1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    Yea same, now a day's I find my self using the Stereo direct as well. I sure they are working on driver updates but at an slower pace. I doubt they would outright stop, but slow down instead.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    They sure kicked the users in the arse with ZxR updates extremely soon, so I wouldn't hold my breath... But like I said, in my case, it seems to work fine, but I have an OCD about stuff being updated on regular basis :D

3. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    Apparently Alchemy works with this card, but where do I download it. I can't find anything to with alchemy in the control panel.

NVM: Found it, it was enough to simply search for alchemy, it was already installed.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    The only problem that I have with the current drivers is the regression that causes speaker config to reset to 5.1 after each restart when not using direct mode.

5. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    sometimes I get no sound from the digital output and have to shut down my pc, anybody else?

6. HalongPort

HalongPort New Member

GPU:
    R390
    Hello guys, I'm considering to upgrade my TitaniumHD.

I've read that some users reported, that this card shows up as either 2.0 or 5.1 sound device in windows settings.
    Is there no option for 7.1 device, even if the virtual headphone 7.1 mode is activated?

If so, how are 7.1 audio soruces processed?
    Taking the 5.1 info only (because of the windows 5.1 device setting) and upmixing it to 7.1?

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It's virtual 5.1.

8. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Interesting. But what can you do with two sound cards? Unless you have separate sources.

9. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Yeah keep it. I sold my old SBZ for 30$ when I've bought it 90$, I regret it to be honest, that was 1/3 of price.

That's great of Creative that you can have multiple hardware with same software even with different sound-cards like you. I have keyboard, mouse and sound-card altogether in SB Connect. It's flawless.

10. HalongPort

HalongPort New Member

GPU:
    R390
    Thanks for the replies.
    I won't get the AE-5 then, I'd like to have a 7.1 card.
    The G6 is pre-oder only in my country.
    Does it have a lineout, which outputs the correct binaural stereo signal? I've got a O2 amp for my headphones.

I use my TitaniumHD as stereo + Voicemeeter 7.1 + Hesuvi for SBX/GSX or whatever I feel like to use right now.
    Unfortunately, Voicemeeter has some bugs (sometimes static sounds on startup) and adds latency.

11. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Banana as well?

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    G6 is the same as AE-5 when it comes to virtual audio processing. Then there's the options to use Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos... New games have better support for that.

By the way, in RMAA my O2 does way worse than the headphone out on AE-5.

The amp on AE-5 is more powerful though and can possibly be a better match for >=300 ohm headphones (or really hard to drive ones).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    warlord likes this.
  13. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 1080
    Anyone getting serious stability problem with this card on Windows 10 1809? I had no problems before and now the drivers for it are crashing a lot or simply not initializing when I boot up or come out of sleep.. I have tried a clean install and have no idea what to do. i was hoping creative would have an update for it but it looks like they hate updating their drivers with a passion.

warlord likes this.
  14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Measurements done by https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro do not aggree with that. According to those measurements AE-5 gives more power.

warlord likes this.
  15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    It makes sense. Only X7 can provide more power as it is a freaking huge piece of hardware with double price (limited edition one). AE-5 is connected to pci-e, so it is easier to achieve better power output than a simple portable version of it in G6 with a mere usb connection.

16. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    It works great I do not think there is any need for update at the moment. I have even 3 devices working smoothly in Windows 19H1 with SB connect no instabilities at all, pure joy only here.
    [​IMG]
    Reinstall or uninstall and clean install everything, it is a bug in your end or a bad implementation of fast booting/restoring on your rig. Just shutdown or restart properly no half-baked solutions.

17. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    If you have not proper headphones for each individual setting you cannot compare apples to bananas. Surely, it is cleaner at max volume due to more snr/dnr but talking headphones utilization wise, AE-5 is stronger db to db. You have 3 settings vs 2 settings for gain.

If you do not choose proper headphones for each one of them, it is not the soundcard to blame. Period. The closer to the specs the headphones are, the better output AE-5 is gonna have. G6 is easier to drive due to more freedom ohm's wise and more db compensate for it.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I haven't used it. That being said, I do trust measurements like those over "by ear" measurements (placebo is way too strong). You need to measure it yourself and show the pure facts if you want to convince me that G6 gives more power (in real life that probably doesn't matter though, AE-5 gives too much power even on low gain). Also judging by the other more quality centric measuring aspects it doesn't seem quite straight forward to claim which one is the best (when driving headphones).

warlord likes this.
  19. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Isn't it wonderful when people can discuss things in a tactful rashional calm manner.

warlord likes this.
  20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    The G6 doesn't have analog connectors does it?

warlord likes this.