Sound Blaster AE-5 Review - Long read grab an snack

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by GenClaymore, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    I heard some more improvement in the sound signature of the AE-5, this time in the bass, I can't put my finger on it. But what I hear from the bass is better then it was before. Comes off as being more controlled and accurate, this is with both the mid and low bass. It just took an while before the bass settled in. One thing is the bass is a lot better then it originally sound out of the box. The highs at-least to my ears sound like that it gotten more smoothed.

This was with the Direct Headphone setting with my ATH-AC400s and Direct stereo when I using the jotunheim and R70Xs.

Mufflore likes this.
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    Nice, glad its working out!

Unlike mine.
    I sent my new DAC back, I'll do a write up later.

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    I decided to try my Nuforce HEM 2 Earphones that I have owned for years on the AE-5, I didn't listen for long. But they worked very well on the 16ohm setting since it was the closest to 24ohms. Where 32ohm setting would had been too much, also I used volume around 5-6. With my quick listen they sounded very good, before I can do an longer listen.

I gonna have to find an way that I can directly plug the Nuforce HEM2 into the back of the computer into the AE-5 without having to use the front panel audio jacks, but they might have to do. when I get time I will do an longer sit down, to see how the AE-5 handles IEM's. I may also try with the two other IEM's I also own for comparison.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ 2126/6156 H2O
    Thank you for the review , excellent job ! Since i upgraded to windows 10 fall's creators edition 1709 my old sound card now 7 years old :D lol ( Creative X-Fi Titanium HD pci-e ) does not work anymore :/ on the new OS 1709 due to required new drivers for the newly released windows OS ( Used to work fine on windows 10 creators update 1703 ) , and since it's end of life Creative won't provide new drivers :rolleyes:.

I'm stuck with Realtek onboard sound but not for long as i found this review very helpful on wish i will based my new sound card purchase and hopefully it will last me as long as my old X-Fi Titanium HD ~7 years or more :)

5. djsolidsnake86

djsolidsnake86 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7850
    guys there is a way for change on the fly output from speaker to headphones? a link or a hotkey?
    if not, i must go everytime inside the panel and change this setting?

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    For the time being you have to go into the panel to change it, Only way I can see it changed is if creative gets enough feedback to do it, like they did with giving us the option to save the hp gain setting, which took feedback for them to do.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    How does the headphone out work with this? Is it the same as with Z/Zx where it changes windows speaker configuration to 5.1 when using headphone out (kinda annoying, especially if you just want pure stereo)? With Z/Zx it was also impossible to get headphone mix through line out (in case the headphone out was too loud).

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
    They give you two options for headphones, One is the Headphone 7.1(5.1) and the other is the Headphone(Direct). the Headphone(direct) is Stereo and by passes the DSP chip on the card and uses the Dac directly which also ignore every thing in the software panel except the hp amp settings. While the Headphone 7.1(5.1) Uses the DSP and the software suite, Plus its for is the HP 7.1 Virtual function.

The Direct headphone function doesn't give you the option to send it thru the line out, Only the headphone 7.1(VR Headphone) does, which is used to send the option to an external headphone amp or stereo amp. The main benefit of the Direct outputs is to by pass the DSP chip.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    So you can't really mimic line out through headphone out. Well, at least direct headphone is improvement. On Zx you can stereo direct works only through line out. I would be nice if they would add pure stereo headphone option but keep the DSP.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Oh, I forgot to ask... If you use the headphone out and the select stereo from speaker setup, will that stick once you reboot?
    [​IMG]

11. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    @GenClaymore
    The Connect installer gives you the option to install only the driver and avoid installing the Connect software/suite.
    Do you know if my speakers will be in Direct mode by default by installing only the driver ?