South Korea Preps 10Gbps Broadband - 1GB in 0.8 Secs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2014.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I'll bet with bandwidth like that, we could be streaming full 2160p at 60 fps like it was nothing...

That's pretty good in a lot of areas other than big cities. I max out at 2.1 mb/sec and 200 kb/sec upload, completely un-capped. I can get faster service (not that much faster though) but there doesn't seem to be a reason I'd need to at the moment.

My phone has faster internet (which is really silly to me) and I rarely ever use that speed other than checking emails, weather and news.

People in cities complaining about their already pretty good speed could use a little time in the sticks to appreciate their bandwidth more. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    7GB/month cap means you can't download ****..... That sucks.

3. lantian

lantian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4gb
    I used to live in Latvia and back when i was still there around 2009,2010 they where making the move from 100Mbps to 1Gps down, and the prices where about 30 euro at the time(since we had our own currency back then)
    i just can't get my head around the bandwidth caps, its no a resource you can run out of, why did people not realize back when they started implementing them that they are getting screwed

4. spider

spider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    Which ISP?
    Normally they are all charging 45€ in that speed range.

5. lantian

lantian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4gb
    Kabel deutchland

6. fusion

fusion Active Member

GPU:
    6850hd radeon / 1GB
    Adsl 2+ is still the standard in Australia, you can get optical here with speeds of up to 100mbs which is currently 'rolling out'. But Australia is large with low population, we can't afford these technologies unless we all are prepared to all live in Tasmania.

I just hope that 100mbs becomes the norm sooner rather than later.

7. spider

spider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Uhm... I get 20Mbps down and 2 up for 20€ per month. Thankfully it's "fair use" (as in unlimited), because I hit the 40-50GB WITHOUT downloading, only through gaming and SKYPE.

9. huilun02

huilun02 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X Lightning
    What are they trying to play games at 4K using nothing but the internet?

I'm on a 300Mbps fiber line here in Singapore, SGD $39, top 7% in the country. I think that's more than enough already lol.

10. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    15mbps here and it's $40/month. The USA is quite poor on internet speeds and pricing compared to the other "luxuries" we have and take for granted. :(

11. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    It's something they're offering for people who sign up for their service. Apparently they have to convince building management that their services would be worth installing. Anyone who signs up gets the reduced rate, looks good though. I'm not sure if I actually need the 1gbps connection though at this point, the 10mbps isn't the quickest but I'm hardly struggling with it.

12. lantian

lantian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4gb
    it first year cost as a promotion and after that you can go to which ever plan you want without extra cost for the switch, so ill just move to faster one(which hopefully they will have and probably for almost the same price) after my year is up, since i have yet to see them not offering any discount once you are there in person, im just using their offers the right way

13. tugCREW

tugCREW Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 480 1.5gb SLI
    Wow, just scratching my head. In Nigeria 1GB internet data cap at speed of 1mbps cost $22 per month. My country a village in the internet scheme of things

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's depressing that USA can't reliably give 100mbs at a reasonable price. I can't even get 50mbs reliably.

15. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I don't even know how fast my Comcast is supposed to be. I think the theory speed is 25mbps.

The fastest downloads I see are from Steam or Origin...maybe 4mb per second, usually drops down to 3 after a while.

16. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Meh 80mbs/25mbs is good enough for me at the moment. Games are done in around 10-30mins depending on size and streaming is fine in the house so 10gbs just seems like overkill to me. I will be interested in 1gbs+ however at a reasonable price but I simply do not have a use for that much speed at the moment, so unless you can start streaming Bluray quality film/audio/3D or 4K content I really don't see the need for home usage.

Enterprise however I can see a big uptake as this would be fantastic for DFS services, Datacentres and back up technologies between offices.

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Canada: Where Technological Mediocrity is praised and residents pay top dollar for it.

Seriously pisses me off. We get so screwed with Internet & Cable prices (don't even get me started with property, clothing, food, etc) its a travesty.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I pay $60 for 75/75 but I often get closer to 90/90 in NJ but that's also with TV package.

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Amen to that...im supposed to get 16mbps peek but lucky if i get 11, over the last couple of yrs ive moved closer to my little towns telephone exchange and despite being told by talktalk on numerous occasions that the closer i am the better the speed im not seing the evidence, about 2 yrs ago i was about 1000mts from exchange and getting 14-14.5mbps but im 200mts now and getting 11 max and thats on a high spd profile which talktalk set at there end.

20. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I've had 2mbit since 2006, before that I had 0.5mbit since 2004 and previous to that I was still on 56k. Supposedly my exchange is being upgraded next year. Hope so, I think I'm due an upgrade. Can't complain too much though as although all the scenery around me means I'm the last house connected to my exchange, the views are worth it.