Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Run Latencymon to find the culprits.
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

You can reduce latency on some components by telling them to use MSI type interrupts.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/
    Download MSIUtil to change them.

2. Richard8899

Richard8899 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980ti
  3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    Did you plug the astro's directly into the sound card to the headphone jack on the rear, is it plugged in all the way?, also what hp amp setting do you have it on, Low, Medium or high? From the specs of the Astro 40's they are 48ohms but they don't say such as how much power or it's sensitivity. You may be able to get away with it set to low, if your using medium.

As Low = 16-31ohm Normal = 32-149ohm and High = 150-600ohm

I had popping noises my self once but i don't recall what I did to make it go away as it been some time ago. I don't recall if it was because of me lowering the windows sound panel to 16bit/44khz from 24bit/48khz that fixed the issues I had, or was it something else. Hopfuly that program that was linked fixes it for you.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Take a microbrush and clean out the 3.5" socket Line-Out/Headphone port that you are using. (If using a metal brush, turn off the power first) You may have marginal contacts with the plug. If it happens in everything you plug into, then the plug itself may have weak connections, and need to be resoldered.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    You can click the tabs and see which programs are causing the highest latency.
    It also tells you the worst one on the main screen.

6. Richard8899

Richard8899 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980ti
    It's plugged into the sound card and is all the way in. I have it set to Low (16-31ohm) and on playback devices, I kept it as it came 24bit 48000 (studio quality)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    Creative just released an new driver today fixing some more issues.

What's New:

• Mic default gain set to 3dB with 10dB boost
    • Integrated product registration
    Fixes:

• Missing Speaker Configuration after re-installation
    • Speaker Configuration not updated after switching to or from Direct mode
    • Settings locked in Headphones mode
    • Voice Morph test not functioning in localized languages
    • Incorrect language display in Lighting tab after switching language

chispy likes this.
  8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    This card is really good I've found, just needs some serious attention to fixing the software, because the software is letting it down at the moment. I've had most of the things happen to me listed in this thread, like loud volume and sound only coming from one ear.
    It's still a nice upgrade for me personally though, from STX II. More neutral than STX II, improved energy but still musical, detail is more obvious and the sound stage is bigger, headphone amp is of higher quality (lower output impedance and better layering). Creative make the best sound cards, as always. At least they improve and innovate not just recycle the same tech, like Asus sound cards. Would recommend.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  9. noidin

noidin Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4G
    Hello , someone using sb ae-5 with dt990 pro? Have some profile (equalizer) to help-me ?

10. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Use the Neutral profile in dashboard, Direct HP in Setup and the correct gain setting for your headphone. This is all you need really. I never EQ anything, always ends up sounding worse.

I suggest just getting a new headphone if your not happy with the sound signature of your current HP.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Since i upgraded to windows 10 fall's creators edition 1709 my old sound card now 7 years old :D lol ( Creative X-Fi Titanium HD pci-e ) does not work anymore :/ on the new OS 1709 due to required new drivers for the newly released windows OS ( Used to work fine on windows 10 creators update 1703 ) , and since it's end of life Creative won't provide new drivers :rolleyes:.

I'm stuck with Realtek onboard sound but not for long as i found this review very helpful ( https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/sound-blaster-ae-5-review-long-read-grab-an-snack.416146/page-4 ) on wish i will based my new sound card purchase and hopefully it will last me as long as my old X-Fi Titanium HD ~7 years or more :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    What a downer.
    I'm still on Windows 7 because of crap like this.

You could install Windows 7 using the same key as you did before.
    As you have already 'upgraded' to Windows 10 that option will still work.
    This way you can get a few more years out of your hardware and have the better experience!

chispy likes this.
  13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    I know right :/ , it is a downer for sure as this sound card X-Fi Titanium HD has some of the best sounds i ever heard out of a sound card. I guess it is time for a replacement since i need to use windows 10 for the games i play ( Forza Motorsports 7 and Forza Horizon 3 Games ) from the windows store.
    Here is a link of some people with the same problems as i have on the new Windows 10 Falls Creators Update 1709 and the X-Fi sound card - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l/7bb6f8ca-efb2-4802-8bec-6bcf7ada849a?auth=1 .

Well , i have just ordered the SoundBlaster X AE-5 from newegg as i cannot stand the Realtek onboard sounds any longer :p , cross my fingers that it will last me a long time ...

Mufflore likes this.
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    You'll be in awe of the AE-5, the best PC gaming soundcard yet for sound quality.
    Read up on the bugs and potential solutions, its early days.
    Many older bugs have been patched out so look for post patch problems.

chispy likes this.
  15. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    Can you five more clues about this patch ?
    Do you mean some newer driver version ?
    Where to find also that readup with the post patch bugs ?

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Its general info I picked up reading forums, mostly here.
    I dont have a breakdown of the issues, that was just a headsup to research them.
    Same can be said for most new cards.

17. djsolidsnake86

djsolidsnake86 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7850
    guys there is a way for change on the fly output from speaker to headphones? a link or a hotkey?
    if not, i must go everytime inside the panel and change this setting?

18. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    Do I need Creative Connection Service and Creative AudPos Service running or it is safe to disable them ?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    I have received my ae-5 today , it works great using latest windows 10 fall creators update 1709 , no problems with the latest drivers installed. I'm still trying to make it sound as good as my old X-Fi Titanium but it is not able to give me the same loud , crisp clear sounds as my old sound card X-Fi connected thru my logitech Z-906 speakers :(. Will play with it for a few more days ...

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Thats surprising.
    A major benefit of the Sabre32 DACs is high detail retrieval and from brand new this tends to be a bit stronger until it beds in.

Did you mod your Titanium HD?
    Can you do a comparison with headphones in case something odd is going on with the speaker system?
    (not for quality necessarily but to see if the AE-5 gives a crisper sound)

Users of the AE-5 should be able to assist with settings in case they can be screwed up.
    It might be worth trying a fresh OS install on a spare drive to see if that makes a difference.