Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Xofah

Xofah Member

GPU:
    1080 ti
    Another thing to add..

When/why use Direct HP?

I'm primarily using headphones (DT 990 Pro) and most of my time goes with gaming(80%), music(15%) and videos(5%). Would I benefit more from using DirectHP? But if I go that route I cannot use the surround settings all the other things that comes along with the card?

I must admit I'm being very confused on what setup/settings would be the best in my case? If Direct HP is so much better then why in the name of God is there the other options as well? :(

Thanks in advance though!

2. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    To use direct modes you need top notch headphones and speakers up to 2.1 channels. Not mere consumer ones for most people.

Also you need insane quality audio playback. You will notice the difference only with High Resolution Audio. If you don't know what it is then you do not need direct modes. We are talking megabytes or even gigabyte size for each song for example.

3. Xofah

Xofah Member

GPU:
    1080 ti
    Doesn't my DT 990 Pro go under that category of top notch headphones? :O

And yeah.. " High Resolution Audio" .. no idea what that even means lol

4. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    If you do not feel or hear the difference from switching direct mode on and off then you are playing low quality audio files/videos/games etc. It is all about the signals.

Well, your headphones aren't eligible to be considered as top notch but as upper medium to high class, to understand, studio quality ones start at more than 800-900$+, top notch headphones start at about 500$-700$+ and simply high quality ones start at about 200-350$+

5. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    I am also confused and I guess thats the reason I try to keep everything minimal in settings.

After every driver installation I delete all the profiles and I keep only Personal.
    I disable Equalizer and BlasterX acoustic engine.
    I use Direct mode and Bookshelf.

I have a pair of JBL's LSR 305 speakers connected to my AE-5.
    The use is 85% gaming and 15% low quality audio files.

6. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™

I've seen this debate covered a lot of times.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    That goes without saying, I'm not sure why you wanted to post about it though.
    Different takes on the topic in relation to equipment they are used with can be useful.
    I dont use headphones but I enjoy reading the associated comments.

ps this isnt meant to be a harsh comment but I am wondering why you said that.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    eGGroLLiO likes this.
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    If you use direct mode then the speaker setting doesn't do anything.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Make: User.cfg in any Frostbite game folder e.g. BF1 or 4 or SW BF I or II with:

GstAudio.AudioQuality 3 (3 is Medium speakers up to 50cm [my setup] or 4 is Large speakers e.g. 60-120cm one ;) )
    GstAudio.SoundSystemSize 51 (or 71 for 7.1 setup)
    GstAudio.StereoMode 0 (better for any option)
    GstAudio.YourSoundSystem 3 (Surround 5.1)
    GstAudio.IsATMOSOptionEnabled 1 (better surround sound 3D/4D w/perfect pinpoint ability, Yes ATMOS for headphones working like a charm)
    GstAudio.IsAtmos 1

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    ...because so many have tested them with diminishing returns.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Sadly not a useful discussion.
    You held up well earlier.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  12. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Go to your cave idiot please. Not everyone has the same equipment/gear or ears/detailed hearing. Neither we have the same abilities or education. Learn to accept and understand multiple opinions, I respect what others said here but I don't give a frack in the end about their results by the moment I can have mine.

13. Xofah

Xofah Member

GPU:
    1080 ti
    Been spending most of this morning trying to figure out what setup I like.. and I must admit that using Direct HP only seems to be far superior? In my video clip, using the Direct HP it sounds freaking awesome and I can go 100% volume without hearing any cracking noises and even so while listening to my favorite music on youtube? That's a thing I cannot do when I enable the 7.1 and all its settings. The only profile that would enable having 100% volume would be using the neutral profile, however, that doesn't sound any good when playing games..?

It just kills me a bit inside not being able to use 7.1 surround but I guess that Direct HP is superior/best which makes me mad .. or not mad just confused as hell why there aren't any good explanation to common user such as myself that aren't no audio tech god

warlord likes this.
  14. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    You must choose...quality and clarity in even maximum volume VS detailed effects and surround in anything, that is my simple results with my headphones, as I cannot accept direct audio for speakers though I lose 8 of them, it is a poor choice, especially losing 2 subs due to crossover setting :p

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  15. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    That hit a nerve.

You make it sound like I'm jumping up and down having a tantrum trying to shut you down. Yet you call me an idiot.

All I'm saying is I've read a lot of peoples findings spending crazy thousands on headphone gear and listening to a fair number on youtube over time with their experiences.

16. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's the kind of reaction you are supposed to vomit out when someone doesn't even attack you, and calmly expresses his opinion.
    Have you forgotten your pill in the morning or what?

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Direct mode bypasses the DSP and outputs at DACs maximum 32-bit / 192 kHz.

All non-direct modes go via DSP and as such are limited by DSP at 32-bit / 96 kHz.

However I doubt that would explain the difference in a video file (that uses compressed audio no matter how HQ).

I'm fairly sure it's you using virtual surround with a video file with stereo audio?
    Or did you record / capture multichannel audio?

That would easily explain the loss of audio clarity and "strength".
    You can easily test this: use non-direct HP (stereo) mode without surround enabled and playback the file again.

Or do you have a 7.1 speaker system hooked to AE-5 as well?

The problem with virtual surround is that it's virtual, artificially remixing stereo audio to give a pseudo surround effect.
    Proper upmixing is a different story but sadly SB cards since X-fi don't do stereo upmix anymore (only virtual stereo "expand").

Xofah likes this.
  18. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    @Xofah 100% volume? What headphones? I'm down to 14 to 18% with DirectHP/Neutral. 24% it starts to hurt.

19. Xofah

Xofah Member

GPU:
    1080 ti
    I tried to reinstall the drivers again and now im setting at around 40% volume. Anything above and my ears starts to bleed lol.
    Headphones are Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.

I think I have found a good sweet spot for all around use as of now which is:

7.1 --> 67/30/10/off/off

20. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    The specs are useless, you will never use it. What you plan on doing with 384Khz ? All mp3's are 16 bit 320kbps which is like 48000Khz. You will never get content that goes above 48000Khz. Are you a music producer ? Even then the 384Khz will not be in effect. All pro producers use 24bit 96000khz and rarely you will see anything higher then that or have content higher then that. Creative is throwing up stats to sell their crummy cards. I don't care about 122db because what is important is quality not numbers.