Sound BlasterX AE-5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by angelgraves13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I think this is kinda longshot question and depending on person, but would i gain anything if i´d swap my Essence STX for this card?
    Using it for all, Music, Gaming, Movies, with Hphones and speakers.

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Dont mess with Creative drivers...if you are happy with asus stay with it..otherwise look for external sound card.

3. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I havent had Creative card for like 9 years. I do have a small recall that drivers and software was abit sluggish.
    But with STX when i got it, it wasnt easy with drivers either. Nodays they work just fine.

But i´m still curious, if someone has personal experience.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    I owned the AE-5 for months now, and if there are issues they are getting fixed. I only had minor issues with the AE-5 drivers so far such adding new custom EQ profiles and having there settings stick to there own profile but nothing major.

I also owned asus sound cards such as the HDAV and STX just to name an few, there was times where I evidently had to use uni-xonar, due to the official drivers giving me problems. Really no hardware will have perfect drivers.

AE-5 drivers are not like the older cards from creative, the drivers doesn't feel sluggish at all on my system.

My experience with the AE-5 been great so far, even tho I had it since it came out. I currently use it as an source into my Schiit jotunheim with my R70X and JBL 305s. The pairing been working very good, almost like they was made for each other. Which can't be said my Jotunheim's own Dac add-on module :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

5. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    So, if i can get my hand on a better op-amp, and swap it = small papers for a decent upgrade?
    Honestly, i can´t comapre STX to any other, than a integraded soundcard, and last "test" was like 8y ago, when igot my STX.

STX aint free, but i´m not complaining, after the driver issues, a great card.
    And a long time ago, i did read about the op-amp swap for head phones, i just don´t know where to find them.
    And how much they even cost.

I´m very pleased how all music, movies, gaming sounds atm, but i´m still curious, if the op-amp swap could make a difference in my ears.
    And, by saying that, even if i swap op´s to better ones, can this Creative card compete?

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    From my experience I always found swapping op-amps can improve the sound performance of whatever I'm installing them into rather it's an sound card or an external dac. As long I using the common known op-amps and not randomly rolling doing, randomly is an no no. Most importantly have the gear so you can notice it.

As for if the AE-5 can still compete when the STX has upgraded op-amps installed, While I have owned the STX, this was years ago. The only other card that I have owned at the same time was the ZXR, and with upgraded op-amps such as the LT1498 and the OPA627's. I found my self loving the AE-5 more when I compare the two. I used the same two op-amps when I had the STX. Now I not saying the ZXR with those op-amp sounded bad or any thing, I just found my self enjoying the AE-5 more. The thing is I can't say if that will be the same for you, you won't know til you try for your self.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Yea, i know, it depends who´s listening. You don´t happen to know where to find op-amps? And what is recommended one(s)? If nothing else, i just want to test it out, what kind of a difference it makes.
    But, i haven´t had any regrets on bying this card.

8. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 580
    Eh, Creative support imbeciles level 500.
    I tried contacting them regarding the Connect 2 crashing problem when switching speaker setup, and after quite some delay, they came up with "Oh it appears your kernelbase.dll file could be corrupted. Try it in different PC."
    At first I was puzzled how could they figure this nonsense out. I sent them the msinfo file, which is just system summary. But then it struck me - I also sent them the error from Windows EventLog.
    It says
    Code:
    Faulting application name: Creative.SBConnect.exe, version: 3.2.11.0, time stamp: 0x5a45ebff
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24000, time stamp: 0x5a4996d4
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
    Faulting process id: 0x1110
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d38bbab7504166
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Creative\Sound Blaster Connect 2\Creative.SBConnect.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: c4001792-f7b2-11e7-95da-902b34ddceaf

Those trained chimps couldn't think of anything better than "oh there is another file mentioned, that must be the problem!".
    Why did I even bother!

AsiJu likes this.
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    Come on, give them some credit....

Trained chimps are much smarter than that!

Typical tech support answer. It says faulting application name even and points to Connect2.

Also a broken file means you need another pc? How about just, you know, repair or reinstall...

Companies should really start screening their tech support guys a lot better.

10. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 580
    To be honest though, the EventLog errors are everything but understandable. Or, they simply make no sense. The way they're worded actually do imply the other library typically mentioned is at fault, but that's as far from truth as possible (at least that's always been the case in everything I've seen thus far).
    However, people working support should know this.

11. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Just stop with this BS already! I've had 5 or 6 Creative cards and never had 1 problem. Asus has been fine also.

12. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Depends on what your looking for. That STX has dolby headphone which sounds terrible. The reverb is nuts and sounds like your in a coffee can. Unless you have really hard headphones to drive, or you want the creative surround sound and interested in the RGB. Personally if it was me, I'd do it.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    What world are you live in? Earth?

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=742038

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/774byw/soundblaster_users_lost_all_your_audio_with_fall/

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-h...latest-windows-10-update-sound-blaster-z.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-install/7bb6f8ca-efb2-4802-8bec-6bcf7ada849a

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=742169

do you want more proof? i have plenty.

DISASTER, just like the support they have, stop defending them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 6:11 PM
  14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
    No issues with my Titanium Fatal1ty Champ on Win10 FCU.
    Using latest DK 4.0 Pack with Audio Console instead of Audio Control Panel.

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    I too have never had problems with Creative drivers and I've owned almost every card of theirs.

16. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Take into account how many don't know what they are doing. Its possible something didn't agree with the motherboard. I bet there is a common denominator. I bet there are a lot more people that didn't have problems. I've had other sound blaster cards in different machines and they were nothing but rock solid. For the record, I'm not defending them, its just the truth.

17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    What is Creative's drivers like today with DPC latency?