1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PS4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Don't know dude. My Little Cousin got EA access a few weeks ago and we had a blast with Madden 18 and Rory Golf. There is even a course from a Battlefield game in I just enjoyed the commentators comments on that Battlefield course it was funny.

Never had that issue with my PS4 and my Samsung Smart TV with GameMode turned on. What does this flicker look like? Like for example the Tv is losing its signal?

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yes, you can see it best on the line underneath the trophies, that certainly is not right, does it go away when you put sharpness down to 0?

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    IF i turn sharpness to 0 the flicker goes away, but it also makes everything get blurry, IF i turn off gamemode it stops on the tcl s517, but my samsung ln32a550 I never use gamemode on it it cause it never made diffrence in latency imo definitely made image worse though, but sharpness has to be 0 on that tv too to not have the flicker.

what gets me is Why gamemode off on tcl fixes it, but on the samsung it was never on and it happen then, plus the fact it ONLY happens on the XMB menu with the active backgrounds no place else does it happen with the ps4, im not sure which to blame the tv's or ps4

Hmm I wonder if it the dynamic theme it self i never tried reverting that, I think I will try that next

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    WTF, now that I turned off the Black Hole Abyss 4k theme, the flicker stopped... I cant believe all this time it was that, it still dont make sense why turn off gamemode on that theme fixes it

how sad, I got the theme specficly cause I liked it,

but I guess atlest I know it not ps4 but that theme

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Glad to see that you figured it out. Yeah that sucks that the PS4 didn't play nice with that theme you had set. I heard good things about 4K TVs with retro consoles like NES/SNES etc that they do very well on those TVs vs the older 1080p screens with the scalers that retro console enthusiasts use. Also I heard that there is less input delay on a 4K set vs a 1080p set.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont have heart to connect my snes to my 4k tv, check that theory out

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I hear ya. I don't hook up any of my old consoles to modern TVs because of the input delay and they look weird on a huge screen like that.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it not that they look wierd its that 240x240 or what res was used back then look horrible no mater what scalier no mater the tv, my 27" 1080p monitor those games look horrendous on it, only way I found so far to make those olds schools look they way I remember them, is get CRT that 19" or something which hard to find let no place to put such thing, or use a emulator like Higan that has shades that make the games look like I remember.

Input lag is irrelevant to me unless it really really bad, seeing I been using vsync for decades I no longer noticed it, only time I really notice input lag now is is I try to run some of the olds pc games, didnt have mouse acceleration and likes in to which ment horrid input lag, I can hook up my snes to such tv and notice no input lag

3 months ago I using nes to play zelda 2 on 60" 1080p tv and let me tell you i didnt notice any input lag, but the eyes cried from how it looked, I cant wait till LCD/LED tech is replaced or advances to point Fixed resolutions are thing of the past

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well it depends on the game too as well as the TV. I remember trying out Mario 3 on my 22in 1080p Vizio screen and I was getting noticeable input lag that was causing me to die at certain spots. But I was playing Double Dragon III on my brother's 40 something in. Samsung Smart TV and I got to the final stage and didn't notice any input delay of any kind. Yeah I prefer the emulator route because I have lack of space or have any proper equipment to plug in any of my old console to play the classics on.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah not all tv have the same input lag, some tv gamemode does nothing other tv's game mode actual make noticeable difference some tv's dont need to use gamemode,

I know my ln32a550 samsung had gamemode but it game mode did nothing, and i didnt notice any inputlag, but when I started using the S517 tcl I got, with out gamemode on input lag much worse then the samsung and with gamemode on it made huge difference in the input lag, it was also better then samsung

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB
    I'm finally be able to get my hands on a PS4 Pro today, i won't be able to play alot of games as i don't have my original account anymore.
    At least i'll have God of War 3 Remastered and Destiny 2 to play with even though i own Destiny 2 on the PC i'll just play an Warlock wich i haven't played with on the PC.

Have there been any new F2P titles like MMO's or shooters released this year on the PSN Store? i was only able to find a few and mostly the same games but maybe i've missed some as Warframe wasn't on the list.
    I went to free category without any other filters, maybe it didn't find everything.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I was gona take trip to my local gamestop to pick up a 7215b model ps4 pro, but I called first and find out about poilcy on returns, apparntly IF i bought any new console from them it must be bought with warrenty or it cant be returned for full price, one would only get trade in value.

So that makes thing more complicated for me, cause only way I gona keep pro is if the 7215b model fixed the coil whine issue, which means I need to check Bestbuy or something, I know if I order from Amazon the will take it back and refund my money no question asked, but at this point is just easier to do this actual store, cause I will find out with a minute of start the system up if the issue is fixed, as all i need to do pop MGS:TPP in and I will know instantly. and if it still there I can just bring right back.

Coil whine is not normal not on the scale, some pro games like MGS:TPP make, mean while other pro games it barely noticable. no many people think this normal as as such sony seem to be ignore the issue.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB
    Guess i'm lucky, i bought a used one but don't hear this on this one. Had no idea they had coil whine issues.

The fans do get very loud sometimes, but luckily my speakers blasts that sound away. :D

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    If you take the top cover off (see youtube video) , it wont be as noisy.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Sony confirmed todaythe ps4 successor is under development, and hopefully this time they include a 4k optical drive as i am getting sick of moving my XBX back and forth from living room to bedroom, least with two consoles having a 4k drive as standard you can leave one on either tv.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45801953

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If they include 100% bc with ps4 game discs, I'll dump pc.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    me too, especial if it in next 2 years, i wont even bother to get pro, then again after hear this I went to 2 different idea, just trade in my ps4 for pro and pay 250$ and deal with coil whine it has or just not bother, if the next system has BS for this gen from actual discs or hell it DLC content I wont even bother with pro.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I see the 7215b model has the fiqure 8 power plug, so there might be hope that coil whine was fixed

20. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    If the specs end up being something Ryzen 2 based it might actually be good (for the launch anyway) unlike ps4.
    This generation was much too restricted by their choice to go cheap early on, CPU being the biggest "price" to pay for that choice. 19's 7nm tech does make things look more promising than 13 tho, so im hopeful.