Southpark, family guy or simpsons

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by death_samurai, Aug 5, 2009.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    OKay i can now safely say i prefer american dad over family guy.

WHen i first started this thread i hadn't watched a single episode of AD, but after doing so i feel that it's better than FG even though FG has like 7 seasons vs 4 seasons of AD.

Firstly this is not very fair to family guy but the lead character in american dad is like a caricature of the ideal republican american, it's easier to make jokes out of that. Next since he works as a secert agent in the CIA the writes are able to create more scenerios with more interesting stories compared to FG. Stan is not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed but he's definitely smarter than Peter hence he is able to mouth off pretty smart retorts that would fly over Pete's head.

FG makes too many references to outside events not related to their characters. For eg if someone says this guy is less crazy than tom cruise it cuts to tom cruise, this person is fatter than oprah it cuts to oprah, this person looks more dikish than ellen it cuts to her. AD makes outside references but they still feature all the main characters.

Not their wives. I feel the blond wife of stan is more interesting than pete's wife. She's supposed to be dumb, while i guess pete's wife is something like a counter balance to pete. She's actually pretty bland.

Out of the 3 offspring of Pete, only the baby has the most lines since he's the most intelligent and interesting. The other 2 are less featured since they are pretty dull. In AD both children have the same amount of screen time with the main character. The only character that seems to have less is the talking fish which is pretty interesting.

LAstly the funniest character in my opinion in AD is the alien. He's a drunkard, foul mouthed self centred and has homosexual tendencies and he likes to cross dress and act as a woman to seduce men. Since he's not from this planet they are able to make him deviate from what normal earthlings do. Like if he starts acting nice he actually grows old and will die. The talking dog in family guy is boring compared to the alien roger.

Hopefully american dad replaces FG rather than be the spin off series.

PS who's the italian, hispanic dude that says goodbye at almost the end of every episode of AD?

2. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    lol american dad sucks in comparison to family guy i mean uber sucks in comparisin on its own its quite entertaining though

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Why do u say so? I gave my reasons why AD is better than FG.

Now contrast roger the alien with brian the talking dog.

The joke with brian is that he's a dog behaving like an intelligent well-spoken human even smarter than Peter. The joke gets boring pretty fast cos Brian is rather mild mannered and behaves normally. The only outlandish thing about him is that he's a dog.

Roger is intelligent too since he has many lines full of puns and sarcastic remarks plus he has many character flaws. Being self centered, drinks alcohol, treats the family he lives in shabbily, disguises as a woman when he's potrayed as a male assuming he's a male since he has a male voice. Yet since he's an alien the writers can think up anything and it wouldn't be too outlandish. Like let's say for eg they reveal Roger is asexual or has both sexual organs and it's not even a stretch since he's not from this planet.

4. FarCryDX

FarCryDX Member

GPU:
    EVGA Ref GTX 980
    It was.. inevitable that the thread would end up this way :D

5. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    So pretty much peter = roger... they pretty similar, apart from the whole costume thing

6. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    South Park is usually the cleverest, Simpsons is my favorite, Family Guy occasionally makes me laugh but is usually just annoyingly retarded.

I quite liked the South Park where they went to the family guy studio and found out that the family guy writers are these manitees floating in a tank that just select random context/famous person/pop culture reference balls. Explained a lot

7. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    LOL Boobbys world had a huge impact in my up bringing talk about imagination I really like Life with Luie but havn't been able to find any episodes=|

8. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Robot chicken is always good for a laugh

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Simpsons tries too hard sometimes, it shouldn't try to emulate other shows just stick to what worked. Family guy recycles alot of jokes and just replaces the subjects. Southpark for some reason I could never get into, I think it has to do with me not liking snow or spastic kids. I'd have to go with family guy though cause it just keeps the jokes coming and some of them are genuinely funny, and I like how they poke fun at famous supposedly "untouchable" people.

Oh one I saw the other day that had me rofl'ing was squidbillies. That was some funny show right ther.

"I HEART COCK
    ---fighting"

lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  10. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Yikes just watch the show and laugh dude

11. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    first few seasons of simpsons was great

should of ended long time a go

futurama is quite funny but some of the stuff like bulky crts in year 3000- i dont understand maybe its meant to be ironic? i dunno maybe im looking into it too much.

12. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I do I do it man!!:banana::banana:

13. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Futurama FTW.

14. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb
    Southpark for me!

Although my favorite television show would have to be Home Movies(shame no more episodes) The humor is intelligent and mostly improv.

Coach mcgurk has to be the funniest character in all of cartoons.

15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    lol that's what it's all about right! :)

16. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force....for the second time. :D