Sony PS4 thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I had the chance to take a ride in a modified F1 before, it was modded to have 2 seats. Going high speed some 150mph along the track I did notice that everything beside me was not really blurred at all, If I looked over I could clearly make out detail. It's nothing at all like the blur's seen in games...or movies for that matter. If anything 60 fps would likely be closer to realism but probably still far from it.

But I agree that frame rates aren't really a big deal. AC4 on PS4 seemed butter smooth as I rotated the screen around, I would never be able to tell that it was 30 fps

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    It seems the PC community is more more botherd about frame rates than actual gameplay, as long as it is smooth i really couldnt care less.

PS4 and Xbox got some nice titles coming out, E3 should be interesting.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Seem that way doesn't it.

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    And that would be the reason. Yes, if you look out to the side, you'll see detail... even more so if your eyes find themselves trying to stay focused on a certain point and follow it back. If you're focused on what's ahead, though... chances are you won't see much of anything at all in your peripheral vision.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^True. Cant make out detail what so ever.

Its a bit like cartoons when it comes to reproduction in games. eg: anime hair styles look the part in the show, but real life it looks dumb. Games need to over exaggerate things like DOF, lens flares and such to make things look right, or if you did a 1:1 with todays tech, it looks either out of place or just flat.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    But your TV is not your peripheral. Every gamer looks at whats on the entire screen while racing. And no that blur is still not realistic in any way. Everyone notices whether the entire screen view is blurred or crisp because your TV is within your line of direct site which includes the passing trees and buildings. it shouldn't look like that within that same line of site. In a race car, you have actual peripheral vision and it's still not that blurry when focusing directly ahead at high speed.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Polish in Ubisoft terms means downgrading visuals. :banana:

8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    any of you take the plunge with a faster hdd? Im just curious how much it helps with texture pop in some games have. I know on my ps4 it helped quite a bit but im not so sure with the ps4 being so much faster than the ps3. I would love to put in a ssd but I dont believe the ps4 has any type of proper TRIM support.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I put this in my PS4. I can't compare speeds to the old one, but it seems to work ok.

10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    ....... ok.... even MENTIONING the idea of your TV/screen "not being in your peripheral" made me not even want to finish reading your comment. Yes.... the TV is in your "direct line of sight". But tell me... why do you think games, be they racing, shooter, what have you... have a "Field of View" setting? Because if every game only made it so what was in YOUR "direct line of sight" is what was visible in the game.... well... you wouldn't be able to see sh*t, now would you? Racing games wouldn't have any view besided what's directly out the front windshield. Shooters you'd barely know if someone was shooting at you from your 1 o'clock. Adventure games, you wouldn't know if you were walking up to an hill or a sheer cliff.

And even after reading the rest of your comment.... YES, we all get that the effect is exaggerated a little bit. but it's not like there's next to no blur in real life, and couldn't tell if you're driving next to trees or a wall in the game. There has to be something to represent a sense of speed other than a speedometer. There has to be some sort of motion blur. having some blur makes it seem a bit more realistic than having everything from what's directly in front of you to what's nearly off-screen be perfectly clear.

11. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Lets see, weak CPU cores, heavy OS's, and devs are finding out they have performance problems late in development? This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Seriously, in 5 years, how are Jaguar cores going to look? This generation of consoles is downright WEAK compared to what's already available on PC's. I'd go so far as to say this is the weakest console generation in relation to PC's, ever.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's because no one is going to pay $1500 for a console. End of story these consoles aren't as weak as you make them out to be. The game developers need to optimize to make their games run end of story. Remember most (red all) of the games we have received are running on game engines that have been ported to x86 give it a bit more time.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The Jaguar cores will be fine in the future, arguably better than now as more and more engines will be built around more cores and lower clock speeds.

Even on the PC, did Mantle benchmarks not show similar scores even when people heavily downclocked the CPU.

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Yea, there's a long way to go with the detail the PS4 and X-Bone are capable of. And from what i read... i can't remember what the tech was called, but apparently in the near future, the gap between PS4 and XBO could get even wider.

15. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    We are well past the point of diminishing returns though, 10 times is just numbers.

Rendering a unchanged PS3 game at 1080/60 takes 4-5 times as much power alone.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    A lot can happen between now and the next consoles. Considering the last console I owned was the PS2, I'm expecting nothing but greatness from the PS4. I've really enjoyed the games ive played so far on it.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Me too. Killzone and Infamous both show off what the PS4 is capable of. Those were just early games, I can't wait to see what games are released in a years time from now. E3 is sure going to be entertaining.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also I expect Uncharted 4 to look great on the PS4.

20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Hey... someone else from PA

But yea... i couldn't imagine Uncharted EVER really looking bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.