Sound Crash With SLI enabled

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kRoOkEd, Mar 18, 2010.

1. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!!:bang:

The most stable drivers I have used are the 191.07. After that, its been downhill. ( I need the newer drivers for decent framerates in Crysis Warhead, Metro 2033, and BFBC2 ).
    When using the 196.21, 196.34, 196.75(wont use anymore, aware that they have been deemed dangerous), and now the 197.13 drivers, once I enable SLI and load up a game, all I hear is a harsh static or buzzing sound. The games run very smooth and the framerates are increased dramatically as promised in the release notes, but my sound crashes. Its terrible. Its so bad I have to rip my headset off my head as quickly as possible to avoid brain damage ).

*Please Note*
    Prior to installing new drivers, I uninstall the display adapter via the device manager, delete the nvidia folders in my c:\ drive, uninstall physx, and run the driver sweeper as an administrater. Then I reboot in safe mode, let windows recognize the video cards (cant install driver unless it does this), and install the new driver as administrator.

Some things I have tried were:
    Make sure all sound drivers are up to date.
    Disabling on-board sound
    Installing the drivers without the nvidia hd audio files included.
    Installing the beta driver with driver signature enforcement disabled
    Fresh Win7 install (196.75 blue screened and was never able to reboot)
    Tested power supply and RAM.
    Monitored card temps, all stable.
    Increased SPP and Memory Voltage.
    DId a rain dance AND sacrificed a stray cat to the graphics driver gods.

My Specs: System 100% stable Avg Case Temp 20 Celsius.. All temps always excellent

Windows 7 Professional x64
    Q9650 3.0 @ 4ghz 100% stable 1.27 vCore
    2x Nvidia GTX 285
    8GB DDR3 1600 1.9v
    10,000 RPM velociraptor
    2x7200 WD Caviar Black in Raid 0
    EVGA 790i digital mobo
    Creative soundblaster x-Fi titanium pro sound card
    1200 watt coolmax psu
    10 fans 2500 rpm aerocool black chrome turbines
    LG DVD Drive
    Cooler master Stacker 830
    Scythe Kaze Master Ace fan controller

2. SumLeetNub

SumLeetNub Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti DirectCU II
    Which is where ya going wrong if ya doing it exactly as you stated.

Your uninstalling, cleaning, THEN booting to safemode......NO NO NO NO. Plus there is no need to uninstall physx.

I download the driver in question, make a folder on my desktop, extract the files into the folder, then delete the Physx, 3dvison and HD audio drivers. Then when its time to install I just run the setup.exe in said folder.

Try----> Control panel, add/remove programs, nvidia drivers, then choose only the display drivers to remove/uninstall, reboot into safe mode, clean, reboot, install. Driversweeper used to have the option of deleting the c:\nvidia directory...i dunno if it still does as I use DC.net.

As for the sound, which drivers???, if I use the latest drivers (off the top of my head I cant remember which they are) I get crashes or buzzing or generally sh1t sound, I use the previous version and all is well. Also, which slot do you have the x-Fi in?? if I pop mine in the 1x PCI-e slot it goes t1ts up, but if i drop it to the lowest PCI slot then its fine...go figure

3. SumLeetNub

SumLeetNub Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti DirectCU II
    P.S. This was when i was running 8800gtx SLi

4. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    |||||||||I download the driver in question, make a folder on my desktop, extract the files into the folder, then delete the Physx, 3dvison and HD audio drivers. Then when its time to install I just run the setup.exe in said folder.

Try----> Control panel, add/remove programs, nvidia drivers, then choose only the display drivers to remove/uninstall, reboot into safe mode, clean, reboot, install. Driversweeper used to have the option of deleting the c:\nvidia directory...i dunno if it still does as I use DC.net.||||||||||

Ok, but if i uninstall display driver, then reboot into safe mode to clean and reboot, then start windows normally to install the new drivers, then once it goes into windows normally its gonna update the drivers automatically and im supposed to install the new drivers on top of that? then that makes the cleaning irrelevant. no? and i tried with both old n new xfi drivers

5. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Creative┬┤s X-FI are known to have problems when using SLI, specially if the GFX cards share IRQ with the X-FI. I would start to check that, and if possible, try to change slots for the X-FI so it gets an own separate IRQ.

6. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    How do I check its IRQ and change it if possible....

And if I change the slot would i have to uninstall it then reinstall it? thanx

7. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    one of those "have you's" ;)

have you disabled onboard sound in your BIOS? If your sound get distorted, check Control panel->system->device manager, look for exclamations

the onboard audio gets "auto" after boot failures, it's possible it's enabled and taking resources.

8. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Yes I troubleshooted that first. But thanx.

9. SumLeetNub

SumLeetNub Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti DirectCU II
    When it restarts after cleaning in safe mode etc, it only installs the vgasave driver...unless you have windows update set to auto update....then it downloads and installs the last WHQL.

Set windows update to check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them (3rd option), this way it wont, plus it wont auto update the chipset drivers as well. Speaking of chipsets, look on the forums as to whether this is giving anyone else any problems. Then start the clean/install process again.

P.S When windows tells you new updates are available, make sure you untick any Display drivers or chipset drivers.

EDIT: yes, you need to uninstall the x-fi drivers then reinstall when you swap ports, take it out, clean drivers for both display and creative, reboot and install display drivers then turn off n pop the x-fi in then install them drivers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  10. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010

11. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Thanks Bokah, I will try that driver. But I found out that on the 790i boards, the pci express slots all share ther same IRQ channels and its the latest nvidia drivers that cause the bandwidth to flood. But I will try your solution thanks.

12. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    if u didnt find it yet, u can check IRQ's from control panel/device control/view/show by resources

13. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Yes I have checked the IRQ's for the hardware and verified they are the same. Wish I can change them =(

The only fix for this it seems it upgrading to x58/core i7

14. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti
    yea the xfi has tons of issues now especially with sli. you would have better luck finding answers and maybe even a ghettofied solution on creatives forums

15. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    thanx. ill check

16. Chunter

Chunter Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    i bet you a beer that if you turn your ocz ram down to stock speeds your problems will disappear,ie everything on auto in bios.
    i've just got rid of my ocz gold for a similar type of problem.
    my ocz gold, even though it passed every stress test known to man, it would fail in real world applications.
    replaced it with corsair dominators last night and now running at 1603 due to my tiny 3.2 overclock.
    bfbc2 not one crash with corsair at 1603,ocz gold at 1603 or 1300 (ish) crashed everytime,sometimes with sound loop crashes...at standard speed (1066) it worked fine...plus with the ocz windows 7 would say 6 gigs installed but only 4 available.

17. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
  18. Atoll

Atoll Member

GPU:
    GTX 295 Dual PCB w/ bckpl
    Didn't readprevious posts, but I'd suggest checking NB and SB cooling especially with the nv chipset mobo. Add a fan and/or replace the chewing gum with thermal paste underneath the NB and SB cooling.