Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ah gotcha.. :) I think he bought this AE5

Mufflore likes this.
  2. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Ae5 . Amazon not selling this ocsigen free silver cable?
    And speakers are lg entry soundbar sj3

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    If you are using a soundbar, dont bother with high end cables, it will be a waste.
    Use standard ones.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I know that my sound bar does convert the analogue input to digital so it would be best to use spdif but then it it could be just internal realtek feeding it. Well, at least AE-5 would allow some DSP effect but still.

5. kosta20071

kosta20071 Active Member

GPU:
    Quadro 4000m
    Sound Blaster Command 3.4.62.0 update available.

6. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    Just wondering if anyone could help me with my X-AE5 and popping noises I am experiencing. I'm getting intermittent pops in my gaming audio as well as audio playback through itunes. I've ran the test in the playback section of Sound Blaster Command and if I abruptly stop it while playing there is an audio pop.

A while back I uninstalled the AE5 drivers + SB Connect and installed the new Sound Blaster Command+driver. I then reinstalled Sound Blaster Connect along with Command to retain the RGB control of the AE5. I updated to the latest version of Command (3.4.62) just a couple of days ago. I have a fairly new PC build with an Asus Maximus XI Hero, 8700K, 32GB RAM, 1300W PSU running an installation of Win 10 1903 that has been upgraded from 1-2 previous versions. Can provide any details I've missed on request.

7. lukiboss

lukiboss Member

GPU:
    3650 mobility
    Hello, im new to creative ae-5, what is the difference between soundblaster command and soundblaster connect? Which should i use?
    Also i have read that this card support only stereo DTS signal thru optical cable, is it right? I have logitech z-5500 speakers btw

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    command is newer, same as used for ae-7 and ae-9 but you lose rgb control, connect works out the box for everything.

9. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    I'm getting really bad crackling and popping with my X-AE5 and Win 10 1909. I fresh installed 1909 just two weekends ago. I've done endless troubleshooting. Is anyone else having issues? There is post back in this thread where someone complained of severe crackling and reverted to an earlier Windows version which fixed it. Is this a Windows thing? Driver? Bad sound card? Please help...

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    AMD based system?

11. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    No Intel. Z390 Asus Maximus XI Hero motherboard with an 8700K and 32GB RAM. This is my second owned SB X-AE5. My old one was also Intel based with a Z370 Asus Maximus X Hero. It was literally plug and play, I've never had this much trouble. The popping and crackling occurs from all sound sources i.e Mobo on-board sound, Nvidia HD audio from GPU DP cable to the monitors internal speakers and the SB X-AE5. At this point I'm thinking Windows or motherboard issue...

Edit: I've actually been talking to someone on Reddit who is experiencing the same problem. They've tried two Z390 motherboards with the SB X-AE5.

I also noticed this from Windows Volume Mixer. Pop crackles on Systems sounds but not Device sounds. They both play back the same Windows sound...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 1:19 PM
  12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It could be some kind of driver issue that causes massive DPC latency issues thus audio popping. If you have some kind of hardware monitoring software installed (from Asus) I'd consider removing them at first. If nothing helps, try clean install Windows.

13. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    I resorted to clean installing Windows just last weekend. Fresh installed Win 10 1909 and instantly had the system sounds crackling and popping. Apart from what ever Windows Update installed for drivers I just have the chipset, LAN, IRST drivers installed. There is no latency spike when these sounds pop crackle, no spike in CPU or any system resources. There may be something sneaky Asus has installed, I noticed some services but need to check. Otherwise I'm at a total loss...

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Try without the AE5 in and see if other sound devices improve.

See what happens without your gfx card in (use onboard gfx).
    If this helps it could be related to the gfx card or might point to a PSU issue. (or even the display)

If you have another PSU, give it a try.
    There may be a fault causing tiny arcs.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Kol12 likes this.
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I just solved a crackling audio issue by not using Chredge or Chrome. Their hw access methodology doesn't like my G6. Firefox doesn't give me this issue. You can also try moving the card to another PCIe slot. Despite MSI IRQ support, you can get pesky sharing issues.

16. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    The GPU is water cooled so not easily removed from the PCIE slot... I tried disabling the GPU from Device Manager and there was no change. The PSU is a brand new Seasonic Prime 1300W. I reluctant to install the Asus Realtek drivers again to test the on board sound because they can be pesky to remove but....

17. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    Is Nvidia HD audio sent through some of the motherboard's audio channels via PCIE? Getting the same crackling with the HD audio from the GPU DP cable to the monitors 8W speakers.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    HDMI HD audio is entirely separate from onboard audio, it is a digital channel to feed audio data to an AV system or TV, with that device becoming the soundcard.

After a clean install with minimal drivers and no latency spikes there shouldnt be a problem.
    The aim of my troubleshooting is to find which element has a physical problem/faulty component.
    It doesnt matter how new or big a component is, the problem prevails so it is suspect.

19. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    So if it's still doing it over HD audio does that does provide any clues? Does it look more software than hardware? Latency doesn't appear to be the issue, these pops are occurring with low latency and not causing any spikes...

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I gave my take, you need to test things.