Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Yea and their quality is not only better than onboard but so are their specs. From not only the reviews which all are impressed by the sound quality but us owners as well. Their cards are not “crummy” and never have been. Their software on the other hand hasn’t always been the best. But what a troll post. The card has already been out for a while now, the majority of people posting in here already own one or will be getting one. This is not the thread for onboard discussion or pointless troll posts that just completely derails the thread for absolutely no damn reason.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Yeah, if only I could find that link of the human hearing cannot hear any better than 44.1kHz and 16bit.

3. LukeX

LukeX New Member

GPU:
    A good one
    Hi, are you saying that the AE-5's bass/audio signature changes after a month of use please? I have been testing it a 2nd day and no matter what I do, the bass is not to my liking. It is not sharp, deep enough. It's mushy, smooth (sorry if I don't use the pro words). The SB Z alone (or with my A30 Topping amp) does a much better job; I use it in Stereo Direct using Front L+R line out with the amp or HP amp out if not. On the AE-5 I have tried HP Direct, HP with EQ, Bass settings, profiles, jumped up few times and stood on my head, nothing can recreate my sound from Z/Z+amp. Lost as not sure to return it or not. Help.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    And the newer model of this ae5, what's up with that? Anyone have it or it isn't released yet?

Does this ae5 have the same audio creation mode like xfi, asio etc?

Im at xfi titanium hd and its a great card, if there is no audio creation mode then its a bit useless for me.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    You can oversample with seriously good algorithms with HQplayer to 384KHz or DSD512.
    This is not the same as software that does basic frequency multiplication, there is nothing that compares other than really high end DACs.
    It makes a real difference if your sound hardware is even moderately good.
    And its free to try.
    https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

For example it takes 48KHz CDs and converts them to 384KHz or DSD512 if your DAC supports it (and higher if you have enough CPU/gfx card horsepower!)
    I dont play music without it now, its extremely good with a high end DAC.

btw there is plenty of 192KHz music.
    Dont confuse this with 192Kbit, not the same thing. Not even close. WAY higher bitrate.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    AsiJu likes this.
  6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +130/+430
    Yes It does indeed improve, that what I found it did when I used it, I don't recall what it sounded out of the box exactly, since I owned the AE-5 since it came out. But I do know it improved more so since I enjoy it a lot more then I did when I first had it. The sound blaster Z it self is punchy in general with it's bass, so it will add it's bass to the over all sound signature of what ever pair of speakers or headphones you are using directly with the SBZ. Which was the one things I didn't like about the sound blaster Z. The AE-5 it self won't do that, if your using an pair of headphones that are bass light, they are going to be bass light on the AE-5, if your using an pair of bass heavy headphones on the AE-5 there going to be bass heavy and so on.

Also what headphones are you're using, I asked because you may not have the headphone gain set towards the rating of your headphones, and if you don't that can effect the way results of the over all sound from the headphones. Also I haven't heard the A30 Topping my self, I am using the Sound blaster AE-5 as an source into my Schiit jotunheim and the two work great together. So I don't know how the A30 topping sound. Also did you try using the A30 Topping together with the AE-5?

If you want to config the EQ or the Ascoustic engine settings of the AE-5, then you have to use either Stereo, 5.1 or Headphones, if you use either of the Direct Stereo or Direct Headphone's then those settings will be by passed and ignored. Since the DSP chip on the card is disabled when one of the two Direct output settings are used, which means the AE-5 will be functioning as an purely dac with no access to the software suite til you move back to the DSP chip.

It's going to depend on the pair of headphones you are using, as I have used my JVC HARX 330's headphones directly into the AE-5 it self, and the headphone's warm and punchy sound signature came thru. If your using an pair of bass light or bass neutral headphone's then your going to hear exact bass that those two headphones produces. Just like when I used my ATh-R70X directly with the AE-5, I heard It's hard hitting bass. I used my Nuforce HEM2 Iner ear Montior's with the AE-5 as well, the HEM2's neutral and transparent sound came thru with its accurate bass.

AE-5 simply won't add something that isn't there, unlike the SBZ's will do with it's punchy bass, which why you perfer the bass of the SBZ over the AE-5.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    The white "Pure Edition" is just a white cover and more RGB lights.

Same card as the black version, same specs. Just a higher price on more light gimmicks.

There aint no audio creation mode.

-Tj- likes this.
  8. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Either way your getting a EQed sound or enhanced sound which audiophiles don't like if running a DAW and what not.

9. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    I have the Pure Edition and yup it’s just white and includes more light strips. The price of the card is actually the exact amount it would be if you purchased the additional light strip pack separately. I wanted a little color to my case with this build so that’s the only reason I got this version, plus it was on sale for $20 off the msrp. The fact it uses a molex connector is a bit old school considering how little optimization there is to the lights compared to something like the Corsair rgb strips, then again it doesn’t require a million wires either

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Thats not true.

11. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Creative does not sell Reference Monitors or professional external audio interface for studio. Creative has great sound card but its not a sound card for professional recording even though it has ASIO. The sound on the creative sound cards and speakers are tweaked to make it sound really nice. Like the highs are higher the mids are enhanced and the bass is powerful and enhanced. You need flat response when pro recording and the way you get that is buying Studio Monitors and not speakers from creative or any other company. These monitors are connected to external audio interface which can sit in your racks. thx

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Isn't EMU Creative's Pro side?

13. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Long time ago they sold gear, but no body uses EMU now. They use 1500 dollar audio interface with 18 XLR inputs and what not. To connect mics and instruments. That is just a example.

14. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    My question is who gives a **** about that in this ae-5 discussion? Anyone looking to do anything remotely close to what you're talking about is not going to be in this thread.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    That isnt what you said though...

16. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Sorry.

17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Who sold reference sound cards in the past? Did they exist or even today? and if not what are the reference external devices for PC audio these days... and how would that fare with positional audio?

18. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    No such thing as a reference sound card. Since no such thing, of course it doesn't exist. No such thing as reference devices. When did I say these things.

19. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I have been producing music for over 20 years. You need to relax a bit my friend, I think I know more then you about this. Reference Monitors is what I said. Go read the thread again. I never said reference devices lol your funny..

20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    What? I'm asking a question. I wish people would stop taking things so personally defensive.

How is there no such thing as reference devices... Most consumer devices are not but reference speakers, headphones, displays etc can be costly.