Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hoping it's better than the ZxR. I'll wait and see. Wouldn't mind a wee change.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
    Without volume pot (ACM module in this case) I would need to have to use 4% Windows volume as max. With ACM I can set Windows to 10% if I keep the ACM around 66%. The line out is just insane on this Zx...

They had this in their press release:
    [​IMG]

So basically it's a Sound Blaster Z/Zx with better DAC and better headphone amp.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    60 Bucks card plus some leds = 150 Bucks, way to go Creative. Thanks but no thanks.

4. warlord

warlord Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 390X MSI(1080/1500)
    No it's superior to Zx and ZxR plus the leds plus newer drivers. Pricing seems OK.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lacks optical in though.

6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^^How it looks like under the hood:
    [​IMG]

Jackalito likes this.
  8. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP EXTREME
    A far cry from the ZXR indeed. :p

9. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Where is the DSP and DAC?!

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    They are on the card.
    Odd question.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    What's the Power Connector for, is that required?

Cuz my ZxR just gets Power from PCI-E... even the daughter board passes thru the mainboard. No extra cables needed.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think it's for the LEDs. I'm not sure if it's required.

13. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX780Ti DC/OC
    While indeed about 0.01% of us here own DSD or other 32Bit files, I fail to see the general point of this. It might combine this ultra high end feature of playing 32bit lossless and mediocre gaming sound.

We're even going back in innovation.
    No optical out ( I might be wrong, but is there even a digital out? )
    No swappable OpAmps ( by this day I expected swappable caps )
    Gimmicky LED's because they take us for gullible teenagers.
    Ultra high-end playback with added inner PC noise.

Well, to each it's own. To the guys wanting/buying this: I'm still curious of how your review and rate it compared to last gen soundcards which didn't offer that much innovation over the cards before that anyway. I'm curious and would LOVE to be proven wrong.

If I'm allowed to formulate this rather arrogantly: Wake me when games use HiFi soundformats at 24/96 and/or present us with new levels of audio immersion that would throw me off my chair.
    The GSX1000 was promising but failed to deliver in features and flexibility.

Ahwell, I crave this feeling I had trying the nforce 2 soundstorm and after that X-Fi Xtreme music. Most things after were pretty disappointing.

Am I spoiled?

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    How do you get that there's no optical out? There's a toslink connector on the card. That's digital/optical. There's even 3 images that clearly show the toslink connector. The fact you can't recognize a toslink connector, invalids anything else you could possibly say here... Also, wtf would anyone waste their money on a dedicated sound card just to bypass the DAC by using a digital output? It's going to sound no better than using onboard audio.

15. warlord

warlord Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 390X MSI(1080/1500)
    Epic. Believe me there are tons of people doing it. Even those with premium cards double or triple the cost. Only I can accept their madness is because of latest software giving you the option to use enhancements through S/PDIF.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Master Guru

GPU:
    Two different furnaces
    Drea Creative, if I have a still very valid X-Fi Titanium with Optical IN/OUT and native analog 7.1 (or a Titanium HD or ZxR or an Auzentech X-Fi card or a Asus sound card etc..), why should I buy THIS card? I hope not for leds or fake 7.1 or meaningless 32-bit/384Khz (and I really doubt this will bring any improvement for beginners experimenting the first time audio creation content without buying something professional..).

I want a damn good multichannel (no upmix crap) analog card, with working and coherent software, good stereo headphones support at a decent price. Nothing more, nothing less. No upmix crap options for fake sorround et similia, which also clashes with games own mix engines. No leds, no fata1ty bullcrap etc...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    You shouldn't as the card is not aimed at you in the first place, If you need 7.1 asus has an couple of cards that do have 7.1 such as the Asus soar and DLX, I know the Soar has it as I had it for an while before switching to an ZXR for an while. While the Soar uses the same hp amp as the ZXR, they are slowy moving to other IC's for their headphone amp since the DLX uses an pair of LME9600s for it headphone amp instead of the commonly used ones on the higher model of cards.

When it comes to creative you may not get what you want regardless due to the issue with most PC speakers that are out or being released are either 2.0 or 5.1. Which means unless 7.1 PC speakers make an return since thats what it seems creative and some companies only care about, I doubt creative will start putting 7.1 muiti channel back on there cards to pull in receiver users and 7.1 headset users(yes those people exist too). You may have to look else where for that such as the two asus cards I mentioned.

The lights doesn't bother me at all as they can be turned off in the software, and even if they couldn't nothing that black tape couldn't fix.

no offense but I disagree on the card being useless, it might not fit your wants and needs. But it might fit some one else and they don't have to be an noob or just starting out in audio to find the card useful to them. Going with an pro recording box won't help you if you also game too as you won't have any of the features of the sound card that you may want.

It be something difference if you happen to not care for any of the virtual headphone or any other features that is on the card. But there are people that will and this card would fit the needs of those people.

The card fits what I been looking for months now without having to spend a lot for it and without having to have two separate products running to my jotunheim. Now I won't have to buy something like an SMSL M8 Dac and an sound card with the features an then run optical into the M8 and switch between inputs, because I have done that in the pass and its annoying and an mess of cables. Now it doesn't have DSD but The dac chip supports DSD so i really doubt creative even know, unless they have tried. But I can always convert DSD to PCM when I start getting more DSD albums.

You have to take into account that these people also may own 5.1 and 7.1 speakers, receivers,Headsets and are also using the card to send the gaming features to there external setups, or already had the card from an prior setup and instead of taking the trouble of selling the card and moving down to an lessor card, they move it over to there new setup. I have seen people with setups that included both 5.1 PC speakers, or even muiti driver headsets on the sound card and studio monitors on external dac.

I won't say that people don't as I have seen people mentioned that they bought an sound blaster ZXR or DLX or HT omega claro II just to pair it with an external dac/amp without ever using the actual analog outputs on the card, which is indeed an waste and is just plain silly.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  18. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    OMG not that. LED's. Just terrible. You know you can just turn them off right.. What a bunch of haters..

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    Is it possible to turn off the LEDs on the SB-Z?

20. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    I'm gonna go with.. YES!