Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Cosmic Ray

Cosmic Ray New Member

GPU:
    Sound BlasterX AE-5
    I can answer that question since SB got back to me with info, after earlier support sessions that were not so good. I'm doing this to help any other hapless person that might get in this situation like I did. I thought that a device had only a single driver for it in the system that was available to run the device. So, I thought the driver had to be installed such that it is the main (and I thought only) thing running the device. I'm not sure if that was true before, but of course it's not true now.
    When SB Control (and possibly Connect) is loaded, an option to include drivers is presented (it actually says "driver" which adds to confusion). Selecting the option brings in the ASIO driver. However, that driver cannot be found by doing a search in your computer, from what I saw. It also is not the driver loaded to be the operative one in your system. Thus, you have no way of knowing it's in your system. To get use from it, you don't (and cannot I believe) load it as the main operative one. To get use from it for a particular application, you must go into that application and go through menus to find the place where you can choose a driver for audio, and when you do that, the ASIO driver will appear on a list of available drivers. Wow. At least in the end, Creative came through with acceptable help for me.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Correct, ASIO is SUPPORTED by the driver package, and you have to configure your application to output/record using ASIO.

3. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
    Any old D2X owners here who can give me an opinion on the AE-5 is it worth me picking up as the D2X no longer gets new drivers and sooner or later i see it no longer working.

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    yeah

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    It's a nice card. If you are into headphone audiophilia, the Creative G6 is a better option; as you expand your system, you can use the G6 as a Surround HTRF Virtualizer (Line-Out or Optical Out) on any system, and can use the device as a DAC/preamp if needed.

6. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
    So should work well with my Z5500 speakers im using for my PC. How are creative with drivers now days?

7. Dr.No.pt

Dr.No.pt Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Sound Blaster Command 3.4.56.0 update available.

warlord likes this.
  8. KC8DKT

KC8DKT New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti
    I have the AE-5 with SBCommand 3.4.56.0 and love it. The only odd thing is that when in speaker mode the BASS will grey out under the Acoustic Engine settings. It works fine in Head-Phone mode though. Is this normal or did I miss some thing to get this working? I have a 5.1 6amp system setup plugged in to the 3 output jacks.

9. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    i have the same thing and yes its not normal and needs fixed.
    the only time you would get greyed out sbx options would be in direct mode or if scout 2.0 was enabled.

10. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Nothing needs fix. It's normal. When in speaker mode you get those hz frequency crossover for subwoofer only. It was like this since day one. Now why they did it I do not really know. Try for compensation through the equalizer's options.

11. KC8DKT

KC8DKT New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti
    I was thinking the same thing about it being odd. Thought I would ask in case I was missing something. My XFi card died (poor thing getting old as dirt) and this AE5 was the only card to date I have tested that worked and sounded good with my setup.

Thanks for the info...

warlord likes this.
  12. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Old xfi had ups and downs. That ae-5, not only ditched without reason DDLive / DTS connect, they cannot let us enjoy extra bass with acoustic engine. Well, you will learn to live with it, like I did. :p

13. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    the strange thing is sometimes then if you say its normal that special effects cant be used in speaker mode, sometimes it will let me and sometimes they will be greyed out explain that one lol :D

EDIT: ok all settings do work in speaker mode apart from BASS, thats the only greyed out option all others work and all profiles work to..

EDIT2: if you want more bass, try going into playback and clicking on the little COG
    and unselect the bass reduction option that should give you more bass.
    then again i find there is plenty of bass with the option enabled or disabled as with disabled it feels like overkill on the bass lol then again depends on your setup.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 9:26 AM
  14. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Oxygen free copper silver plated can you send link to amazon such cable?

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I didnt buy one, it was a suggestion. I have used silver plated copper inside loudspeakers which has a similar effect.
    I personally have home made pure silver interconnects, using:
    UniCrystal Silver/Cotton 28 AWG OCC Hookup
    From Venhaus https://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html
    Cotton dielectric is as near to open dielectric as you will get.

And silver bullet RCA or silver plated XLR plugs.
    No shield, works a treat for me.
    Its worth trying without a shield first, you can always add one later if you get external pickup.

If you already have a silver or silver plated wire in the system, another one may sound too bright.
    For my headphones with a silver plated wire I have to use a normal copper interconnect to the headphone amp to keep the balance. Silver interconnects as well were too bright.

ps I may not be able to respond soon, a huge wall collapsed on my house, it may be condemned putting me out of action for a while.

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I had an issue with using my Creative G6 as a DAC, using it's Line-Out to external amp. The bass had some slam, but I felt a section of the FR was lacking. I was using a simple OFC copper 28AWG interconnect. I replaced it with a 22AWG OFC interconnect, and this corrected the line-out results. I also reduced the cable length from 3' to 1.5' to better manage cable clutter on my desk.

warlord likes this.
  17. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    there is ready 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?