Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Thats got to be the best way to run a pc, kudos.

maikai likes this.
  2. weilikler

weilikler New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Hi... created an account just to reply to you. i came from X-Fi Titanium to SBX AE-5. not sure if you already bought the card, but here are my views.
    if you buy it for audio, it is way better than the X-Fi Titanium, an upgrade.

if you buy it for gaming, i'm not sure why but it's a downgrade for me. so much gimmick for Smart Volume(audio normalization), night medium high loud bullshit, whereas the X-Fi Titanium only has a SVM on or off button.
    i cant hear footsteps as well in Rainbow 6 Siege, and also in PUBG. sometimes when i'm playing with friends, they can hear people close to me, and i dont hear anything. sometimes the in-game sound feels muted for like 0.5-1second, when my friends speak. (discord)

I've checked all settings and it is definitely not my settings, it's the card. i swapped back to my X-Fi and the gaming experience is an upgrade from AE-5.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ Hmm im waiting with upg. to some ATMOS SB ;) with proper 7.1.4 Output
    This SB AE-5 is not for me :p

Yes X-fi is a great card.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    @weilikler

Or just don't use Smart Volume when gaming.

AE-5 has Scout Mode for pinpointing directional audio, however I've found without any gimmicks the directional audio is very good readily (with surround speakers).

Notably better than X-Fi's was, actually. Imo.

Last edited: May 21, 2018

5. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    thanks to reply... yeah i really want for gaming and using on 5.1 analog system (edifier x750), really surprised by this downgrade... so i will wait more time with my x-fi titanium

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Smart Volume is something you use when watching movies and stuff like that. It doesn't work that well at all in games or when listening music. Scout Mode is the gaming gimmick that may or may not make you hear things easier... not Smart Volume.

AsiJu likes this.
  7. weilikler

weilikler New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    thanks everyone for your opinion, yeah scout mode is another gimmick that i dont use.
    i play games with smart volume ON on my X-Fi Titanium, and i enjoy it. i can hear ambient sounds loud enough, and not to be deafen when i fire my own gun.

@squalles
    for songs, my AudioEngine A5+ sounds significantly better on the SBX AE-5, but i cant comment on 5.1 system as i dont have one.
    you can consider it if you dont play games with SVM on like me, i guess

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Smart Volume is daft to use on any card. All it does is squashes the dynamic range.

OnnA, AsiJu and Mufflore like this.
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Also it makes radical difference at which % you set it to. It has its uses but gaming is not it. Might work better if you turn it really down and then up the volume a bit.

OnnA likes this.
  10. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    i never used svm, but i hear people saying AE5 are not so good on 5.1 systems

11. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Cheap rubbish users maybe. For my 2k euros speakers sound system it sounds almost godly.

Multiple times better detailed surround than realtek, xfi xtreme music and Soundblaster z.

maikai and AsiJu like this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    AE5 is very good for a 5.1 system if you ask me. Why should it be any worse than previous cards?
    AE5 is a better quality card than any previous Soundblaster.

Like said above directional audio works very well.
    Ofc if you turn on all the gimmicks then it could very well become bad... ie. don't use virtual surround if you have a real surround setup.

I use only EQ and nothing else, same for gaming, movies, music. Connect via analog to amp fwiw.

OnnA and warlord like this.
  13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Exactly as @AsiJu said AE5 could not be worse than any previous sound card. And use analog signal connectors.

To enrich this info, if amp receiver or speakers are analog multichannel input capable, surround should be perfect to be honest as perfect PC sound output can be.

Sound in movies and music is almost as original contect creator wanted. Especially in gaming creative is more enjoyable than ever before. I hear sounds never heard from the most unpredictable spots like real-life tbh.

maikai and OnnA like this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Smart Volume = OFF or like me Normal w/15% (good values are: 5/12/15/18 because we don't need to much distortions ;) )
    Hi-Fi 5.1 or Sencheisers with NP in Gaming/Music or Movies :D

Try, and hear.
    Also is good to have all Windows settings adjusted acordingly as well.
    24Bit 96Khz for 5.1 or 192Khz for Headphones w/Atmos

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    AE-5 is ideal for stereo and headphone use because the Sabre DAC handles the front channels.

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™

I'm currently using Direct HP/Stereo/Neutral with everything else off on the AKG K702. Directional sound is fantastic.

As I posted on another forum about it coming from the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.

OnnA likes this.
  17. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Xifi titanium, not even the HD version, being compared to ae5? What just happened to this thread...

warlord likes this.
  18. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Well there are people liking previous sound blasters more, even selling the AE-5. We do not have the same speakers, headphones and more precisely ears. It is their problem if they like degrading their audio. Software/drivers are still coming and kicking, good luck to retro noobs or almost deaf peasants.

I am so happy. Pumping volume to outrageous levels and my home becomes either a cinema or a club in seconds. Without a quality or joy loss. I am impressed and already making money to upgrade to the next model if it comes or even buying even more expensive equipment. Technology advances!

maikai likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I really liked the X-Fi when I had it. Also really liked the SBZ.

AE-5 though was something else and I was very impressed with how much difference it made even versus previous, dedicated good sound cards.
    And I'm definitely not an audiophile but do pay attention to sound quality.

The more HQ your amp/speakers/headphones are the clearer the difference.
    I'm using Logitech Z-906 as amp/sub but have replaced the satellite speakers with better quality / larger range ones (ie. "proper" speakers).
    People using a high-end HiFi amp will likely perceive even more difference than me.

Ofc sound (quality) perception is very subjective. Some may like a bass-heavy output even if clarity is worse or vice versa etc.

I'm a bit of a bass-junkie too but only if sound is clear in the first place. Muddy or muffled sound is very irritating to me (constantly feel like I'd need to clean my ears, lols).

That's what I mainly use the EQ for, boost bass and also give a slight boost to treble.

OnnA, maikai and warlord like this.
  20. Xofah

Xofah Member

GPU:
    1080 ti
    Tell me.. are there some hidden settings we are not being able to adjust?

I recorded a Battlefield 1 video

When I watch it and change between the different sound profiles in Sound Blaster Connect I have noticed that when selecting the Gaming - BlasterX Pro-Gaming profile it sounds very good like it should. If I make a new profile with the same settings in surround, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart Volume and Dialog+ it DOESN'T SOUND EXACT?!

In my video clip there i airplane being shot down close to me. On the Gaming profile you can easily hear the blast and shockwave which sounds awesome indeed, however, when selecting my newly made profile (with the same settings as gaming profile!) it sounds different. You can clearly hear the difference. The shockwave sounds "dull", like it's missing some added power to it? It's hard to describe, but the difference is really big when changing between those 2 profiles.

Why is this an issues? Because I would like to have 1 main profile for everything.. music, gaming and video. One where everything fits perfectly together so I don't have to go ind a change profile every time I want to listen to some music, game and watch a movie etc.

Anyone else having familiar issues? :/