Sound blaster Z vs normal XFI Titanium which one is better ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by playst, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    we are talking about the card itself, hardware based cards have their own SRC engines.
    It may be done in software for windows at certain points, hardware based cards do it on card. Not only in software.

That's the point I was making, any audio tasks are accelerated on a hardware based card by the hardware, not only for game based audio. It may not be that big of a deal but it is still the way they work.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    ..about what?
    Let us know what you are confused about and we will try and clarify if we can.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    null...

4. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    pagusas if you turn on SBX surround it disables DTS Neo: PC and vice versa. I'm using Edifier C6 speakers with ZX and its sound amazing. I do not use SBX surround. DTS Neo : PC will upmix to 5.1 in movies, aimp3 will upmix music. I have no problems with this card. I feel it was a great upgrade to a Auzen Prelude which was a great card.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I use Tru studio pro surround when I game using headphones, As I have it config in windows speaker settings with 5.0 with the sub disable, While using headphones in the recon control panel. Then with just Tru studio surround set to 100% and Dialog plus on 50% and it works very well in games, I like it over CMSS3D headphone and Dolby headphone with the same settings, When I had either a Xonar or a X-FI sound card, before I moved to a external device. I do have the advance option set so it sends it out to my external dac, so I get the features thru optical.

Since I use the Recon3D as a digital transport device into my audio-GD NFB-12.0 rev2, and no I didn't get the recon new, I got it used a couple of months ago for like 40. I turn all of that off and use the profile I made when I listening to music and setting it back to stereo.

I fiqure the SBX studio is the same as the Tru studio that on Recon3D cards any way. Just re-labelled, also some media players do have plugins which up-mixes music from stereo into 5.1 like winamp and then other players that i cant remember off the top of my head.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    what is an SRC engine? by the way did u get any chance of reviewing a SBX sound card?

7. Valagard

Valagard Guest

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376880

I did a whole comparison video of how X-Fi sounds different to the Z there.

The video has an entire summery of what I think of the differences between the two. Personally I find the Z fantastically better, while my X-fi Titanium for things would sound muted, or tinny like tin can sounding with 3D sound, I don't have that problem at all with the Z.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sample Rate Conversion

Yes, I am finishing up the ZXR review right now.

9. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    can u please put in the review how much FPS is gained in games and whats CPU load while gaming; when the sound blaster Z series is pitted against the x-fi titanium (HD and non-HD) series.

10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Buying a sound card for improving frame rates is pretty nonsensical.

11. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    for pc with an older cpu like dual-core conroe (E6xxx to E9xxx) it makes a lot of difference; unlike pc with newer cpu like core-i7, i5 oe i3.

12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Could you link me evidence of this? Even if it was true you'd see better improvements upgrading another part of the system, so I say again: buying a soundcard to improve framerates is nonsensical.

13. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
  14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I wouldn't say having a dedicated sound card makes a lot of difference even on a conroe rig. Sure, in theory, if you look at how they work and what they do, you'd expect some improvements maybe, but the reality is that you'll never notice the difference. I know, I had a soundcard and also used onboard on various rigs, starting with a cyrix rig in 1995, up until now (including a conroe rig).

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

16. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    what does onboard has to do with what i want; all i want is the comparison between zxr vs x-fi in terms of how much is the cpu load on conroe processors. is that too much to ask.....

17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You claimed that soundcards significantly improved upon FPS. Now that you're proven wrong you're pretending you never talked about it? Well done. The fact is your question has essentially been answered. It's not going to make much if any difference in frame rate.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    I have done some benchmarks testing for the effect of sound processing on cpu load for gaming. The results are already looking funny, though.

I will get the benches done after about 2 weeks hopefully, and finally put this idea to rest.

So, ati666, I wouldn't worry if I were you. The least you could spend for a soundcard that offloads from the CPU is a Creative Recon3D, $60, and that is sub-par, compared to other soundcards. Spend that $60 on a Pentium G2020, add in an ASRock H61 for like $50, and a stick of RAM, and suddenly these upgrades make more sense.

You buy a soundcard for its.... sound quality and features... no more, no less.

19. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Exactly.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    No, it doesn't. Unless we're talking some really old games. But then, a Conroe would crap on them regardless of whether it was rendering software audio or not. In a modern game, where most of the processing is done by the CPU no matter what, a sound card will never make a difference in terms of actual performance.