1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. monkaS

monkaS New Member

GPU:
    Voodoo
    hello, does anyone else notice that the explosions are kinda punchy? idk how else i can describe this
    but in overwatch, pharaah sounds like i shoot C4's not rockets.. rest seems fine, music is fine i use 24bit 48kHz no eq/acoustic engine direct headphones using sennheiser game one at normal gain 32-149ohm.
    with my soundblaster z i didn't had this problem, but AE-5 sounds better, also could this be the xamp?

ps. i also uninstalled creative alchemy,host openal but did nothing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. toasty

toasty Active Member

GPU:
    980Ti G1 /w ACX III
    The amps fairly meaty yes, I could easily push my cans into audible distortion with low frequency sub bass when driven by my mobo before adding the ae-5; which clearly has much more headroom.

Edit to add: The mic input is pretty crap though, less gain yet more noise than my onboard one.

3. Chaos3X

Chaos3X New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    Exactly! Explosions are like missing sound on me. It's like the whole experience is very nice but on explosions are very low and poor that ruins the whole experience. And, voices that are from the background or from self phone or monitor, are very low too.
    My setup is 5.1 with creative's engine on and 96K/32B. Tried on 48K/24B also but was worst on games.

P.S: During watch of streaming movies problem is bigger...

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Do you think it is like the centre channel is muted or too low in volume?
    ie the 5.1 to headphone surround stereo mixer is cocking up.
    (a suggestion, I dont have an AE5)

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    @Chaos3X
    I haven't had issues with missing sounds with neither of stereo direct or Headphone(7.1) /w surround 67%. I did also tried 5.1 output mode an while ago back when I had an pair of 5.1 headset's laying around, and even then I didn't have issues with missing sounds.

so that's an strange issue,which seems like either windows is messing with something,volume of your center or bass is set low for some odd reason.
    Are you using the cross over freq settings in the AE-5 control panel to send the bass freq to your sub if your using large/Small speaker size setting? Did you make sure you have the center/sub plug in all the way , as if you don't you can has issues with the volume level of the audio. Just to make sure do you have the center/sub plug into the right output on the rear of the AE-5, since the labeling icon is hard to see, since that can also cause your issue to happen. As I have done it before.

@monkaS
    The bass problem is coming from your sennheiser game one's, based on looking at other owners who own them and also running them thru either an headphone amp, they are also getting the same punchy bass. So it seems like it's the type of sound the headphone's them self provides. I only have one headphones out of my 3( if you include Iner Ear Monitors) which also have punchy bass, and that is my JVC HARX 330's which are known to have very punchy bass. I have two other headphone's which have totally different sound signatures which means neither of them have punchy bass with the AE-5.

One option you have is to lowering the bass with the EQ settings and bass bar, It won't be perfect, The other option is to switch to an different pair of headphone's which doesn't have punchy bass.

6. CzesioSiano

CzesioSiano New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    @GenClaymore
    Hello, I am new to entry level in proffesional audio topic and I am willing to make huge step up (if it's possible) from worse, in terms of quality, PC audio speakers experience.

I read a lot of posts in this topic and from what I know you have JBL LSR 305 and SBX AE5 and it will be nice to have your advice. Don't get me wrong I'll listen what everyone have to say but I prefer answers from people who have or had experience with monitors / sound card / audio interface which I will mention below.

I did a lot of research and found out that these monitors and sound card / audio interfaces are my best bets in terms of sound quality and price range.

I am willing to buy one of this monitors set, sound card or audio interface - it all depends what I can get from it and what I need (not yet decided, need your help!)

- 2x JBL LSR 305 + JBL LSR 310s
    - 2x JBL LSR 308 + JBL LSR 310s (in near future)
    - 2x Yamaha HS8 + JBL LSR 310s or other matching sub (lil further future)

+ Sound BlasterX AE-5
    + Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    + Steinberg UR22 MK2

I want to get everything right and hear (if it's possible with one of this setups) 100% of quality from monitors which I will get. My objective is listening to music, gaming and watching movies. Can't really tell which is more important to me, everything is because I do a lot of each. I won't be editing music, recording streams, using electric guitar etc.

