SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1

Discussion in 'Hardware Reviews and News' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Please post comments on this product here.<P>------------------<BR>Hilbert Hagedoorn - Chief Editor<BR>- "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

2. Guest

Guest Guest

How does the remote work? I want one for the remote but I want to use my own software. I'm wondering if it interfaces as a serial based reciever or is it all proprietary. I want to be able to control winamp and also my TV card so I can make my computer a truely multimedia computer with a home theater apeal.<P>

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's all proprietary I'm afraid. It only functions well with Creative software, except for volume :}

4. Ojokoltsa

Ojokoltsa Guest

It looked like to me as if its possible to program other applications as well so that you can use the remote for them as well.<P>However, I'm going to ripp out the SB LIVE 5.1 Platinum today when I'm comin' back home and give it back to my hardware dealer. That card is only a better gaming card. And then a 199,- bucks are a pretty hefty price! It isn't as good as Creative claims it to be, it can't even receive a true digital audio signal at its S/PDIF CD In at the card. That given, its absolutely impossible to record CD's onto MD's digitally, in other words, 1:1. That's a shame for such a card, even my old Terratec DMX Fire 1024 can do it- and that card only costs 58,- $. The programs coming with the softwarebundle aren't this good either. In my case, they are absolutely useless. <P>The EAX sound with this cards are still the best ever heard, though. My personal conclusion: if you've too much money and you want a better lookin' gaming card, go get it. Otherwise there are better card's for less money on the marked.<P>Pretty disappointed<P>Ojokoltsa<p>[This message has been edited by Ojokoltsa (edited January 08, 2001).]

5. judderman

judderman Guest

I was wondering how you got your remote to work, because i can't seem to get it to work on mine. Do you have to have Creative RemoteCenter Manager running? Also Ojokoltsa you can do CD's onto MD's digitally, thorough the Optical out.

6. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    Question is the SoundBlaster Live! X Gamer 5.1 the same as the SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1 but with out all the bells and whistles?????

7. Eis

Eis Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800 u 425/1100 stock
    the difference between the x gamer and the mp3 and the platium is that, the gamer has 4 games with it, the mp3 has mp3 software with it and, the platim has both with it plus a remote and a thing to adusts sound and hook instrument to. but all 3 are the same card.

8. jammin7

jammin7 Guest

I tested a Hercules Game Theater and the Platinum 5.1..The Hercules is actually a nice card, separate usb hub/midi/line in/etc, the sound card has no outputs on it except for the cable that connects to the the out-box. I bought the Platinum in the end, mainly because I wanted everything internal (can move the computer around no hassle). <P>Both sounded decent (neither is a pro grade card)..I plan to add a Yamaha or other card for dedicated recording (I'm a musician).<P>I regards to the 5.1 and Platinum/X-gamer/Mp3, same card (you can buy the 5.25 bay separate anytime from Creative for about $80.00 USD.) If you don't need the bay, buy the X-Gamer. Creative always throws in a great bundle of software (Platinum has everything) so I got UT/DeusX/MDK2/Theif 2..all games I didn't own, plus MP3 play/rip software, musicware (I already have better) but still nice.<P>If you like Mp3's, Turtle Beach sells a wireless transmitter w/remote - You can use your computer as server to any stereo in or around your home. I bought one, it works great (bandwidth is I think 2.1ghz) so it'll carry you pretty far (aim it right and you can hook up to your neihbors stereo!!)<P>They also are coming out with a dedicated Mp3 player (looks like CD Player) that uses phone-line type networking. Only drawback is price which is like + $300.00.