Soundcards w/ 5.1 Support thru Digital Optical Cable

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ebednar11, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well stock it does only support 2 channel whichs is what S/Pdif can send out. The enocder is bought seperately and allows the audio to be encoded.

2. ebednar11

ebednar11 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
  3. goodald

goodald Member Guru

GPU:
    580 Asus DCII

Yeah, the ddl/dts connect activation license will enabled 5.1/7.1 over optical.

May want to consider: http://www.buy.com/prod/creative-pc...atal1ty-professional/q/loc/101/207982712.html

As it comes with the ddl/dts activation (saves you 5 bucks i guess). Unless, of course, you don't have a pcie slot or have a need for the breakout box.

I also recommend using the support pack (repack of all installable files) found here over downloading from creative's site:

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/SB-X-Fi-Series-Support-Pack-2-0-05-15-2009/m-p/527485

This actually had newer version of the ddl/dts connect.. Plus you aren't propmpted to reinstall till everything's installed (creative prompts you after each component otherwise).

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

5. ebednar11

ebednar11 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I could not resist the price from Amazon.com for $179. I went with the X-fi Elite Pro and bought the encoder package for $5.

Does the support package 2.0 contain drivers that are more stable?

6. goodald

goodald Member Guru

GPU:
    580 Asus DCII
    I found it easier to install and had newer ddl/dts connect components. In fact, for some reason My xfi kept showing up as an extreme music when I tried to use creative's separate drivers. This corrected the issue.

If you do run into issue with driver installation (and you use win7) try installing the support pack in safe mode. I don't recall being able to install drivers in safe mode with xp/vista but 7 let's you (and got me around the wrong card detected issue).

You can use the creative software update tool to look for any updates (for example, I think a new alchemy version was just released).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. ebednar11

ebednar11 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
  8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you happen to notice the age of that article is 2005?
    or that they don't even mention realtime DDL or DTS-C encoders.

They will operate as was suggested.

The encoders will enocode the gaming audio and allow you to send the surround audio to another system over S/Pdif(Coax,optical).

That is it....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    Would a AMD Radeon 5XXX series be a good choice, seeing as I have a Denon AVR-790 which can accept the newer Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio codecs? How well would the Radeon work for music?

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have never tested one for music. However, in such a system the receiver is responsible for the sound quality. I am unsure how it would handle sounds or games. GFX, is Hilbert's thing...

11. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I'd just spend some extra cash on a Auzen Forte(PCI-E) or equivalent. I use my PC in a home theater setting, I get 7.1 surround sound games with no fps drop. I use the analog as well as the digital connection. The DTS-C(which I prefer) & Dolby Live sound amazing. It's well worth the extra cost IMHO. Or just follow ROBSCIX advice, the man knows his sound cards. He won't steer you wrong. I was skeptical at first, spending that much on a sound card, but when I got my driver issues ironed out, I found it to be one of my best investments, it truely adds a new level of immersion.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is alot of difference between basic onboard audio and a modern soundcard.

13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

nvm im gonna make a new thread

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
  14. coneil

coneil New Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    Hi Guys,

I've been sat looking for answers to my 5.1 issue for a while now and only found this thread yesterday. I have a X-Fi Fatal1ty with I/O bay, and i have that connected via optical to my Bose sound system. I use VLC player for video and if its 5.1 then the bose detects that and hey no problems! The problem has always been with games, and only in 2.0

I went home last night, bought the DDL pack as recommended by Robscix, Installed the support pack, registered DDL, turned it on.... and it Worked! Bose changed to Dolby Digital 5.1, and Games worked... Tested L4D2 and the new BFBC2 Beta... i'm a happy man!

So like to say a big thank you to Robscix and Goodald for the advice.. cheers chaps!

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Enjoy. Glad I could help.:)