Speculating about NVIDIA Volta

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nateluthje, Oct 23, 2017.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to put it out there that I heard the Volta cards are coming Q2 2018. I am looking to upgrade from my 2 x ROG Asus Strix 1080 08G-gaming 11GBPS. I use my system for gaming @4K, and was just wondering if a Volta could (speculating here) run 4K @ Ultra with the newer games coming out - cyberpunk 2077 etc with a single card. I would wait until the enthusiast cards come out, probably in 2019 before upgrading. I haven't really been following what has been happening with the Volta cards because I've been busy. I know they are going to have HBM2 memory - up to 32GB, that's about it. I wanted to run a single card because of the problems running SLI and not all games scale with SLI well, some don't even have support, and it's just a LOT easier running a single card.

As I said, I'm just speculating and would like some feedback/thoughts.

I'd like to run 8K, it will be years before 8K becomes standard, an 8K monitor is $7500 (AU) without g-sync.

My specs are:
    Thermaltake V71 case
    Coolermaster 1000 watt power supply
    6700K @4.8Ghz 1.38v
    Asus maximus VIII Hero
    32GB Corsair Vengance 3000mhz
    Corsair H110i GT H2O cooler
    28" Acer XB280HK
    2 x ROG STRIX 1080-08G-gaming 11GBPS
    2 x Samsung 850 pro 2 TB and 1 x 512 850 evo (operating system).
    2 x 4Tb WD Black HDD for storage

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not sure the consumer variants will get 32GB of vRAM, be it HBM2 or not. I guess they'll stick to 16GB (which already is huge and should be sufficient for 4K) on Titans and TIs, probably 12 or something with GDDR5X / GDDR6 for "normal" cards.

Dependin on how CP2077 will look like, I guess you'll be fine with 4K ultra settings, since your monitor supports Gsync anyway.

Time wise I think Q2/18 will be right for the mainstream models (equivalent to 1070 and 1080), then or before that even the Titan, then the TI a bit later, as usual.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So basically, you came in here to ask a bunch of hypothetical questions that are impossible for anyone here to answer, and then type out your specs list.

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Yes, I asked "hypothetical" questions, but a lot of people have a lot more knowledge than my and even "speculating" some people have given me some good answers to my questions. SO thank you to all who replied.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Regarding Volta, personally I think Nvidia will hold it off as long as possible up until Navi will get a release date announcement.

I am certain Nvidia has already whole lineup set, and ready for a release. They simply wait.

If AMD won't release anything in 2018, we most likely won't see Volta either. Good indicator of this is soon to be released 1070 Ti.

6. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Reminds me of Chevy Volt , great car. gl

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not sure that either company seriously considers skipping next year for a product release. For Nvidia's high end GPUs (Titans, maybe TIs) it's a matter of HBM2 availability, GDDR6 should be fairly ready by first half of 2018. But I agree with you that Nvidia is probably just waiting to see what happens next, while AMD is preparing Navi.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Chevy volt is a junker; besides the point, another top post from you.