Sound Blaster Z 5.1 Audio - Channels are mixed up.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Andy Jibb, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Andy Jibb

Andy Jibb New Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD 7770
    I have a Windows 7 PC with a Sound Blaster Z that's been installed in it for about 4 years. It's hooked up to my Pioneer receiver with the optical output so I can listen to 5.1 audio on my surround sound through the receiver.

It worked flawlessly for games and movies for the last 4 years. Then, just about a month ago, the 5.1 audio started playing out of the wrong speakers. And it will randomly jump around the speakers. It's like the DTS signal is mixed up or something. There is sometimes also a crackling noise.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and the SoundBlaster SBX software, switched PCI slots, and I just can't get it to work properly again. Could this be a hardware problem? Can a sound card "go bad" after a few years? Or is it probably a software/driver problem? I also tried rolling back my windows restore to a time before the problems happened, but the restore didn't take, for some reason.

I'm wondering if I should just go out and buy a new sound card.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Check the speaker mapping on the receiver.

3. Andy Jibb

Andy Jibb New Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD 7770
    It's not my speaker mapping on the receiver. I actually wiped the hard drive on the computer, did a fresh install of Windows 10, installed all the Sound Blaster drivers - and it worked properly for a while. Then, on it's own, it's just randomly starts getting mixed up again.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    What happens when you try a different encoder, say DDL (in SBZ control panel)?

5. j-p

j-p New Member

GPU:
    GTX1660 6GB
    Hello Everyone.
    I have about the same problem and using Dolby Digital Live in SBZ control panel. My soundcard is SBZ, using Win10(1903) and i haven't heard any other thing than that the sound (after x minutes working fine) start to jump from speaker to speaker. Sometimes the sound comes from 2 speakers, and after x seconds/minutes it jumps to another speaker/speakers and so on...

One trick i have how to get the sound back about 80% of the times quite easily. Click the speaker icon near the clock with right click and select the top one "open sound settings". Next Output / device properties, and there tap disable and re-enable sound.

This problem was first pretty rare for the first few months, put today it has done it 5-10 times in 1,5h.. extremely irritating. :mad:

In my case the current windows 10 install is taken from old PC, so there was some driver/etc installs on first boot.. but it eventually booted up nicely. i now its a lazy way but.. well i have no good excuses. :)

Does anyone have any ideas, i have none anymore.

TIA

-j-p

6. KHdV

KHdV New Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    Has someone got the solution found? Im having the same issues with mij Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 and Asus Xonar DX soundcards
    I am using analog outputs to my receiver (because of gaming)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Why dont you connect your GPU directly to your receiver? Much better audio than any soundcard can deliver.

8. KHdV

KHdV New Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    Ill tried conneting with HDMI but then I miss the 5.1 surround in the games.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    You will not lose 5.1 surround in games, in fact the surround experience will be better if you connect HDMI to your receiver.