Nice quality on mic is welcome, because I don't like my garbage voice recorded via onboard realtek 1150. I am using HyperX Cloud headphones and mic and I know its mic isn't best but if it's possible to get better recorded voice from it (thanks to new sound card) then it'll be nice. Not planing to buy new headphones or mic for now, but if I'll earn some $ then I'll think about it so I want to be future proof (propably best way to get best quality of mic is getting seperate mic and headphones, tell me if I'm wrong). Nice quality of mic without noises is enough to me.

Most important to me is sound. Choosing sound card and monitors and get most of quality from them thanks to chosed sound card that is. In future I want to be able to build 5.1 with mentioned monitors so watching movies will be more enjoyable. I want to do it without buying additional DAC's if it's possible (at least on PC with my TV). I play mostly on my headphones but propably it will change if I get this stuff (propably headphones will be used mostly in multiplayer games I guess, so positioning is important). For now I am planning to watch movies on my TV connected to PC. In far future maybe it will change so then I'll think about audio interface for 5.1 sound system.

From what I've read so far I have such conclusion. Best way to achieve my goal is getting AE5 + set of monitors (which I'll be able to listen to in next week) because this sound card will allow me to build 5.1 system without buying additional stuff (just monitors obviously). But my brain won't let me sleep calmly if I won't get answers to my set of questions.

1. Is connecting such monitors via 3,5 jack wont affect sound quality and won't be making any noise, because AE5 allows only 5.1 via analog connection?
    1.1. Using adapters / cables from 3,5 jack to XLR or 6,3 jack is good idea and it will allow me to get better quality of sound than using just 3,5 jack?
    1.2. (Should I) Can I use optical at the beginning with 2.0 or 2.1 (most importantly 2.1! because I mainly opt for JBL LSR 305 + 310s at start) to get better quality than using just 3,5 jack? For that I'll need optical - XLR cable?
    1.3. How to connect monitors in best possible way to this card? Include 2.0 / 2.1 and 5.1 in your answer.
    1.4. To get best headphone experience (stereo and 7.1) on this card I'll need to use optical adapter for my headphones or just connect them via 3,5 jack?

2. Which sound card / audio interface will give me better sound quality on a. speakers and b. headphones if we compare them to each other?
    2.1. Is there any better sound card / audio interface in this price range? (we can exclude modi + magni because it's not avalaible in my country)
    2.2. Is it possible to connect mic of my HyperX Cloud headphones to Focusrite or Steinberg or should I get new mic for them?

3. Which headphones will you suggest to buy in future for AE5? Now I have choosed AKG K612 pro, K702, Sennheiser HD 598 or ATH-PDG1 - their price is my price range. Don't want to buy anything more expensive than this.
    3.1. What high quality mic will you suggest me to buy if I change headphones? It'll be best if it won't get in my way in front of me, it'll be nice to hook / attach it somewhere on me.

Sorry for extra long post but I was wandering for too long looking for answers to my questions.

Please answer me in detail, numbers next to my questions don't sit there to make them fancy! It's better to sort things out!

My budget is just how it looks monitors + audio interface / sound card. The less the better I can pay extra but if it's really worth. In my country it looks some like that 2x100€ (LSR305) + 1x352€ (LSR310s) + 1x132€ (AE5) = 684€

Thanks in advice for your time.

tl;dr - hope is the first step on the road of dissapointment.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Sound doesnt seem to be most important to you though.
    You have listed only a few hardware parts, why only those to the exclusion of others?

8. CzesioSiano

CzesioSiano New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Well it is but I want to achieve other things which I mentioned too. Don't get me wrong my budget for now is limited too.

Which parts you talk about?

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    All of those listed. There must be a reason why so specific.

10. CzesioSiano

CzesioSiano New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Maybe I don't get it, explain it to me if I won't answer you.

