Sony unveils new DualSense controller for PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I like it, DualSense is a cool name to.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    I love how it looks. Hope there will be a black version too.

4. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the microphones to be hacked and featured in the media.

5. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I will buy either this or the new Xbox controller for PC use, maybe both when discounts take place, but it certainly will be hard to decide which to get. I certainly wish someone could test their durability somehow, because in the end that is the most deciding factor for me. Both controllers seem to be great either way, but I like more the back buttons and classic d-pad of the PS controller, though the ergonomics of the Xbox controller sounds great:

"Ryan Whitaker: We added a tactile dot pattern on the triggers and bumpers, which provides grip to improve feel and performance during gameplay. That’s something we’ve had on special edition controllers and fans love it. Now it’s the new standard. A similar, yet more subtle pattern is on the grips. The D-pad, bumpers, and triggers now have a matte finish to maintain a smooth consistent feel, whether your hands are wet or dry."

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-controller/

What other people think? Which is the better controller and why? Is the controller a deciding factor of which console you buy?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

I think it looks great... my only interest is how well it will function on PC.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    God still pushing the stupid lighting feature, all well and good for the first 30s you use it in a game right before you then turn it off completely because it serves no purpose at all, and no game actually uses it beyond pure gimmickery and it also helps extends the battery life of the device.

A few concerns, how much is a new one going to cost? Even now a replacement official Dual Shock controller isn't exactly cheap so I wonder how much one of these will cost with the extra tech it's going to have inside it.

How long will the battery last and better yet how long will it last one or two years down the line? The current controller starts out with a decent battery life that seems to rapidly drop off the older the controller gets

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    Assuming its still Xinput, it should function the same way other controllers have worked.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Even the new Haptic Feedback features?

10. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    Haptic unsure, isn't the switch controller using haptic? though it might be more basic of an on off function, or like a low mid high. That might be different

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Maybe it will be utilized only by video games that were made to specifically take advantage of the feature on pc.... kind of like the trigger rumble motors in the xbox one controller, most games don't use them... I actually had no idea they were a thing until about a year after getting the controller when playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and feeling the triggers vibrate :x

12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    To be honest it isnt something ive noticed, i'm sure they work and happen but guess i just dont notice them... I remember back in the day on mgs1 the game asks you to put the controller on the floor and it makes it move, that was quite funny and amusing. But you might be right, might be a game choice rather than all around. Which assuming the haptic is meant to give developers more control isnt a bad thing.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reddit is a fun place sometimes.

KissSh0t likes this.
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.1+
    That's one bulky controller and the childish rgb doesn't do it any favors. Also it having a built-in microphone is a big no.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    The xbox one controller has the rumble motors, which a loooot of games use... and then inside the triggers there are tinny little rumble motors, most games don't use them... so far the only game I've seen use them was the newest tomb raider, and I think the newer Forza games use them but I don't have them so I've never seen it myself.

"impulse rumble triggers"... I think is the proper term for them.

Going back to PS5 controller, I wonder how difficult it will be to open it, to replace the battery which will be inevitable.... hopefully it won't be like the google stadia controller which is put together in a way that makes it extremely difficult to dissemble without damaging it it.... just yuck, it's the worst controller.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    haptic triggers.

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    I can't say i have ever replaced a battery on a console ever, I still got my ps3 controllers and they work fine still with zero issues of battery, same with ps4 both consoles i used a ton and still do to this day

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    My brothers ps4 controller died in like... 2 years.. just left it always plugged into the charger xD

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  20. Thanatos

Thanatos Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 970
    Eh, I'm sure the guy(s) behind DS4Windows will figure it out. I'm kind of surprised by the apparent lack of underside buttons, though. I thought it would become the standard. I got the DS4 back button attachement and it's quite helpful.