Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Component wise you want to stick with the ZxR.

ZxR
    [​IMG]
    AE-5
    [​IMG]

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    Can't really tell how something going to perform just by looking at it, I just don't own have an ZXR any more to be able to do an side by side for comparison. I don't even have any reference notes written up either.

Only way to know for sure is to wait for some one who has both to do the comparison with the stock op-amps on the ZXR, since that's what most people will be running afterwards seeing how it compared with the same LME4562 op-amps installed into the ZXR.

Them using Discreet components for the headphone section is an nice touch, different then the normal design that usually used. Including the WIMA Caps which are very good and the voltage regulators hard to see from the picture since I haven't took off my EMI shield yet to take an closer look.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
  4. Ieppo

Ieppo New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock
    Has anyone been able to find an actual review of this card? It seems you can buy it also from europe creative site but it's not available on any another netshop other than by pre-ordering.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    I haven't started working on the review yet, but I'm planning to do it.

6. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
    Now the review is out, I can say it here...I've found the source of my woes...the CTD I've been experiencing in WD2 was Game Mode being on in Windows.

Looks like it was conflicting with the other Game Mode in Audio Console, as I can set all options like Crystalizer, DTS, etc., to on with no crashing.Before I had to set speaker config to Stereo and disable everything for the card...but the minute I set to 5.1, within 5-10 mins, the game would freeze and CTD.Started happening after last Cumulative Update.

Holding off on getting this card for the time being, Win10 Game Mode is the devil and thanks again to GenClaymore for the excellent review.

7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I'm still using an Auzen X-Fi Prelude (with latest Daniel K drivers) that is also nearly 10 years old next month? Curious the differences between it and todays cards since I'm using headphones.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz air
    Depends on the headphones.
    But more detail, better imaging, better stereo effects...
    If the headphones arent poor.

9. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Steelseries Siberia 840?

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz air
    Yeah should be good.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp
    new driver is out

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp
    nothing changed i still can't apply EQ effects via SB Connect 2 app

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    If your using direct mode then you can't use any of the DSP settings. AS the DSP is passthru while Direct/HP Direct is used. If you want to use any of the software settings including EQ, you have to switch to the normal Stereo/Headphone settings. Since that what direct does, it goes right to the dac and ignore every thing else.

kx11 likes this.
  14. R41DZ3R0

R41DZ3R0 Member

GPU:
    797o xfire
    i still prefer studio monitors over headphones

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp
    thank you that solved it !!

Headphones 7.1 that is

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    I use both studio monitors and headphones, Card worked very good with my JBL LSR 305s which I had plugged into my jotunheim. Since I use the AE-5 as an source, instead of the dac module in the jotunhheim. I find my self switching between my JBL LSR 305, Audio technica R70X and ATH-AVC400.

Also if you want 2.0 in that mode, you will have to switch the windows sound panel manual to 2.0. Since they took the suggestion of the hp gain save toggle, maybe they will take my suggestion of changing the speaker count in the AE-5 Control panel.

17. michael_d

michael_d Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080Ti
  18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
    More than likely the card would be better as it'll process independently of the mobo, potentially freeing up cpu cycles and mobo resources.

19. Richard8899

Richard8899 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980ti
    I only have my onboard sound card but recently got Astros a40 headset with the mixamp. I am looking at hearing the best sound in games like shooters and stuff. I'm not the best of soundcards. But I'm looking at the sound blasterx ae-5 or sound blaster z.

Which would suit the a40s and hearing foot steps and stuff better.

Would the a40s with the sound blasterx ae-5 need the mixamp that came with the a40s for surround sound. Not sure if the amp with the sound card or the one with the Astros would be better.

Sorry in advance for my questions if they're silly.

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    The sound blaster AE-5 has really good emulated surround, I mentioned it in the review I did in another thread in the same section. I have not used the A40s or the mixamp it self, if the A40s are analog based then you wont need to use the Mixamp at all. I have owned the sound blaster Z in the past so it does work well, but I found that the SBZ had punchy bass that might get in the way of you listening for foot steps, depending on the sound signature of the A40s or the headphones in general

You won't need the Mixamp at all with the AE-5 as the headphone amp on the AE-5 is stronger then the mix amp. Also the mixamp uses dolby headphone for it surround functionally,I have not use the mix amp and it's Version of DH but I found DH in general on the different sound cards that had it to not work that well due to the amount of echo that it adds to the sound, which you can always tell that it's there, which ruins the immersion factor. Gave off an feeling that I was playing games in an bathroom with sounds echoing in the game.

The SBX on the SBZ worked well and did an good job, but with the AE-5 using VR 7.1 along side SBX, my gaming experience was much better then it was on the SBZ/ZXR with just the SBX and this was with both set to 67%. As on the AE-5 I was much more immersed in the game and the positional and image while using the two together was an great experience. Neither of the sound cards have that echo type of sound that dolby headphone had.