless drivers in every country I've ever been to.

Solfaur, vestibule and sykozis like this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    20 means no more than 30, you see race track hot spots get hit with these.

vestibule likes this.
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well we can't deal with them everywhere, we can only deal with them here in the UK, everywhere else will have to come up with their own plan. ;)

vestibule likes this.
  8. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    We can get crazy back here in the woods too!

[​IMG]

Yee Haw!!!...:D

vestibule likes this.
  9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    We have 30km/h limits next to schools and in some neighborhoods. But that is fine. We do have from 10 to 120km/h zones depending on the traffic, pedestrian amount and so forth. We also have speedcams and bumps and all that but it never bothers me really.

vestibule likes this.
  10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    They don't have laws in England to keep people from frolicking in the street? That sounds like the easiest solution.

vestibule likes this.

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm fine with it, especially when going through an area with a lot of on-street parking or where busses frequently stop, you can't stop idiocy but you can at least protect and reduce any damage that results from it such as pedestrians running out from a hidden or obscured area - which this 20mph limit is all about.

Solfaur, XP-200 and vestibule like this.
  12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It doesn't what is worse is, and I am assuming this is the new idea by the Welsh to introduce a 20Mph limit over the more common 30Mph limit you're speaking about, every single piece of data that has and was collected showed that the rational for them doing this is utter fallacy.

The two key factors being that it will reduce injury if a collision occurs at 20 over 30Mph. Stats for 2019 (most recent I could find) showed that more people died as a result of lower than 30mph collisions than they did from higher speed 50 - 70mph collisions. Speed is looked upon in this country as the primary cause of all driving ills when the reality is it accounts for around 20% of incidents. The second reason being that it would reduce pollution, a fact that even their trials proved was incorrect as drivers ended up using a lower thus higher reving gear to deal with the lower speed limit. The biggest issue in this country is that they have just passed a series of new driving rules (laws) that shift the entire onus of blame on to the car driver. You're a pedestrian that wants to play in the street, walk out in front of a car without looking and you get hit guess what it's somehow the driver's fault now.

Such as the recent introduction of mandatory speed limiting technology in all new cars yet again under the guise that it will somehow stop all car related deaths. The leading cause of accidents is drivers paying lack of attention to what they are doing, you know how you disengage a driver from what is going on around them? You get the car to do all the basic driving stuff for them which then leaves the driver with the false sense that everything is under control and when it does go wrong the driver is too disengaged to regain control in a safe time frame. Want too see a great example of this, look out for foggy or raining conditions and note how many people don't use their lights. When you ask them why I bet the answer will be 'because the car turns them on for me'.

CalculuS, vestibule and Airbud like this.
  13. Also, I've seen cities removing their digital warning signs showing your actual speed and replacing them with hidden speed cams. This way they will not warn you and just send you a letter week later to cash in on you. Let's not kid ourselves, a lot of these rules are about money and personal agendas. The only way to prevent all accidents is to stay still and never move a muscle.

btw. I believe in drive assists those are fine, but I will never let an AI drive my car.

14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    For those arguing about speed not being so important between 30 and 20mph, there's still such a thing of stopping distances... a 20mph stopping distance is half that of a 30mph.

We're not going to stop drivers that want to speed, those drivers will continue to exist everywhere whom have no care for anyone other than themselves, this is all about protecting those that are vulnerable, stupid or not. A responsible driver will observe the speed limits and have the better attitude to being aware of the hazards around them and be able to take appropriate action.

Heck, even if the speed limit is 30mph, in a crowded street full of hazards, you wouldn't be driving that speed anyway, you'd be more cautious driving at safer more appropriate speeds.

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/stopping-distances

15. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    True, true, true.

Airbud and Brasky like this.

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Their may be a different reason for this, it seems that the boy racers in certain areas use these indicated speed signs as a badge of honour so quite a few councils have removed them to try and keep the numpties under control.

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Best way to make the roads safe is to get the hot headed bicyclists off them, and their stupid lanes, get the roads wide again and clear of insane obstacles.
    i drive for living.

18. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Keep death off the road, walk on the pavement

Keep death off the road, learn the highway code.

Everyone using the road, even pedestrians really need to be aware of the highway code, education is the solution.

allesclar and DannyD like this.
  19. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    What is amazing is that after you have been doing 125mph for a while, 65 seems really slow.

20. I think this thread is about speed limits and not about speed in general. Drivers should always drive safely and avoid accidents, but arbitrary speed limits are mostly irrelevant.

It's also pointless to generalize breaking distances. Breaking distance depends on so many external factors like road condition, weather, car tires, weight of the vehicle, breaking system performance etc.. My car can stop from 30MPH in 13m. According to that website, I should be allowed to drive 30mph on 20mph roads. And conversely, during winter and on snow for example I wouldn't go faster than 15mph on the same road. Arbitrary speed limits will never cover all possible conditions. It's all about driver and how many information the driver has in the given moment.

allesclar likes this.