Sound Blaster ZX or Yamaha RX-A860

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by mrlips, Sep 28, 2016.

1. mrlips

mrlips Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I just bought a new Yamaha RX-A860 should I run analog with the sound blasterZX or run optical to the receiver?
    What do you guys think will be better?

2. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Only you, can decide which is better. What's better for me, may sound terrible to others. Experiment. Try both ways.

3. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    analog

4. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I prefer analog too. The OP has both of them, so experimenting should do it for him. He may end up liking digital, depending on his speakers, etc. etc. That said, analog IS the way to go. In my opinion.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I also agree, analog would be the best choice, but it always gonna be the op to decide for his self.

6. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Assuming your going to run 5.1 (6-channel) audio to the Yamaha?
    While the SB-Zx comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip, it only works with 2-channels, the headphone output and Front Speaker output, while the center, sub-woofer and 2 rear channels run off the DAC functions of the Soundcore3D audio processor.
    My guess is running optical (5.1) from the SB-Zx to the Yamaha will offer better over all audio quality.

Are you going to be plugging headphones (make and model) into the Yamaha?

7. mrlips

mrlips Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I ended up having to send the Yamaha back because it didnt have multi channel in. I then got a Marantz SR5011 because it had multi in. I prefer the analog over the optical. And no I dont use headphones I have a 5.1 setup.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would say go with analog. Receivers, generally use low-mid quality DAC's in comparison to a modern sound card. Unless you spend ALOT on the receiver.

You will find quite a few of us around here use receivers, but generally only for amplification.

That being said, by all means try both analog and digital and compare the 2 DAC's. Spend at least a week or two with each setup. This give your ear a chance to really hear the new sound signature.

Hope that helps.