Sony PS4 thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    No matter how you look at it.... with how much the DS4 is supposedly doing (which i still don't think is QUITE as much as you seem to think it's doing, but yes... more than the DS3 with the lightbar and touchpad. Oh... and almost forgot the speaker), WHY in the hell didn't they think ahead and say "You know... this might be a good time to go with a larger battery."? It's not like they don't make higher capacity batteries that don't weigh much. Even if they DID weigh more, it's a perfect reason to increase the weight of the controller. Hell, the first cell phone i ever owned, which was released back in 2002 (Motorola i58sr) had a larger battery than the DS4 does 12 years later.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    I agree a bit, DS4 only weighs 210g (only 20g more than DS3 which is super light), considering the X1 is about 280g and the wired X360 is 300g, they could have afforded putting like 20g more into the battery.

4. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    And actually.... if you REALLY want to bring a comparison into the mix since comparing my mouse to the DS4 doesn't do it for you.... let's tip the scales to something a bit more potentially even... if not leaning the OTHER direction. Let's compare the DS4.... with it's 1,000mAH battery and paltry ~4-8 hour battery life..... to something like.... my Nexus 5. Touchscreen.... an ACTUAL screen that displays stuff and sh*t, WiFi, Bluetooth, mobile data of every sort, GSM (since... you know, it's a phone, and has to take/make calls), speaker, vibration motor, and a whole lot more processing power under the hood.

2,300mAH battery.... and right now, it's been on for nearly 15 hours, and still has 45% battery life left, with 1 hour and 5 minutes of screen-on time. That's also with some light playing of casual games. So a little over double the battery capacity, in a smartphone, and has the potential to get ~4x the battery life?

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    How much did that phone cost in comparison to a DS4 though?;)

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    That, plus a phone has some pretty intelligent power saving hidden all over the place.

DS4, not so much.

But hey, nothing on the Wii U pad (though on min brightness its reasonably long).

Oh hey, someone finally did a test, difference is near insignificant.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05...-dimming-the-light-measured-for-all-settings/

Compared to turning them off all together.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  7. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Not to kick a dead horse:

Gamecube shipments

1st year - 3.80 million
    2nd year - 5.76 million

Wii U shipments

1st year - 3.45 million
    2nd year - 2.72 million

Enough said.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    I can see the Wii-U doing well this year. Both the PS4 and XBONE don't really offer anything new, Nintendo does. With the release of Mario Kart 8, it do well for Nintendo.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I got the Wheelstand Pro with my G27 as well, so that's $500 wrapped up in it. Hopefully the PC version at least has native support for it because trying to adjust all the settings in Logitech's software is a serious pain and I never can get it to feel right.
    Logitech doesn't seem to be interested and not sure how much of an agenda it is for Sony but I would think at least it would be for Polygamy and GT7. If not it will be such a sad fail.

Couple a G27 with an Optical Rift and I bet that would be an amazing experience.

10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    .... didn't realize that electronic devices had a self-worth calculator to determine just how well they should perform based on their cost.... lol

power saving features can only take you so far. And... you know... just about any time you're actually USING the phone, any sort of "power saving" pretty much goes right out the window.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    • Its a highend product with highend parts, its designed to be used on the go and last as long as possible between charges as people who use them are people who go outside and do social things where power outlets arent always available.
    • A DS4 controller is used at home with the ps4 so an outlet to charge is always on hand, so they save money by not sticking a battery that rivals a phone in the controller.
    • A cell phone battery needs to be safer than a controller. One factor as an example, when it comes to heat they're often kept in pockets in the pants that warm blooded morons like us humans tend to have. That pushes the price up. The battery also needs to be made to not interfere with the many types of outputs signals the cell phones use.

2. Not true in any way. A PC has power saving modes to reduce power usage as your using your pc, check your gpu control panel, the Windows Control panel for Power Saving features, screen brightness settings.. the list goes on so far that if i kept going, i may actually end becoming concerned with global warming due to all the energy i'd use to list them all.

As per .1., I dont imagine you'd carry your DS4 controller around in your pocket, hence the example i used. Unless of course you're like that kid out of Freestyler (Rock da micro phone..).

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  12. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
  13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
  14. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't know just see it on a website, maybe its just coming out in Japan ?.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It is.

As the article says, this is the japanese launch.

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    1.2 - Yes, a DS4 is used at home, and charging ports are always around, but not always necessarily within range. If you're sitting in your living room playing on a big screen TV... chances are you don't have the PS4 connected to a long HDMI cable so that it can be sitting on the end table next to you. Playing games on a wireless controller that seems to be, more often than not, tethered to your game console or a power outlet or something of the sort, is annoying.

1.3 - In regards to interfering with output signals from the phone... generally the battery (or battery cover in some phones) has a NFC circuit built into it. Other than that, the battery isn't really ever placed in a location where interference with proper workings of types of signals, be they bluetooth, GSM, mobile data, GPS, etc... isn't really a possibility. The battery usually doesn't have much of anything between it and the display of the phone, as to not create a risk of something in the phone damaging the battery. The various antennae are also usually in a combination of places... typically at the top or along the sides.

As for making the battery safer than what's in the controller....

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/DualShock+4+Battery+Replacement/22074

I dunno about you, but if safety is concerned... i, personally, would think that a battery encased in hard plastic would be much safer (less risk of external damage and potentially even exploding from catastrophic failure (If the battery gets hot enough, it might melt the plastic enough to deform it without actually breaking through the casing)) than a battery that's encased in essentially just a thin plastic/foil layer.

2 - Yes... i know there are power saving features on PC's that are quite nice. I even have my system set to shut off my front intake fan if the CPU temperature is below a certain threshold (which i have set just a hair above average idle temp). But just because you set up all these power saving settings, doesn't necessarily mean they're NEVER overridden unless you say they should be. You can have it set to lower your clock speeds when idle, but you'll still see it jump up to normal every little bit, when it feels like something that is going on in the background might need a bit more power.

There are also things you can't really turn off on the cell phone... at least not without making it seem like it's doing LESS than the DS4 is. Could turn off data, but you wouldn't have your e-mail being checked automatically. You could turn off Bluetooth, but that's one of the few things that the DS4 and a phone have in common. You could turn off GPS, and not affect much... but then what's the point? Phones do throttle back the clocks... but i'm sure just like with PC's... if it feels it needs more juice (like when checking for new e-mail or the like), it's not going to hesitate to bump it up a couple notches to get the task done a little quicker.

17. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    I think one thing to consider here is also the physical dimensions of the battery inside a mobile phone, considering the size of the battery in my Samsung Galaxy S5 and indeed my old Galaxy S3 it's easy to see why such batteries aren't used in the DS4.

Unless your one of these people that sit in front of their consoles for 12 hours straight playing games then I don't really see the problem with how long the battery lasts, certainly hasn't ruined my gaming experiences on the PS4 at all.

I'm just happy they actually included a rechargeable battery as standard unlike Microsoft who insist on forcing you to buy fresh batteries all the time or get one of there play and charge kits which die within a year.

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Seeing as the battery generally tends to last 4-8 hours.... it doesn't even have to be anywhere close to "sitting in front of their console for 12 hours straight." Assuming your controller was charging overnight, you could play a game for a bit in the morning or afternoon.... go do some stuff like see a movie or go to dinner or work or what have you.... come home and play more, and have to charge your controller again while you're playing.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^Problem.

Solution

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This is what I use. It charges the controller faster than standby mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.