1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    What soundbars are you using? (or full surround setup if some still have room for those)
    Got a good deal on a lg soundbar (SJ4R http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SJ4R-wireless-surround-kit) and was thinking about buying to go with http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-65UJ634V i bought on sale. (the built in sound is awful like all tv's).
    I had cheap Samsung soundbar before (fw-350) but i moved that to another tv. The sound was ok for the price.
    The tv is only used for netflix/plex and movies, no gaming,

2. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I use the Pioneer Andrew Jones sound bar...sounds amazing. But I don't use it on my TV, I just use it for bluetooth for my laptop and gaming PC when I don't have to use headphones. We still use the built in speakers on all the TV's in our house.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I'd go for full-range speakers from a brand that actually focuses on speakers and audio quality. LG isn't one of them. There's active stereo speakers out there that even have a subwoofer pass-though in case you want to add more "boom" later on in case you move to a bigger room. For non-huge rooms, full-range speakers with 6" or even 5.5" woofers are usually fine. And with a good brand, you're gonna get some actual nice sound. These "soundbars" will have sound that's lacking compared to full-rage speakers.

But that's just me.

4. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    You may have overlooked the concept of what the sound bar is intended for. Simple all in one setup with little requirements of space, complexity and expense. A compromise.
    But the one I bought got great reviews plus it's only $250. https://www.stereophile.com/content/surpassing-expectations-pioneers-andrew-jones
    pioneer-sp-sb23w-review

"from action movies, to dramas sitcoms, and music. The system’s rich and clear sound signature, ample stereo spread, and musical low end provided just the right boost of sound quality, bringing our home theater experience to life; all in a neat and compact package."

pimpernell likes this.

5. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Thank you for the replies.
    I did order the soundbar since i got a very good deal on it (about 270$ or so, half the new price on sale) .
    I am very aware that it is a compromise for sound compared to full surround setups, but space and aesthetic do play a role here since it going in the living room and not the office/game room. (wall mounting needed).
    Will arrive in a few days and i can give the impression.

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Got the soundbar up and running and i am pleased with it so far.
    Setup was extremely easy (since i got a lg tv). Just plug in the hdmi and set the rest up from the tv menu and you use the tv remote for the volume.
    The sub and rear speakers are cordless (power cord) with absolutely no setup needed, just turn on and they paired automatically. Very easy to hang the mainbar on the wall and the rear speakers only needed a screw to hang on. (but both rear speakers needs cords to the unit giving power and signal)
    Pleased with the sound quality. Surround is ok and even if the volume could have been a bit higher , it is more then enough for movies and shows. Netflix with 4k hdr and surround is sweet and the sound system take almost no room and can be hidden easy in the living room.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    I'm using a Samsung HW-K850 Dolby Atmos sound bar and loving it. I like the space savings it brings along with the marvelous sounds it reproduces.

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapp R9 290X CF H20
    I'd be moving to a dinky apartment soon, where space is really limited. Bought a 65" Panasonic 4K Smart TV and a Samsung HW-K651 3.1 soundbar to go with the TV. It has to be aesthetically pleasing and sound good. This would be used mostly to watch movies and TV programs, I'll hook it up to my TV and a HTPC I intend to build from one of my spare PC's (2600K or 4770K). 4K content isn't a concern as I'd be mainly focused on 1080P content. Anyway, I auditioned the HW-K651 before buying it and I'm quite satisfied with what I've heard.

9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    You will be amazed what the new tv's can do :) I highly recommend to at least try out netflix's 4k/hdr selection (if you got it in your area, you can get a month for free).
    If you are planning to run plex or some mediaserver on that HTPC i would go for the 4770k. I had to switch out a oc q9550 to a 4790k to transcode higher bitrate bluray rip's. The q9550 could not handle it.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018