Sound blaster Z vs normal XFI Titanium which one is better ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by playst, Jan 2, 2013.

1. playst

playst Member

GPU:
    fsf
    Sound blaster Z vs normal XFI Titanium (not the expensive HD one) which one is better ? Is it worth the upgrade and can you hear any difference ? I am planning to use it with my Creative Megawork 5.1 speaker. Thanks for the advice.

I saw the Cirrus Logic chipset on Sound blaster Z only support 2 channel sound output what happen when I use it with 5.1 speaker will the sound quality still be the same ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Don't get a stereo card if you have surround sound speakers. I would advise you to buy a newer card not an old titanium.

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    The Sound blaster Z series is a 5.1 analog sound card, The separate Headphone out uses the Cirrus Logic . The 5.1 analog output's use another chip which is separate from the chip that the headphones out uses. But yea The Z is a 5.1 surround sound sound card with another output jack for plugging in headphones. So you can keep both 5.1 speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  4. playst

playst Member

GPU:
    fsf
    So the 5.1 output for Sound blaster Z what chipset is it using and is it better then the XFI Tianium ?

5. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I have not used Creative sound cards in years.
    But my gut says the older Titanium (non-HD) should sound better (CS4385 DAC chip?).
    but the Sound Blaster Z series would be better if you were planning on using headphones.
    As the Z series comes with a headphone amplifier and the older Titanium (non-HD) does not have a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Older games that use EAX 5.0 might benefit from the older Titanium (non-HD).

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Your gut is wrong, the TitanHD is much better than any card that came before it. Compare the specs of the TitaniumHD to the regular Titanium.

7. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    But it's stereo, not 5.1... Titanium Vanilla is what he should get imo.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I know, I think I misunderstood the posting. Fact remains though it is still the best card at that point. However, if he needs 5.1 it is not really an option.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  9. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    How could my gut be wrong about a card that was not talked about in the first place?
    The OP was comparing the Sound Blaster Z and the Titanium (non-HD).

10. playst

playst Member

GPU:
    fsf
    So may I know which one is better ? Sound Blaster Z or normal XFI Titanium (not the HD expensive one) ?

11. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Still think the Titanium (non-HD) is going to sound better.
    And you can get the Titanium (non-HD) off eBay for $50.
    From my best understanding, the DAC(s) built into the SoundCore audio processor are not that impressive.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    X-Fi Titanium has Cirrus Logic CS4382 DAC. Z has Cirrus Logic CS4398 for front channels, Z is definitely better for stereo use than Titanium, there's no doubt about that. However I'm not sure about other channels, they might use the internal chip DAC like in Recon3D and that definitely is not better.

13. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    well got my soundblaster z yesterday and compared to my titanium (nonhd) got to say there is some improvements most of all the bass sounds nicer on the z card ,but it took a lot of adjusting settings for my liking.and I allso found that when i plugin to my yamaha rx-v367 receiver when i choose the 5.1 settings it actually does change were i get it to change the subwoofer settings from card to receiver it actually does go up or down were as it didnt happen with the titanium card.

14. playst

playst Member

GPU:
    fsf
    Ok thanks for the advice !

I think Sound Blaster Z indeed uses better grade for it's parts in order to advertise SNR 116 so big on the box ! The left and right speaker output the loudest sound thus I think if they concentrate on this 2 with the highest grade chipset from Cirrus Logic should not be an issue.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  15. playst

playst Member

GPU:
    fsf
    Whao nice ! I do a bit of research and found that Sound Blaster Z uses better op-amps compare to the normal XFI Titanium too !

16. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Oops, never new the Blaster Z has an add-on DAC chip.
    (guess I need to go and clean some of the egg off my face)
    Guess that CS4398 is one of the reasons the Zs are more popular then the Recons.

17. playst

playst Member

GPU:
    fsf
    Thanks for the advice. Any more input feel free to post here.

18. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    The Z, spec wise, is better then the Titanium, and slightly better then the ASUS Xonar DX.

That being said: I'm waiting for reviews from sites that I trust before I ever recommend a Creative product *coughgettoworkrobcough*

19. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    I regret that I didnĀ“t buy the Asus Xonar Essence STX and choice Titanium HD.

I try both cards last May. Sound over SPDIF is equal at Music, but the Titanium HD really beat the STX Badly at Movies and Games, at last Music over Headset the STX did slightly better.

So i buy the Titanium HD and give the ASUS Card back, but now Creative just stop support this Card -.-

If you buy the Z-Series just know the Support sucks.

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Give it time, I sure a new driver release will come out, At-least there not like asus and EOl Xense that hasn't been out for a year yet and even stop driver support.

But I don't find creative support to be bad, not when they released windows 8 drivers for their older cards that been EOL. Like Their Audigy 2's and SBlive 24bit and what not.

Now if you wanna talk about who has the worst driver support, then go look at VIA, I Couldn't use my onboard as a digital transport device into my External Dac amp , because they don't care about fixing a driver bug that been in all the driver releases they did. Which stops me from using it, where the volume is super duper low with broken volume controls.:bang:

Tho in the end I do have options that I use on this Recon3D PCI-E that I got used to fix that issue i was having, That I do use.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013