Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Thing is this is my second card with this same issue, I suppose it could be bad luck. I do however have a third card I will try today, what are the odds of having 3 bad cards? Currently installing this current card in another pc to see if It has the same issues.

Update: Ok so card had exact same issues in other pc. I got out 3rd card, installed it in other pc. ITS ALIVE!!! It is working exactly as intended as far as the lighting goes. So now to go put 3rd card in to my pc and see if it still works, I sure hope my pc isn’t frying these cards (but Only the light function somehow as the sound and detection works perfectly). I’ve got a 100w psu so the lack of power isn’t an issue and it’s brand new molex plug too. Here goes nothing

Update2: Alright, ***k me sideways and call me Sally, it appears it is my PSU destroying these. Tried a different cable same issue in my pc, even tried different modular power slot and still had issues. Now to replace the PSU....

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    OK dudes I need some help. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the audio output coming out of my AE-5 sounds muted at times. Right now I'm listening to a track and it sounds great, the volume is right where I want it to be. However, if I shutdown and boot back up, the volume will sound muted and completely different.

I think it has to do with the settings not being saved, specifically the DIALOG + setting. I don't have the SoundBlaster Connect 2 app running on start up, so does that mean that the settings will not be saved? When the dialog+ setting is turned on, the audio output is muted.

3. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    well i think about change my x-fi titanium, its giving distortions and few sounds don´t out... i thinking about change to sound blaster ae 5, anyone make this change? is really a great difference in quality? and ae 5 have your own dedicated sound processor to make sounds by hardware mode or my processor will make all the job?

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It's way better. For years now games (and everything) have been 100% software processing (performance wise it's irrelevant - modern CPUs are much more powerful than ancient sound cards anyway). SoundCore3D chip in AE-5 is used for EQ and acoustics engine features as far as I know. There's Alchemy support for ancient games though. Hardware acceleration has been dead since Windows Vista arrived.

5. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 580
    Is there even any point in using a soundcard when I always use direct mode?

6. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member

GPU:
    Quadro 4000m
    Too bad this Sound card doesn't support KS (Kernel Streaming) ... disappointing...

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Wot? Obviously. Even more so because the quality DAC makes the difference. Also the headphone amp on AE-5 is much better quality than on any motherboard.

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    The card does support Asio 2.2 and Wasapi Event/exclusive mode's and both works perfectly fine with both. If you need bit match playback, Wasapi in exclusive mode will do that, besides asio. I curious to why it not supporting Kernel streaming disappoints you. Unless there is an special reason. Unless it relates to linux but I do seem recalling linux supporting asio.

I did double check to see if Kernal streaming was working with different plugins I tried but it wasn't.

9. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member

GPU:
    Quadro 4000m
    Because I wanted to use JPLAY with it and it plays best with KS (more options), BTW, I heard KS was the best method.
    http://jplay.eu/

10. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Kernel Streaming was replaced by WASAPI in current OS's. Just use that.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    I would agree with you if it were not for the clarity improvement JPlay brings.
    However there is something even better than JPlay called HQPlayer.
    More stable and even clearer!
    Free to use for 1/2hr at a time if you dont want to purchase but it will auto quit without notice or saving changes.
    Seriously worth checking out.
    I dont play music without it now, its adds so much extra detail.

12. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
    Sorry i just found this thread, https://audioswit.ch/er does the trick for me, can hotkey the audio devices you want and it also has an icon in the sys tray for easier switching (like you can set favorites and swap between them with less clicks)

Also, i love my AE-5, i had to stop using analog multi-channel when i upgraded my mobo a couple of years ago and gave up my Auzen X-Fi Prelude. I've been using a Titanium HD, which worked well over optical, but i feel like this AE-5 is just nicer sounding. I have it hooked up to an old Yamaha home theatre that doesn't have HDMI, it sounds beautiful, lol.

I'm just wondering if anyone has messed with the speaker distances? My rear speakers are kind of far back and the max it lets you do in the SB Connect app is 2 meters.

13. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    WASAPI and current DirectSound implementations in Win10 support bitperfect output of the source with digital output. Things like HQPlayer is modification. If the audio sounds better after converting to DSD, then the issue is the craptacular hardware implementation in the AV Receiver's DAC and Opamp circuit for Coax/Optical/HDMI sources.

(And please don't try to sell me on HQPlayer, I am totally uninterested.)

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    You shouldnt answer if you have no interest lol.
    HQPlayer also plays PCM which is even more detailed!
    When playing DSD its a more laid back sound.

15. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    I am disappointed I lost dts and dolby through optical since I was playing on my tv and soundbar as I don't have a proper avr any longer. However even coming from a ZxR I have noticed an improvement in sound clarity. I am not an audiophile or hardcore audio enthusiast though. I even tried to convince myself to return the card after the lighting issues I had, but there was no mistake, I am hearing sounds in games I never realized before. The wild life in Far Cry 5 for instance is a lot more pronounced than I had noticed on my ZxR. I'm happy with my purchase and I'd do it again. I only wish I could have got it for less money

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    OnnA likes this.

16. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    another question... i hate rgb, so if i don´t use molex connector on the card will works normally without rgb lights?

17. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yes. You can turn everything off too.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yeah, the molex is only for lights and you can turn everything off from the drivers.

19. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    excellent... thanks

20. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Or do like I did, have a PSU with power surges fry it :p

Xofah likes this.