I did a lot of research, read countless forums about it and in the end I found these parts are best bets to me in terms of music quality and price range. Anyway, can you answer to my questions to help me make up my mind? I really don't want to spam so everyone can see my post and help me by answering questions.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Pushing specific hardware with a first post on a site needs questioning.
    If not for any purpose than to make others aware of a possible agenda.

12. CzesioSiano

CzesioSiano New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Sure thing. Did I answered you? I already updated first post so everyone will know why I choosed this monitors and sound cards. I am not closed for alternatives, so if you want you can still suggest something then I'll consider if it's worth for me or not.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    ok cool.
    I'm not able to help with this beyond getting information from you that would be useful for others to answer quicker.
    A budget would help.

14. CzesioSiano

CzesioSiano New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Added.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    The JBL LSR 305's will work perfectly fine with the AE-5 directly with an dual XLR to 3.5mm cable, in fact when I first bought the 305's years ago, that the exact type of cable that I used. I didn't have any noise issue then. I haven't used the JBL sub that you mentioned, since I find the JBL 305's bass to be very good.

While the 305's can be setup to be used in an 5.1 config and I have seen plenty of people using them in that setup on different forums, you will have to do alot of work to make it doable on your end. You are going to need a smart surge protector strips, which are strips that comes with an remote to turn off the different plugs on the strip. They do also have single smart plug adapters. If you want to use your existing strip that supports smartphones by Bluetooth.

For volume control you can simply use the AE-5 volume controls in the software suite, the main problem is the controls for the volume is shared with all the other output modes. So you may want to get either an volume control cable,an cheap Sound blaster ZX's volume box not the sound card, as there are some sellers who just sell the headphone volume box on ebay and use that with the AE-5, which some one actually does in this thread with there headphones.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Steinberg UR22 MK2 are meant for users who are doing broadcasting, music/vocal recording or using Midi devices, phantom mic's etc. Who need those special connections for there gear. They are not ideal for those who are not doing any of those functions. As it would be an waste for using them for outside of there main usage. Plus neither has what you need which is 5.1 output's.

Headphone's wise you will have to tell me the type of sound that you are looking for, because different person have an different type of sound that they prefer.What one person prefer for an sound signature, you might not enjoy. If you don't know the type of sound that you want, one option you could do if you know any places around you, that will allow you to try out different headphones. That way you find one that sound good to you.

16. sneipen

sneipen Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2ghz
    iv looked at this soundcard for some time now. I used a soundblaster extreme music before i upgraded my hardware. Cant use it now because its pci slot, sopmething i dont have anymore..
    My experience with extreme music was positive, i used it for a very long time. If i had pci on my motherboard i would still use it..
    How does the ae compare to x-fi extreme music? I read some think the x-fi was better..
    I use AKG headphones, plus iv connected my home cinema system. But atm i use gpu for that. Used analog for a while.. I think my old x-fi game much better sound than my msi carbon pro does. Thats why im considering getting a dedicated soundcard again..
    Also wondering how it does in fake surround, on board soundcard dosent do a good job. X-fi did a ok job in some games..
    Is there something new around the corner that will replace the ae-5, or beter alternativs allready on marked?

Tnx for your time.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    AE-5 is superior to any X-fi card out there.

Mufflore likes this.
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    My Ceative SB Xfi Titanium completely died on me so i had to buy another AE-5. I see the drivers and the software have improve a lot , absolutely great soundcard and loving it :)

Mufflore and eGGroLLiO like this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Was it a storm casualty? Its nice to see you settled after Hurricane Maria.
    Great choice for a replacement.

chispy likes this.
  20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    Not a hurricane Maria casualty thankfully. It started making weird noises then 5.1 speaker set up stopped working and one morning it just stopped working completely. That card was very very old. ( Thank you for the positive comments as we have finally settled and moved on after the Hurricane Cat 5 Maria destroyed the whole island here in Puerto Rico , we have recover 100% and are stronger than ever ).

Mufflore likes this.