Sony unveils new DualSense controller for PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I actually like it, as a PC user. I have it turn from green to red based on the battery life while it is discharging, and from red to blue while it is charging. Then it turns teal to signify "fully charged". This gives me a very good idea of how much battery life I have left and how much charge time I have left. If I'm too concerned about it draining my battery too quickly (which so far hasn't been enough of a problem) I can always make the colors dimmer.

2. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Never liked any variant of the PS controllers. Can't get over my thumbs being right next to each other.

Prince Valiant and Witcher29 like this.
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    The Xbox controller looks cheaper.
    Good for racing games.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not a fan of the stick placement either, I loved it on the PS1 but not do much ever since then.

Saying that, I think the PS5 pad looks good. Not do keep on the shot from the front but the side/back one is better and also abit bulkier which is a plus for me.

Aetheticslly I still feel my DS4 controller is better than the either my X1 pads, it's when I pick them up I am less enthusiastic.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    At first sight, i have to say i don´t like it. What i always loved about the PS controllers are their simplicity and ease of use and this one seems to "sacrifice" them in exchange for style... Maybe they are good in real live, i have to try them first to make a final conclusion.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Is it because of squeaky plastic?

8. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I wish i knew what that meant lol.

It's just the size/weight just feels off so quite look that the DS5 looks abit more substantial even if i think visually i think the DS4 is better.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Looks like Sony is looking for accessibility feedback on the new controller. Some have asked for the buttons to be coloured like the DS4. Personally I know where the buttons are by now.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Squeeky plastic, like if you hold the controller a little firm the plastic squeeks.... when I tried my brothers ps4 I noticed it and was a little put off by it, my xb1 controller didn't do it so I was just curious if that was your reason.

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I honestly never noticed, i only used it for a little while on the PC as i liked that I could use Bluetooth but game support (at the time) was not great so I switched.

My 4 year old can switch between the two without even thinking, which makes me feel old.

KissSh0t likes this.
  12. Mundosold

Mundosold Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    Same. Even back in the ps1 days I disliked it. It was literally just a quick "me too!" by Sony after Nintendo revealed N64 had a stick. "YEAH? WELL... NOW WE HAVE TWO OF THEM SO WE ARE TWICE AS GOOD!"
    Most ps1 games couldn't even use one let alone both of them.

13. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Which is absolutely ridiculous, considering the vast majority of games have twin sticks, and the entire Xbox layout is based off a time when one stick and buttons were common in games still.

I don't even understand these arguments.

14. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Xbox controllers are notorious for this because of the battery door. I hate that thing with a passion. I can feel it on my hands moving all the time. DS4s have very minor give these days. Certainly no squeaking just minor creaking like most controllers.

I wouldn't mind better build quality for all controllers, Microsoft is the worst of all in this lol. Their Pro controllers are absolute dogshit quality for 200 bucks!

Hopefully Sony has no production issues like rubber this time around. But all my recent DS4s are very solid and feel great on PC and PS4.

Also, we sure as hell better be getting a black variant.

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    The back version that people have rendered look horrible compared to the two tone white and black Sony official.

16. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I don't want a bright white controller. It's too visible for me and distracting. The black looks great no idea what you are on about lol.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Bright white is distracting to you? Don't look at the controller. Problem solved.

18. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't remember that time exising.

It's the other way round imo. My memory of the original PlayStation was they had to add two sticks but without moving the D pad on the controller so they were stuck in the middle. Years later MS chose to to move the sticks based what they felt was a more "natural" position. I'm sure i read Bungie had a hand in the stick position when developing Halo, but i can't remember where i read this.

It's not an argument either, it's just a personal preference

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  19. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Huh? I have big hands. The offset analogs and larger Xbox controller are more comfortable for me. Not an argument, just my honest opinion.

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Yes couldn't agree more. I used to prefer the Playstation controller in the PS1-2 days but maybe it because I had smaller hands then.
    But I think it also could be that it was more rare for games to use both analog sticks back then but that is just a theory I can't remember that far back.